“Amazing....cant wait to come back”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Stayed here with my partner in July and had a lovely time. The hotel is beautiful. We stayed in one of the rooms in the main part of the hotel. The room itself was very spacious, with lots of information on local amenities to hand in the room, the view from the rear of the hotel on to the fields is stunning. The hotel is less than a 10 minute drive into Durham city, with bus stops outside the hotel. If you are looking for somewhere to eat though I cant recommend highly enough Bailey's restaurant within the hotel which has just been awarded with the AA Rosette. The food is of outstanding quality. Plenty of choice, I found it difficult to choose what I wanted, it all looked so delicious. The staff there are very friendly and extremely helpful. Breakfast is served in Bailey's restaurant, plenty to choose from with fresh fruits, pastries, cereals and the best cooked breakfast I think ive ever had. We cant wait to come back.

1  Thank emster78
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Dear emster78

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm pleased you thought your room in the main building was very spacious and plenty of information on local amenties. I'm delighted that you found the food outstanding in the restaurant on the evning and also you breakfast is one of the best cooked breakfast you have had. And also during your stay that all the staff were very helpful and friendly. All your kind words will be passed down to all departments, your comments are a constant motivation to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations on every visit. We will look forward to your next visit in the not to distant future.

Best Western Honest LAwyer Hotel

Reviewed 4 August 2011

The North East of England is one of my favourite places. Lovely countryside, nice people and loads of places to visit.
The Honest Lawyer is really a Motel approx. 4 miles from Durham City. It was refurbished after a flood in 2009 and the rooms, whilst a tad small are nicely decorated and clean. A bus runs from outside the hotel every 15 minutes which will cost £4 return per person. A mile or so down the road however is a Park and Ride Scheme that will only cost £1.70 per person, including parking, so if you are not fussy about having a drink in town, it is ideal. Only open until 7pm though. So the hotel is well located for visiting Durham.
The staff are friendly and the bar and dining area is very clean and modern. Drinks are reasonable, food a little pricey but not over the top. The hotel backs onto a field and in the summer Swallows are darting around all over the place so it is pleasant for nature lovers.
The downside: We had a bad experience with the food but to the staff credit, they wiped the bill, including the drinks we had had. This did put a bit of a dampener on it but I think I'd be inclined to give them a second chance.
The shower twice suddenly became scalding hot. Luckily I reacted quickly or I could have been burned. It then took a while to recover the heat when I turned it right down. the toilet was also not fixed correctly to the floor and rocked when in use.
That aside though, given the nice setting and staff, I think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Dear andyhx

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted you found the staff the highlight of your stay and an ideal location when visting Durham. I can only apologise for the issue regarding your food, I think I can personally recall this the other week. As we very rarely have issues in that area, on this occasions we did let you down, and for this I can only apologise for, but on the very rare occasion when we get it wrong, we try to be as honest as possible, and rectify this straight away. Which I'm glad to see this was the case, I will pass all your feedback either positive or constructive to all departments, as your words are the only way we can develop the business further and exceed our guests expectations. We will look forward to you returning to the hotel in the not to distant future, and please give further feedback regarding your next stay.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed here with my family in June and had a fantastic weekend. Lovley food and brilliant service. Staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them.Would definitley recommend the Honest Lawyer!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Dear DOUG545

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted you found the food brilliant and the service friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I will pass all your kind words down to all departments your comments are a constant motivation to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations. We will look forward to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We live in Durham so do not stay at the hotel, but we eat out regularly and have to say that this is probably the best food you can get at really good prices. All the food is freshly prepared using local produce - even the fat chips are home made and divine!

Excellent chefs, and the menu is changed regularly so we never get bored, and we generally work our way through the menu trying everything - not all at the same time of course! If we were staying in the hotel we would recommend you eat here because you would not get better in the City.

The staff are second to none, service superb, they are always willing to go that extra mile to keep you happy.

There is regular good entertainment on a Friday night.

Very relaxing calming atmosphere - try it, its well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2011

Dear rowtietowers

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visits to our hotel. I'm delighted to see, that you enjoy the freshly prepared food that we serve, and enjoy working your way through our different seasonal menus since we opened last year. And YES the chips are divine! Also that you find the service is superb, and staff second to none and always go that extra mile. I will certainly pass all your kind words down to the team as your comments a constant to reminder to us all that we must always exceed our customers expectations, thanks again for your custom and I'm sure you will enjoy each visits for many years to come.

