“more motel than hotel”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Rooms clean but tray holding tea making still stained from previous user
Bathroom smelling strongly of drains
Manhole cover under bedroom window broken and upside down exposing water beneath
Staff very friendly
Breakfast ok good service

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

Dear Julia B

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time in leaving a review regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the rooms been cleaned to a high standard, breakfast, and the friendly staff you encountered during your stay, however I'm sorry to hear your tea & coffee tray was not up to the usual standard and the problem you had regarding the man hole cover outside your bedroom window was broken, this area has been identified by my maintenance team, although this area behind the property can not be accessed by our customers, I'm pleased you have brought this to our attention. Without customers like yourself that raise issues that occur during their stay, we would not have the opportunity to move the business in the direction we are looking for and exceed out guests expectations. I do hope when visiting Durham in the not too distant future you give us another opportunity to change you opinion of our hotel.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Positives were the lovely staff who made us feel really welcome - nothing was too much trouble, both in reception and in the restaurant/bar which made travelling with a young child all the more stress free - thank you! Food was really good - breakfasts and dinners. Room was very clean. View over field was nice. Short bus trip to Durham from bus stop directly over the road. Small, unobtrusive playhouse kept my son occupied!

Negatives were the traffic noise from the main road - quite loud when sitting outside on patio but we couldn't hear it from our room. What we did hear in our room was other people in room beside us leaving at 5.45am! Mainly because the cars park directly outside the front of the rooms. Also not the lightest room I've stayed in as window was quite small. Beds were comfortable but will seem small if you're used to a King size! It's a motel layout but it's hotel quality.

Overall for a 3 star hotel I thought it was great value for money and I would stay again. The food was a particularly pleasant surprise!

Room Tip: Rooms with higher numbers (roughly double figures onwards) are further from the road and overlook a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2011

Dear Needaholidaynow

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves, your review is very accurate and adapt regarding our proerty which I would generally like to thank you for, I'm pleased you found the location and hotel ideal for visting Durham. also the food both on dinner & breakfast met your expectations. I totally agree with your constructive comments the large decking & patio are can get a little noise in peak times from the traffic, however we do have a terrace area at the rear of the hotel. And also if like myself you have a king size bed at home the standard double room at 4ft 6 may not quite hit the mark, hopefully on your next vist we do have larger rooms in the main building of the hotel with king size beds and more spacious with the little one. I value all your comments both positive and constructive regarding your visit and am delighted to find that for a 3 star hotel we are great value for money and would certainly stay again. We will look forward to your next visti in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed for two nights whilst in the NE for the Great North Run.
We originally stayed several years ago before floods in the area caused the hotel to close for a while.
The place has been nicely refurbished and the rooms have been improved since we last stayed. Our room was quiet, compact and very comfortable. The food in the restuarant was really good and every member of staff was very welcoming, helpful and friendly. We shall stay there again next year for the GNR 2012!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank WellingtonElvis

Dear WellingtonElvis

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent 2 night stay with ourselves. I'm delighted that you have found the hotel has improved significantly since our refurbishment and your previous stay years ago. I'm delighted you found the food in the restaurant very good and all staff encountered very helpful and friendly. I will pass all your comments down to the team as your kind words a constant reminder to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations. We will look forward to you next visit for Great North Run 2012, keep up the training.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

minute double bed in a clean room. noisy location. traffic noise very intrusive on outside patio. good food in friendly restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear kkcasey43

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I/m pleased you found the food good and staff friendly during your stay, i'm sorry that you found your double bed minute, all our courtyard bedrooms are a standard 4ft 6 beds, however we do have king size beds in the main part of the hotel, and yef on or outside on our patio we have tried to make this area more secluded by rasing the surrounding area so that you are not overlooking the road however the noise is something we cant really do anything about however we do have a terrace at the back of the resturant away from any noise. If visting the area in the not too distant future we would be delighted if you would return.

Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed one night at this hotel to drop my child off to university. Its well situated - only a few minutes from Durham by car. We took the bus to the town centre in the evening - the bus stop is right opposite the hotel - and this saved us finding a carpark and was very easy.
The room was pretty comfortable and compact with tea and coffee making facilites although it was a bit bit dark. Reading in the evening was hard. The bathroom was clean but again very compact. Despite being near a main road, the room was quiet and it had a nice view looking out over fields. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening but breakfast was good and the waitress we had was very helpful and cheerful.

Two downsides were that the terrace outside had not been swept and there were cigarette ends and litter all over it and for some reason they have two female mannequins in the Reception area which I found a bit creepy and I have no idea why they are there! They certainly don't enhance the area.

Overall though a nice hotel in a convenient location and I would stay there again.

Dear SilkiEngland

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves, I'm delighted you found the hotel an ideal location for Durham, and despite been located near the main road nice and quiet on the evening. I'm pleased you enjoyed the breakfast on the following morning and all the staff encountered were very helpful and cheerful. I will pass all your kind words down to all the team. I'm sorry to see that the lack of good housekkeeping on our decking area was severley lacking I will speak to my maintainance team to make sure my high standards are met each and every day. A little note the strange mannequins have since been removed from our reception entrance and went to a good home. Thanks again for all your positive and constructive comments without feedback from yourslef and all our customers we could not strive each day to exceed all our customers expectations. We hope to see you both again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel on the 31st August 2011, the room was very nice and the staff were very pleasant and helpfull. The meal I had in the restaurant was lovely one of the nicest meals I have had in a long time, also the breakfast was very nice. I would recommend this hotel excellent value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear cath2702

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time in leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. It's a pleasure to see that you found your bedroom very nice, the service & staff pleasant and helpful. And also whilst dining in the restaurant you thought the meal you had in the evening was one of nicest you have had in a long time. I will pass all your kind words down to all departments as you comments are a constant motivation to us all the we exceeding our guests expectations. We will look forward to your next visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel (motel) for the Great North Run for 2 nights. The double room with ensuite was small but adequate for a short stay. The hotel is nicely furnished and the staff are very friendly and pleasant. However the line of dust around the edge of the carpet in our room; the cobwebs (with friendly spider attached) in the open closet, the previous guest's hair in the soap dish and on the bathroom floor and the crumbs on the seating and tables in the dining areas let the hotel down in terms of cleaniness. I'm afraid I would not choose to stay here again for the above reasons.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sanchocat

Dear sanchocat

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted you found the bedroom adequate, the hotel nicely refurbished and the staff very friendly during your stay. I can only apoogise that the cleanliness was lacking throughout your stay, we pride ourselves in delivering a clean, quality offering for all guests, which we have severely been lacking on this day, I will pass all your comments down to the team to reiterate how important it is to deliver the highest standards each and every day. I do hope when visting the area in the not too distant future you will give us another oppurtunity to exceed your expectations.