“Excellent!”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My husband and I have just returned today from a one night stay at the Honest Lawyer. We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms and it was very clean, well resourced and presented. When we arrived we checked in with the Manager who was extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming. We explained that we were thinking of having a few drinks in Durham and asked how much approximately a taxi would be, the Manager gave us an approximate cost however, he also let us know about the bus service which is just outside of the hotel. As it happens, due to the rain yesterday, we decided to spend our evening at the hotel and had a few drinks and then ate at the hotel. I am so glad we did - The food was excellent! The restaurant was fully booked last night however, this was not a problem we could still order from the menu and sat within the bar area. The Breakfast this morning was also of very high standard. I also feel it is important to mention the staff at this hotel, they could not have been more helpful, polite and friendly. The customer service at this hotel is Outstanding - the Manager, the staff behind the bar and all those encountered throughout our stay were wonderful - we will certainly go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear hearny66_11

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted you found the food in the evening excellent and the breakfast in the morning to a high standard. It has made my day to read that you the highlight of your stay was the 'staff at our hotel were helpful, polite and friendly and you thought the customer service is Outstanding, from myself and all the team encountered. I will certainly pass all your amazing comments down to all the team, your words are a constant reminder to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations on each visit. We will certainly look forward to seeing you again in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed here on business as I was interviewing early the next day.Julie and all of the staff looked after us superbly. My bedroom was in the main hotel and was lovely. The room where we interviewed (the birch suite) was set up well and they sorted out refreshments promptly. All of the staff were friendly and efficient and I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Dear CheshireMillie

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. It's a pleasure to read that Julie and the team were superb and looked after you during your stay. And your bedroom and meeting room exceeding your expectations. I will pass all your kind words down to the team, as you comments are a constant source of motivation to us all. We will look forward to your next visit in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed at the Honest Lawyer with two other couples and experienced a most enjoyable week-end. The rooms were clean and spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Although we had no need to refer matters to the staff, they were most attentive and friendly, without exception, whilst at the same time remaining unobtrusive. A highly recommended experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank bobabel
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

Dear bobabel

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted to see you found the rooms comfortable, clean & very spacious and all the staff you encountered attentive and friendly without exception. We are so pleased you both had an enjoyable experience with ourselves and we will certainly look forward to your next visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 July 2011

This is our ninth week end visit this year both as a couple and with family. Being well travelled in both business and pleasure over recent years, this is by far, the most accommodating and friendliest hotel we have ever stayed in which is reflected in the number of visits to the Honest Lawyer. Staff at all levels go out of their way to ensure every need of the customer is met. A strong visual presence by management in addition to a raft of hard working and committed staff in the bar / restaurant area, house keeping and the kitchen create a warm and welcoming environment that you MUST experience to believe. The food is of an exceptional standard and the overall service supports the recently awarded and well deserved AA rosette. Amazing value for money and a must for anyone wanting to visit the Durham area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EVOsDoncaster

Dear EVOsdoncaster

Having the pleasure to read your review is a breath of fresh air to myself and the team. All your amazing comments regarding your many visits to our hotel make us strive to do even better on your return, and we always enjoy your company when you visit. I can certainly speak for all the team in saying that we certainly look forward to seeing you both when you get sometime away from your busy work schedule and have so many enjoyable weekends with us. Your custom is what we based our business ethos on when we opened a year ago, exceeding our guests expectations on every visit with great food and service which will want them to return time and time again, you both are an amazing example of this which we are very proud of. We look forward to seeing you both very soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Just a one night stop with my daughter to see University. All the staff were helpful and friendly and we enjoyed our dinner and breakfast. Our room (no.3) was small but perfectly adequate the only trouble was the noise. As it was very hot and humid that night we left the window open which meant we had noise from the busy road and as we looked out onto a car park from cars leaving late at night. We also had quite noisy neighbours in the early evening and after speaking to reception I know we would have been moved if another room had been available. But I will just mention when our neighbours returned to their room in the early hours of the morning I could hear everything they were saying to each other, what they were watching on television and how much they enjoyed the cup of tea they had. I don't know if this was thin walls or loud people but I did not sleep well.

Room Tip: Avoid lower number rooms on the court yard
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Dear Sophie040

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm pleased you thought the staff were helpful and friendly. And you also enjoyed your dinner & breakfast during your stay. I will pass all your kind words to all departments, your words are a constant motivation to us all that we are moving in the right direction since opening last year.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Stayed here as part of a larger group and have only good things to say about the hotel. The welcome was lovely the room and bed in particular was very comfy. The food in the restaurant was really good and great value for money - 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £25. Julie on reception deserves special mention for helping us out with a small problem. Will definitely use this hotel when next in the area perhaps to attend one of the Las Vegas nights. Thanks Honest Lawyer for making our stay a memorable one. The Whittlesxx

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Dear TheWhittlesxx

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving a review on your recent visit with ourselves. I'm pleased that your thought the bedroom was lovely and the bed very comfy. I'm pleased you thought our steak night on Wednesday was fantastic value. I will certainly pass your kind words to Julie I'm sure she will be delighted exceeded your expectations. Myself and the team will look forward to your next visit, maybe on our casino evening on 9th September.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

You will need a car to find this place although we did notice a bus stop across the road, it is a 15 minute drive to the centre of Durham.
The staff in reception, bar and restaurant were cheerful and glad to help.
Room was on the motel-style ones outside and were a bit small but fitted a queen-sized bed, desk and set of drawers. Bathroom was immaculate with the necessary toiletries.
Window looks out onto a field, didn't let in too much light but just for a one-night stay was more than satisfactory.
Breakfast is cooked to order and there's plenty of variety for cooked or cold.

Room Tip: Livingsocial provided a good deal
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2011

Dear Priscilla25

First of all I would like to take the oppurtunity to thank you for all your comments regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm pleased you also thought all the team encountered were cheerful and glad to help, and we were a lovely find & good value. I will pass all your kind words down to all departments, your kind words are a constant motivation to us all. We will look forward to welcome you back in the not to distant future.