“Worst Ever!!!”
Review of BHS cafe - CLOSED

BHS cafe
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My family and I were visiting Durham from Northumberland and we left the BHS restaurant quite frustrated.
We were firstly disappointed by the poor choice of food on offer, however while ordering our food we were served by the most abrupt and miserable two staff members. They did not offer a please, a thank you or attempt to make any eye contact with myself or the other customers and I felt absolutely offended by their rude behaviour.
Their polite colleague working on the till offered to warm my soup up which was £4.20 for 1/2 bowl with a piece of white baguette; I had offered to taste it first, however she kindly insisted that it should be reheated, as it was just warm.
Her colleague then appeared 'not' to be able to touch the bowl of cold soup, mimicking that it was too hot. She used her apron to lift it off the counter, however after the soup had been reheated in the microwave for several minutes, she presented back to me with bare hands. The soup was splattered all over the bowl, again she made no eye contact or offered and apology - how rude. The soup actually tasted lovely and I enjoyed it much better hot thanks to the lady on the till.

Throughout our visit, both staff looked as if they didn't want to be there, they are being paid a wage to serve paying customers, but what upset me the most was when I observed the same member of staff approaching a table occupied by a well behaved four year old boy, (whose Mum was away from her table briefly)
She walked past his table, slammed down a plate of pr-ordered food which startled him and then walked off, his face said it all, I felt ashamed for her and sad for the little lad who was left wondering what he had done.

I feel that Management may wish to consider investing in some serious mandatory training before it is too late and they have no customers left. This would be a shame as BHS Café offers lovely views and it could be a nice little retreat for shoppers/visitors.
There are so many people who have who would love an opportunity to work in a busy Durham City cafe. It is a shame these two vacancies are wasted on staff who have no manners and shouldn't be lucky enough to have a job.
I will definitely never return to this Café, I don't think the staff were having a busy day, the Café was virtually empty on Friday lunchtime and I feel they need to ask the reason why?

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We were tempted to try the BHS cafe having seen a sign advertising 'cream teas'. The cafe is tucked away at the rear of the store and has a wonderful view overlooking the River Wear. What a huge disappointment! We were told they were sorry there were no cream teas- no scones left (it was mid afternoon) and we would have to wait 20 minutes. We settled for a cake and a lukewarm latte and went to find a table.There were plenty of tables but they all needed clearing and cleaning. We found a table overlooking the river, cleared it ourselves and found some paper towels to wipe it down with. The floor was dirty, strewn with remnants of food and drink. What a poor impression of BHS and of Durham. This cafe needs new management and staff who need training in customer service skills. Walk on by folks!