“Not as bad as I had feared”

Durham Climbing Centre
Ranked #25 of 57 things to do in Durham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Durham Climbing Centre - the premier indoor bouldering venue in the North East! Durham Climbing Centre caters for every level of climber from beginner to very advanced. Whatever your age or ability, at Durham Climbing Centre there is a challenge for everyone! Suitable for ages 3 years to adults from beginner to advanced! Rock Stars Children's Club, Coffee Lounge & CAFE, Equipment Shop. FREE Adult Coaching Tuesday's from 7.30pm, FREE Core Workout Wednesday from 7.30pm. Regular events & competitions. Free Parking. Baby change facilities
396 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 257 helpful votes
“Not as bad as I had feared”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I've no interest in climbing but my two children were invited to a birthday party here. It is quite a big climbing area and even though many of the children had no experience the trainers went through the basics before they ran a series of activities on the children's wall (there is a bigger adult wall in a neighbouring room). The children really enjoyed the experience (less so for us watching) and it was a long 1.5 hour session. Afterwards a room was provided for a birthday tea but the parents of the birthday boy provided the food. The one criticism I have is that if I'd booked this venue for a party at £12 a child I would expect food to be provided. Overall, I was impressed with their arrangement and it is good for something different to the usual parties.

2 Thank durham05
DurhamClimbingCentre, Owner at Durham Climbing Centre, responded to this review, 6 May 2016
We are very happy to hear that your children enjoyed a birthday party at Durham Climbing Centre. Our experienced and qualified team is constantly aiming to offer the highest quality care and coaching in climbing.

To ensure high quality coaching, we use a low instructor: child ratio for parties. The DCC party package consists of two whole hours of party time. For the price of £12 per child all children get their own coaches, all equipment (climbing shoes and chalk) and half an hour use of the party room afterwards. Parents can choose to bring their own food or let use arrange the catering. We can provide a children’s party buffet including sandwiches, pizza, fruit platter, mini muffins, crisps, sausage rolls and juice for only £5 per child.

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again soon!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE"”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I joined DCC three months ago, as a fun way to get into shape, building up from twice a week, to four or five times now, after work I head straight there!! I have found all the staff genuinely welcolming on all occasions, and I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, so much so that I have bought the annual membership! .So thanks to all at DCC, and I hope that you continue to go from strength to strength.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Dean B
DurhamClimbingCentre, Owner at Durham Climbing Centre, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thanks so much for your review. It is great to hear you are enjoying the facilities and the relaxed atmosphere.

We have lots of additional benefits available for annual memberships including 10% off shoes and clothing in the rock Hard Equipment Shop.

Climbing is an activity that you can progress at quite quickly with regular visits - as you have discovered. If you need any advice on moving up a grade or techniques / best practice feel free to come along to one of our free coaching nights every Tuesday from 7.30pm & Thursday from 7pm.

See you at the centre soon!
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good bouldering”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

A good little indoor bouldering wall. Nice variety of problems, changed with good frequency, when attending regularly you should have time to perfect the problems your stuck on before rerouting. Staff are friendly.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Lathrisk
Thanks so much for your review! As you mention, there are always lots of new challenges to try with new problems added every Friday. We hope to see you again soon - check out our regular events and competitions like the Summer Boulder Ladder - great for tracking your progress and meeting new people.

Hope to see you at the centre soon!
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Epic”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I love bouldering and discovered my passion for the sport when I came to the Durham Climbing Centre for my birthday about two years ago. I have been back unfortunately only one other occasion (wish I could go more) and again it was a birthday event. The place is always great fun and if you're lucky, quiet enough to have the place to yourself with only the odd two or three other climbers alongside you.

The staff are excellent, clearly enthusiastic about their sport and what they do and know what they're talking about. Only wish I could be doing the same job!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Asgardale
Thanks so much for your review! We are so glad you had such a positive experience and felt welcomed by the team. Everyone is very passionate about the sport and our centre to provide the best experience we can - whilst making it as FUN as possible!

Hope to see you again soon!
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great! ”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I had a great time at a friends party here, the instructor was very helpful and encouraging! The walls are great although sore fingers are inevitable!

1 Thank hannahlk
Thanks so much for your review! Great to hear you enjoyed the party, they are always lots of fun!

See you again soon!