“Poor food even worse service”
Review of The Blue House

The Blue House
Ranked #55 of 305 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Stockton-on-Tees, England, United Kingdom
“Poor food even worse service”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I went for a meal there last week with my partner. When we arrived we were greeted by a waitress that was in such a mood and when I asked for a table she didn't even look at me she just pointed to an empty table and said 'there'. Another waitress came and took out order and she seemed OK. Me and my partner order steaks, i ordered T bone and my partner ordered sirloin. When they arrived mine looked OK bit over cooked but my partners sirloin steak was more like a frying steak it was that fin it was unbelievable. I wanted to say something because i was that gobsmacked how they could serve that as a sirloin steak but was told just to leave it. It was hardly touched as it was chewy and greasy just like the onion rings on our plates just full of grease and the chips were tasteless. During the meal the staff could see that the steak was hardly touched but they just walked past with their miserable faces and never checked if everything was OK. When we finished the waitress just came over cleared our table never asked any questions about the meal or why we had left our food she just cleared the table and walked off. I went up to pay and was greeted by another miserable face she never asked if everything was OK just took the payment and walked off!!!!!! Quite a shocking experience

• Visited June 2014
8 Thank Ricky D

Sunderland
“Worst experience rude staff needs training in customer service or just sacked!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Worst experience ever... Came in on Tuesday 17th June with my 3 month old daughter and a friend. We sat in the furthest corner out of the was as we had a pram, restaurant was not busy at all. We were told we could not sit where we were as people would not be able to sit where the pram was placed said would move pram if anyone came in but no the young girl said no.. An older lady also came over and said we had to sit in the doorway with my 3 month old being in the draft. I said it was not the best place to put her because when other customers come in the pram will block then and I would refuse to keep moving her everytime door opened. Older lady said no that wouldn't happen but fact a young baby could only be placed jn the doorway is a disgrace the looks we got off the 2 members of staff was disgusting...worst customer service I have ever recieved. Never again!

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Wallerwaller123
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Family lunch”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

On a recent visit to Durham we met up with family for lunch at the Blue House. Excellent value for money, freshly cooked food, so much to eat that we didn't eat for the rest of the day. My husband had the "whale" and chips - could have easily fed 2 of us. Well worth a visit.

Visited May 2014
Houghton-le-Spring
“bank holiday lunch menu”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I visited here for the first time today 26/05/14 and had lunch, my wife ordered a hot beef sandwich which she was very pleased with, I ordered Cumberland sausage ring, when it came to me it was not a ring but two jumbo sausages, not as ordered, otherwise it was nice. We will be back but not to order Cumberland sausage.

• Visited May 2014
Peterlee, United Kingdom
“Shocking service. Will not be back!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Came here for pub lunch with friends visiting the area for the first time. We arrived at 4:55 in the car park and were told it wasn't open for another 5 minutes so we sat in the beer garden. As soon as we went into the pub at 5pm the staff were unfriendly and not welcoming at all. It seemed we were a burden to them.
We ordered starters and mains and collected drinks at the bar.
The starter of breaded mushrooms was served with a mouldy bread bun. When the waitress came to collect the plates I quietly told her about the bun. No apology was made.
We then received our main meals which were fine.
We then went to the counter to pay, and I asked about a reduction of price as one was not offered. I was then told that my starter was not meant to have a bread bun with it anyway! Regardless of this fact.. It was a mouldy bread bun on my plate, whether it was meant to be there or not.
The attitude we were presented with was disgusting and I was embarrassed to have brought friends from away from the area here. The lady in question 'Denise' has ZERO customer service skills. She shook her head, raised her voice and would only take money off the bill for one starter which meant we had to pay full price for the other, which was more than the '2 starters for £7'. Ridiculous customer service and when I asked for the manager I was refused and told they weren't in right now.
As we left across the car park I also saw this particular member of staff pointing and speaking to colleagues about the incident in a very rude manner.
I will not be returning and will be taking this matter further.

• Visited May 2014