The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Bowburn Hall(Durham)
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
1,013 results
All reviewsmotel stylemain buildingfish and chipssunday lunchroad noisecourtyard roomdurham citypark and rideexcellent value for moneybooked this hotelsconesmain coursean evening mealmember of staffnight's sleeptwo night stayfour poster bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Let me begin by staying in a lot of hotels all over the country and this one was smashing arrived late on Monday night and was greeted by friendly reception by zoe the duty manager was presented with my key and room number very quickly as she could tell I wad tired and retired into my warm Cosy room very freindly staff had trouble with wifi at first but the maintenance guy was on hand and sorted it out overall supasted my expection better than any of hotels I have stopped in Durham including premier inn

• Stayed: May 2011
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2011

Dear Naujommis

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving such kind words regarding your recent visit to our hotel, you comments will be passed down to all departments, and we will certainly look forward to your next vistit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

Enjoyed a lovely stay at this hotel, evening meal was Amazing and reasonably priced, desert (chocolate fondant was to die for)!!, staff couldn't do enough for you, great value for money, will definateley be back!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Dear loopylor100

First of all I would like to thank you for all your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I will pass all your comments to my kitchen team about the amazing food you received & the service you received during your stay. I'm so pleased we exceeded your expectations, and will look forward in welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

we stay at many hotels and have been disappointed by many but this hotel left us delighted. on arrival we were a little disconcerted by the outside as it looked a little like a motel but it turned out to be great. we were able to park right outside the door to the room so no problems with luggage. the staff were helpful and friendly (the asst manager works very hard and nothing is too much trouble). the room was very clean and comfortable. just across the road was a bus stop to Durham City which offers a great day out or in the opposite direction you have Darlington. In the evening we enjoyed a lovely dinner in the restaurant at a very reasonable price. So an all round good experience so i would have no hesitation in recommending a stay here.

1  Thank KathG11
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

Dear KATHG11

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time in leaving a review regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I will pass all you amazing comments down to Paul my assistant food & beverage manager & all my team. Also I'm delighted you enjoyed the food in the restaurant and would have no problem recommending our hotel. Thanks again and we will look forward to your next visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

We recently stayed at the hotel for a friends birthday celerbration. We were very pleased with the level of customer service and the quality of the food and rooms. - Thank you for a great evening!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Lucy_brand

Lucy first of all I would like to thank you for leaving a review on here. I'm delighted you found the service, rooms and food to a high standard. I will pass all your comments down to the team, your kind words are a constant reminder to us all that we must always exceed our guests expectations. We will look forward to your next visit with ourselves.

Reviewed 23 May 2011

Arrived and all seemed well, checked in and went to room which was modern and clean (if a little far from the centre of the city). We had purchased a deal where we received a free glass of champange and a bottle of wine in the bar for me and my partner. Wanted to explore Durham so we went to the bar to see if we wanted to eat. Sat down and looked through the menu but could not decide so thought we would have a glass of wine and go into Durham to see what else was on offer. Waitress asked what wine we would like and went off to get the bottle. A minute later manager returned and said we could only have the bottle of wine if we ordered a meal in the retaurant as this was their usual offer. I showed him the voucher we had purchased on the internet paying for the wine up-front and seperate. He found a photocopy of another voucher from a different place that said the wine was with the meal. I showed him our purchase live on my iphone and he still refused to honour what we had paid for, so we left and had a fantastic meal in Durham.
When we returned around 11pm we went to the room (37) and as soon as we walked in we found the noise. We were a thin wall away from the boiler and pump house and the noise sounded like a truck running next to the pillow! My partner went to reception to see if we could be moved rooms, to which she was told "no" and that it was just the sound of "the pipes" and it would go away when people stopped using hot water. It didn't , and even with earplugs we slept badly. Breakfast was well cooked, but very small.
Staff were just rude and were not interested in whether the customers where happy. We would not recommend the hotel to anyone as 1 night was 1 night too many and there are a lot more hotels closer to the centre of the city.

Room Tip: Avoid room 37 as it is next to the boiler house!
1  Thank Mattrout
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2011

Dear Mattrout

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving your review, I would certainly like to respond to some of your comments you mentioned on your review. First of all you purchased a living social deal online at £39.00 bed & breakfast for two people with a complimentary glass of champagne on check in, which you received part of the amazing offer is if you also dine in baileys bar &restaurant you receive a free bottle of red,White or Rose wine. This is clearly stated on your voucher and online when you purchased the offer. As you can clearly see in a previous review left on here before your unfair remarks regarding this offer, they mentioned they needed to dine to receive this offer. On Saturday evening your complaint was logged regarding the wine offer and you spoke to Paul the assistant food &beverage manager,regarding this I can only apologise if Paul could have handled the situation a lot better as I was not working this evening. Also my night porter did log an issue regarding the noise in room 37 this room is not next to the boiler house however you were certainly justifield