“Good Indian Restaurant”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I was recommended this restaurant by another contributor, three of us went tonight, and had a good meal.

Tuesday is obviously a quiet night, and although the take away did a brisk trade for most of the evening we were the only ones in the restaurant.

The service was first class and the waiter very polite and informative, the starters were good as was the choice of pickles with the poppadoms, though my Pakora was a little dry.

The main course was excellent, and the mushroom pilau was the best I have tasted in ages.

The coffee let it down though, very underwhelming, but all told a good find and we would go again.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Although often quiet, it is the best place in Durham to dine on Indian cuisine. The menu is not as wide as say the Spice Lounge, but the service s better, and the food is certainly first class. There's plenty of space and time allocated to diners, and a 'cheaper' nights to suit a limited budget (Thursday and Sunday).
Because it's away from the hussle and bustle of the city centre, you can almost guarentee a table on turning up 'ad hoc'. The family owners provide a warm welcome and have worked hard to improve their restaurant and reputation.
I would recommend this to anyone wishing to dine alone, as a couple or a family, the food is fabulous and the staff will go the extra mile to ensure your experience is a good one.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Unsure what to expect as I'd purchased a Groupon deal for 2 to dine for £12, consisting of 2 starters and 2 mains (exc rice and sundry items). Upon arrival you can see the building is half pub half restaurant which is great as you get the full choice of beers, wines and spirits and of course soft drinks for those drivers amongst us. We were greeted by friendly staff who remained attentive throughout our meal without being overbearing. Clearly a popular haunt with locals as we were the only ones there at 7.30 but by 9 there were many diners present. The starters of lamb tikka and tandoori mixed kebab were well presented and absolutely delicious, the staff asked prior to serving our main course to ensure we were ready. The mains of lamb karai and chicken tikka sag palak (not served with a sauce like korma or masala) were absolutely gorgeous and I believe this to be one of the best Indian meals I've had the pleasure of tasting. The service is outstanding, so don't hesitate in paying this little gem of a restaurant a visit if in the area.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

This former Scottish & Newcastle public house is now half pub and half Indian restaurant, and what a transformation. As 2 separate entities, the restaurant is tasteful and welcoming, and the staff are attentive and helpful. We had a Thursday night special and it was a real bargain, all washed down with a couple of pints of Indian lager. I'd highly recommend this place, and it is in walking distance from Gilesgate/Belmont. I hope to visit again very soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Two of us dined here fairly early on May Day bank holiday Monday, it's a pity we were the only one's in apart from another couple. Zafflong is my local indian restaurant and it never fails to deliver consistently good quality food at a reaonable price. The staff there are always pleasant and courteous too. The restaurant is usually much busier on a Sunday or Thusday evening when they have a set menu on, which is currently just under ten pounds. Well worth a visit.

2  Thank John T