“Great food, great service, great place.”

The Shadforth Plough
Ranked #61 of 305 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Durham, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service, great place.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Dine here on a regular basis and am always delighted with the service we receive. The menu has plenty of choice ranging from pub classics to more adventurous dishes, all of which are beautifully presented.

The food is always delicious and they have the best chips in the county. Have also been on a number of sundays and the Sunday roast menu is not to be missed with unlimited veg and outstanding gravy!

Service is always with a smile and the front of house staff could not do more to accommodate the needs of their clients.

The pub has recently changed hands and the improvement is remarkable.
I hope the shadforth Plough continues to go from strength to strength and I look forward to eating here for many years to come!

• Visited June 2014

Durham, England, United Kingdom
“Pork and black pudding pie - to die for!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was faced with an unbelievable choice, to be told that not only could i eat from the bar menu, but that the dining room menu was available from 12.00 till 9.00pm
If you see the menus you will know what I mean,
I chose the above mentiond pulled roast pork and black pudding pie with cinamon apple puree as a starter OMG! absolutely divine!
Then what to follow sticking to the same theme I had the roast belly pork on a bed of leek mash the crackling was 8 inches long and the crispiest bit of crackling ever. The roast pork melted in the mouth and was so tasty, the only criticism and its a very personal one to me, I would have liked the leeks in the mash to have been cooked a little longer but then according to members of my family I like my veg too well done
Apart from that the meal was truly amazing the place on a Thursday lunch time was busy! I cannot report on the deserts sad to say i was too full to try one, but there is always next time

• Visited July 2014
“Great food, lovely atmosphere with top notch service”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I visited the Shadforth Plough on the strength of a recommendation from friend. They hadn't said a great deal other than that they'd enjoyed the food, so I went with open mind. While the food was certainly above the average pub Sunday lunch offerings, what really stood out was the level of the service and the warm welcome I reviewed. The food was brought in a timely manner and no request was too big (or indeed too small). What struck me the most was the warm, friendly and relaxed atmosphere. I'd unreservedly recommend the pub for a family dinner or dinner for two.

P.s Pork and jam roly poly for the foodies out there. Great meat, with unlimited veg and gravy.

Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"British Village Pub at its very best””
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Two of us went for lunch and we'll certainly be going back. I thought the chips were really good, as was the rest of the food and the beer. My burger was generous and juicy with tasty sides. My wife is a bit of a connoisseur where pudding is concerned and doesn't like it when things are made fancy just for the sake of being complex but she reckons the jam roly poly and custard is the best she has tasted which is high praise indeed,

“Last minute find”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I happened upon The Shadforth Plough when we were visiting the area last week and were very pleased with the food and service we received.

The pub was very clean inside and the bar area was quaint and traditional. The draft ale was Hobgoblin which my husband enjoyed. The restaurant was bright and quite busy with families eating when we arrived (surely a good sign on a Wednesday night) so we decided to stay for some food.

I'd highly recommend the fish sharing platter for a starter (it says it's for two but it's very generous so could easily 3 or 4 people for a small starter).

Wednesday night is curry night (2 x curries and 2 x drinks for £10!), so we gave it a go for our main courses. The curries on offer were all chicken but the staff were very accommodating when I asked for a vegetarian option and they made one up for me. We also had a side order of chips which were delicious - chunky and freshly cut, just as home-made chips should be.

I went for coffee instead of dessert (Illy espresso which was very good), my husband had apple crumble. It took about 20 minutes for the dessert to arrive which was longer than we were expecting, however when it turned up it was worth the wait. One of the best apple crumbles either of us had tasted!

We mentioned the delay to the landlady when we went to pay and she was incredibly apologetic, offering us a discount off our next meal. The staff service overall was excellent and value for money was exceptional.

Speaking to some of the locals at the bar afterwards, the pub has just recently changed hands and is going from strength to strength. We'll definitely be coming back next time we're in the area to try it again.