“Wonderful welcome”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Just a one night stop with my daughter to see University. All the staff were helpful and friendly and we enjoyed our dinner and breakfast. Our room (no.3) was small but perfectly adequate the only trouble was the noise. As it was very hot and humid that night we left the window open which meant we had noise from the busy road and as we looked out onto a car park from cars leaving late at night. We also had quite noisy neighbours in the early evening and after speaking to reception I know we would have been moved if another room had been available. But I will just mention when our neighbours returned to their room in the early hours of the morning I could hear everything they were saying to each other, what they were watching on television and how much they enjoyed the cup of tea they had. I don't know if this was thin walls or loud people but I did not sleep well.

Room Tip: Avoid lower number rooms on the court yard
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Dear Sophie040

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm pleased you thought the staff were helpful and friendly. And you also enjoyed your dinner & breakfast during your stay. I will pass all your kind words to all departments, your words are a constant motivation to us all that we are moving in the right direction since opening last year.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

There are newer reviews for The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Stayed here as part of a larger group and have only good things to say about the hotel. The welcome was lovely the room and bed in particular was very comfy. The food in the restaurant was really good and great value for money - 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £25. Julie on reception deserves special mention for helping us out with a small problem. Will definitely use this hotel when next in the area perhaps to attend one of the Las Vegas nights. Thanks Honest Lawyer for making our stay a memorable one. The Whittlesxx

Dear TheWhittlesxx

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving a review on your recent visit with ourselves. I'm pleased that your thought the bedroom was lovely and the bed very comfy. I'm pleased you thought our steak night on Wednesday was fantastic value. I will certainly pass your kind words to Julie I'm sure she will be delighted exceeded your expectations. Myself and the team will look forward to your next visit, maybe on our casino evening on 9th September.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

You will need a car to find this place although we did notice a bus stop across the road, it is a 15 minute drive to the centre of Durham.
The staff in reception, bar and restaurant were cheerful and glad to help.
Room was on the motel-style ones outside and were a bit small but fitted a queen-sized bed, desk and set of drawers. Bathroom was immaculate with the necessary toiletries.
Window looks out onto a field, didn't let in too much light but just for a one-night stay was more than satisfactory.
Breakfast is cooked to order and there's plenty of variety for cooked or cold.

Room Tip: Livingsocial provided a good deal
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2011

Dear Priscilla25

First of all I would like to take the oppurtunity to thank you for all your comments regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm pleased you also thought all the team encountered were cheerful and glad to help, and we were a lovely find & good value. I will pass all your kind words down to all departments, your kind words are a constant motivation to us all. We will look forward to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

I stayed here on a Living Social deal and it was fantastic!

The service was great (receptionist was particularly friendly and had a good personality!) and all of the restaurant and bar staff were equally as nice!

We ate in the restaurant and everyone enjoyed their food...breakfast the next day was also very tasty!

No negatives about this hotel...just a taxi drive away from Durham centre and would definately stay again!

Dear 2088dan

First of all I would like to thank you for all your comments made regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted you thought the was great and very tasty, and team encountered were very friendly. I will pass down all your kind words to all departments, your words are a constant motivation to us all. We will look forward to seeing you again in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

First impression, quite American. Staff were very nice and welcoming. The room was very nice, cosy. Liked the fact that we could control the heating! The food in the restaurant was absolutely gorgeous, the nicest meal we have had! We did not want to leave in the morning as we felt so comfortable and could have quote enjoyed another night. My first thoughts of the American feel soon disappeared, thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Will definitely return! Then only fault i had (personal taste) i thought the tartan throw and cushions add a cheap and dated feel to the room. Has not put us off though.

Mick and Hayley

• Stayed: June 2011
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Dear Haymick

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted read that you found the rooms nice and cosy. Also you found the food in our restaurant gorgeous & the nicest meal you have had, and the service and staff you found very nice and welcoming. All you kind words will be passed down to all the team which is a constant motivation to us all. We will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Me and a collegue stayed at the honest lawyer for the first time back in april due to work around the county and would reccomend this hotel to anyone and everyone! The rooms are fully modernised with 42 inch samsung plasmas in every room fixed to the wall. The beds are luxurios with lovely crisp white sheets on. The rooms are clean, bathrooms are brand new and allways cleaned to a very high standard which is very important in my eyes. The foods brilliant and is presented very well. The best thing about this hotel is the staff, allways willing to help and allways got a smile on there faces making your stay that extra bit more pleasant. To finish i just want to say that there is not anything bad to be said about this hotel its very modern and swanky and cleaned to a very very high standard, staff are absolutely fantastic and ive fully enjoyed my stay there on each of the four times i have stayed. . . . enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice but the suites are fantastic!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Benwaddington

Dear Benwaddington

First of all I would like thank you for all your amazing comments regarding the standard of our bedrooms and property. I was delighted to read you found the quality of food was brilliant, you will be glad hear only yesterday we received a AA Rosette for our food. i'm also please that all the team at our hotel exceeded your expectations on each visit. I will pass all your comments down to the team, your kind words are a constant motivation to us all. We will look forward to seeing you again in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

A bit late in writing this review so apologies to the team at the Honest Lawyer.

We booked a short break over Easter for ourselves plus our son and daughter -in-law, using the hotel as a base to explore the local area.

We had adjoining rooms in the courtyard, which were well maintained, clean, comfortable and pretty quiet. Plus we could park the car right outside the door, which was very convenient.

We ate in the restaurant the first night and were quite impressed. The menu was excellent with plenty of choice, ditto the wine menu.

The second night we we were warned by the management that there was a large birthday party booked in so it may be advisable to eat out. We were given directions to what turned out to be a great hotel/restaurant a few minutes drive away. Not often that one establishment has the confidence to advise you to eat somewhere else for your convenience.

My wife has a bit of a bad back so hotels can be a bit of a lottery, not this time. The beds were so comfortable she commented that it was the best sleep she'd had in ages. We took a cheeky peak at the mattress to try and find the supplier - no luck. Upon our return we made enquiries through Best Western's Customer Services dept by email, within minutes we received a call from the hotel. They gave us the name of the manufacturer, a local company in Newcastle. Apparently we weren't the first to enquire about the comfy beds. A call to Palentine Beds got one on order and it duly arrived a week or so ago delivered by their own driver. What superb service and what a comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

Dear VonTwinzig

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time in leaving this review regarding your recent stay with ourselves at Easter. I'm delighted to see that you throughly enjoyed our courtyard bedrooms and found these rooms clean, comfortable and well maintained. During your stay you dined in our restaurant on the first evening and we are so pleased you thought the food was excellent.

As you mentioned we do get some great feedback regarding the quality of our beds & mattresses, and it pleases me to see that my team were more than happy to assist you regarding the purchase of your new mattress.

'Quote'Old world values and service is still alive and well in the form of the team at the Honest Lawyer. A brilliant hotel and a complete find. ' to read this comment from yourselves makes my day, it is always our pleasure every day to assist and exceed our guests expectations on every visit and I'm delighted we acheived this. I will pass all your comments down to all the team and I'm sure they will be as proud as myself regarding all your kind words.

We would be delighted to welcome you back if visting Durham in the not too distant future, thanks again.