“best steak i have had...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shadforth Plough

The Shadforth Plough
Ranked #74 of 304 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Durham, United Kingdom
“best steak i have had...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

fantastic food........ excellent value will visit again !!! best steak i have tasted EVER and £11!!!! brilliant

• Visited April 2014

“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

First time visit for us to the Plough. Upon entering,we were not sure where we needed to be, but a friendly staff member took us through to the dining area. Menus were handed out and our drinks order was taken and brought to us- a nice touch no need to stand at the bar and get your own. Sunday Lunch was £6.95 and if you wanted a starter only £1 more !. I skipped the starter but two of the party had the Prawn Cocktail which was fine if nothing special. However our Sunday lunch choice of 2 pork and 1 beef hit the spot. The gravy,roast potatoes and home cooked yorkshire pudding were delicious.An individual veg dish each completed the meal. For me I would have liked an extra slice of Beef as mine came with two smallish slices.However the Pork eaters in the group felt the amount they received was just right. 2 starters,3 mains a pint of lager,a large glass of red wine & a sot drink came to £30. Thats excellent value for money for such a tasty lunch.We will be back

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Durham
“Pushed out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Visited here after being recommended by a friend. Very disappointing, waitress was very rushed, not enough staff for a Saturday evening. Food we ordered was not available.. Felt rushed to look at menu again, however the food was quite tasty when we got it. Asked to move into the bar at 10 as they were setting up for the next day. Felt like we were an inconvenience and in the way.

Visited January 2014
Shadforthplough, Manager at The Shadforth Plough, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Please accept our sincere apologies for being rushed out of the restaurant and for the meals which you requested being unavailable. There is no excuse for being rushed the restaurant should be open until the last table leaves, then there is always the option to move into our comfortable lounge or bar area. With regards to the food being unavailable, we did change our menu in January so depending on the date of your visit you may have been caught on the changeover, again please accept our sincere apologies. I have sent you a private message to see if there is anyway we can compensate you for your poor experience.
Durham, United Kingdom
“warm and homely welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

my husband and I just happened to be passing and delighted that we called into this warm and friendly pub. A log burner and cosy seating was perfect on a cold evening. The lady behind the bar was friendly, she even asked if the music was ok. She was able to explain the menu. the food was yummy, we had starter and mains, unfortunately we didn't have room for pudding. We will definitely be back. I wish I'd bought a jar of their home made chilli jam mm.

• Visited January 2014
peterlee, county durham
“Really impressed how nice it is now”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Dropped in at The Shadforth Plough last night which was a Saturday night and after the very friendly waitress had a quick chat with the chef, we were shown to a spacious table in their well decorated dining area. Straight away we noticed the large group, 20+ already seated awaiting their meals but our drinks order was taken immediately and alo received the menu which had us spoilt for choice. My wife ordered a king prawn starter and I the liver pate which were both mouth watering and well portioned, great value at around the £5 mark. We probably had to wait a bit longer than usual for our mains while the large party received theirs but the the staff let us know and it was no bother really. I just enjoyed another pint of Hobgoblin. I chose the stuffed chicken with haggis and wrapped in bacon covered in the best peppercorn sauce I have ever had, complete with chunky chips it was the best meal out for months. My wife chose the Plough burger with blue cheese and chunky chips and was also very impressed with the quality. Not bad pricing too, if I remember correctly it was £8.50 for my meal and £6.95 for the burger. It had been many years since we last ate here but will be returning very soon, probably with the kids in tow. Great food, great staff, cosy modern dining area. Well done.

1 Thank rogersclan