Best Wesern Honest Lawyer Hotel

Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is really more of a motel than a hotel; the rooms are laid out around a courtyard and you park your car right outside your bedroom door. This means, of course, that to get to the main building, which does have some bedrooms in it, you need to walk in the open and when we visited it was quite chilly and wet (in July).
However, the staff here were amazingly friendly and really well-trained. It's not often that we stay in hotels where we feel that the staff are actually interested in talking with us, but these staff were and what a difference that makes.
Being motel-stlye, you step straight from the car park into your room. The rooms are protected from the elements by a porch-style roof that runs the length of the rooms, but it doesn't provide much cover when it's raining and windy.
We had a nice big room with cosy furnishings: tartan cushions and a rug over the bed made it feel welcoming. However, it wasn't all that warm, and bearing in mind that our visit was in July, I wonder just how warm these rooms are in the winter.
The window of our room looked out over farmland, so it was quiet at the back, but there is considerable noise at the front from the busy road that leads straight into Durham, so do ask for a room as far away from the road as possible.
The bar area was inviting, with the exception of what seems to be the obligatory large-screen TV blaring out stuff that we certainly didn't want to watch. It was a pity that the two comfiest chairs were directly under the screen - not the best place to want to sit.
The restaurant was also very inviting, and service was very good indeed. Food-wise, there was a wide choice of freshly cooked meals and I have no complaints at all about the food that we had: a perfectly cooked meduim-rare steak that was very tender.
Breakfast was also very good, again with a wide choice and it was all served piping hot.
This is a good place to stay to visit Durham, which is just a couple of miles along the road, and it's very close to Durham's Park-and-Ride into the city centre. It's also really easy to get to Barnard Castle (Bowes Museum) from here, plus all the other tourist attractions in the area.
Because of the friendliness of the staff, the relaxed atmosphere and the good food, we'd definitely stay here again, even though you do have to brave the elements to get to the resturanat and reception.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, Front Office Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2011

Dear penny4them

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted to see that you found the service and staff friendly and well trained, and also engaging during your stay, the food also exceeded your expectations throughout your visit. on your next visit we do have rooms in the main building of the hotel which over look the rear to the hotel which would mean you do not have to brave the elements. I will certainly look forward to your next visit and please do introduce yourself when staying at the hotel so I can thank you in person for your kind words. All your comments will be passed down to all the team, as they are a constant motivation to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

I will begin with praising the staff, who were all extremely friendly and chatty and to be honest were some of the best hotel staff I have met. The receptionist even remembered my colleague by name as he had stayed over a few time on business,

The rooms were pleasant, having recently been refurbished. They are certainly not the largest rooms I have stayed in, but for one night, not a big problem as I only had a small overnight bag.

As others have said it is a motel style hotel, which wasn't really a problem to me.

The room I stayed in, the bathroom had a very moldy smell, which explains why the lgiht/extractor fan had been left on. It was quite unpleasant.

I am a deep sleeper, but am nois sensative, if that makes sense. I found the noise from the road annoying as there is a busy dual carriageway. I settled down to sleep at about 10.30pm (I know you party types think this might be a bit early, but I had been up very early!!) All was well till I was woken at 11.30pm by a VERY LOUD tv!!!! I though to myself, okay, they might have just got in and have the TV on until they go to bed, so tolerate this. They did turn it down a bit. I tried to get back to sleep by wrapping the pillow round my ears, but to no avail. By 1.30am, yes 1.30am, the TV was still blarring loudly, I think it was a Rambo film! I though enough tolerance is enough! After a hammering loudly on the all to no avail, I tried to call reception .... no answer, even though it is a 24 hour reception!!! So I got dressed and ran across the car park, as it was raining, to find the reception desk empty, finally found the receptionist in the kitchen!!! When I told him my problem, to be fair, he was very helpful and told me it was a member of staff in that room, and they should know better!!! Shame they did think a little more about it at the time!!! Anyway, he did apologise and made a phone call, and by the time I returned to my room the TV had been turned down so I couldn't hear it.

So.... I settled back into bed, to sleep, it was 1.30am and I have been sleep deprived! To find I could now hear the couple in the room next door having a conversation and giggling for most of the night!!! They weren't being noisy, but the walls of these rooms are very thin!!!!

Some people can just ignore this, but I can't and it really didn't make for a good nights sleep.

The beds were fine, but the pillows were very uncomfortable and I didn't find the pillow menu others have mentioned!

As I have previously mentioned, the bathroom had a very unpleasant odour, but overall it, was clean and functional.

The bar and resturant area are very nice and the breakfast was good, freshly cooked to order, which is unusual, normally breakfast is a buffet style.

Overall, if you just want a bed for the night and can sleep through anything then this is the place for you. If you enjoy a peacful night's sleep then I wouldn't recommend, which is a shame as the hotel is nice and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Dear Hairypony

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving as review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted to see that you found all the staff encountered to be friendly, chatty and some of the best hotel staff you have met. I will pass all your comments down to all the team. I appreciate all your constructive critism in a few other area's and I am investigated these issues, however with the annoymous nature of Trip Advisor this is a little hard to do, say that it would make my day if you could contact me at the hotel direct to discuss your stay, so these problems don't occur for future guests. And also I would like to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future and oversee your stay. I do appreciate everything you have wrote, and value all my customers feedback either positive or constructive ,as this is the only way we can move our business forward and always exceed our guests expectations.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Just returned from a great stay in the Honest Lawyer. The staff were helpful and friendly and the room we stayed in was very clean and quite roomy . The breakfast the following morning was tasty and the quality of the produce was excellent. We stayed in room 21 which was very quite and overlooked the fields at the back of the hotel.
The location of the hotel was good with a taxi journey into Durham City costing only £6. While we were there we visited Crook House and gardens which really is a hidden gem.
Would certainly recommend it if you are wishing to visit Durham on a budget as this hotel is very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Go for the higher numbers