“One night review”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 18 October 2011

3 of us stayed for 1 night in 2 courtyard rooms. Nice rooms, clean, big enough, free wi-fi, very helpful staff and the breakfast was very good - overall this was a very pleasant stay and good value for money. Only downside is that its quite a bit from the centre of Durham - OK for us as we had a car.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank renfrewshire_boy
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

Dear renfrewshire_boy

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I'm delighted you found the rooms nice, clean and our free wi-fi was an added bonus and all very good value for money. It makes my day to read that all of the team you encountered were very friendly and breakfast the following morning was to a very good standard. I will pass all your comments back to the team as your words are a constant reminder to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations. We will look forward in welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed here on the weekend of the great north run and found it a good base for the trip, train from Durham to Gateshead was a bit over crowded (typical railways!!)
We found the hotel as expected, we checked out other reviews on Trip Advisor and found it pretty much true to word. Staff where very friendly and helpful (even after turning up late for breakfast on Monday morning) The rooms although being recently being refurbished are getting tired very quickly due to the poor quality of the refit.
We never ate at the hotel in the evening so we can't comment on the resturant food but the breakfast was great.
One critisisum is that it was raining one night and there was a constant load drip which kept me awake for most of the night

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nutty_CB

Dear Nutty_CB

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I'm delighted you found the hotel an ideal location for the Great North Run, and all the staff you encountered were very friendly. Since opening in April 2010 our bedrooms have had a complete refurbishment, we have endeavoured to maintain these standards throughout this period of time. As a company we will be putting into place schedules for 2012 for our rooms to be further updated so our guests experience can be further enhanced. We appreciate all your positive and constructive comments and hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Stayed for a special occasion with my partner and enjoyed every moment! Met by welcoming and friendly staff, and directed to a room in the main building the room was of a high standard and clean. We ate in the restaurant which we both thoroughly enjoyed, tasty well proportioned meals. The biggest quible we had was that the paper we orderd didnt arrive! Would definately stay again and reccommend to friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte B

Dear Charlotte B

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I delighted you found the room in the main building was to a very high standard and clean. And during your evening you found the food well proportioned and tasty, and during your visit all the staff encountered were friendly. I can only apologise about not receiving your newspaper in the morning, but I will certainly pass all your comments back to all departments as your positive and constructive comments are a source of motivation to us all. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Rooms clean but tray holding tea making still stained from previous user
Bathroom smelling strongly of drains
Manhole cover under bedroom window broken and upside down exposing water beneath
Staff very friendly
Breakfast ok good service

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Julia B

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time in leaving a review regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the rooms been cleaned to a high standard, breakfast, and the friendly staff you encountered during your stay, however I'm sorry to hear your tea & coffee tray was not up to the usual standard and the problem you had regarding the man hole cover outside your bedroom window was broken, this area has been identified by my maintenance team, although this area behind the property can not be accessed by our customers, I'm pleased you have brought this to our attention. Without customers like yourself that raise issues that occur during their stay, we would not have the opportunity to move the business in the direction we are looking for and exceed out guests expectations. I do hope when visiting Durham in the not too distant future you give us another opportunity to change you opinion of our hotel.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Positives were the lovely staff who made us feel really welcome - nothing was too much trouble, both in reception and in the restaurant/bar which made travelling with a young child all the more stress free - thank you! Food was really good - breakfasts and dinners. Room was very clean. View over field was nice. Short bus trip to Durham from bus stop directly over the road. Small, unobtrusive playhouse kept my son occupied!

Negatives were the traffic noise from the main road - quite loud when sitting outside on patio but we couldn't hear it from our room. What we did hear in our room was other people in room beside us leaving at 5.45am! Mainly because the cars park directly outside the front of the rooms. Also not the lightest room I've stayed in as window was quite small. Beds were comfortable but will seem small if you're used to a King size! It's a motel layout but it's hotel quality.

Overall for a 3 star hotel I thought it was great value for money and I would stay again. The food was a particularly pleasant surprise!

Room Tip: Rooms with higher numbers (roughly double figures onwards) are further from the road and overlook a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2011

Dear Needaholidaynow

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves, your review is very accurate and adapt regarding our proerty which I would generally like to thank you for, I'm pleased you found the location and hotel ideal for visting Durham. also the food both on dinner & breakfast met your expectations. I totally agree with your constructive comments the large decking & patio are can get a little noise in peak times from the traffic, however we do have a terrace area at the rear of the hotel. And also if like myself you have a king size bed at home the standard double room at 4ft 6 may not quite hit the mark, hopefully on your next vist we do have larger rooms in the main building of the hotel with king size beds and more spacious with the little one. I value all your comments both positive and constructive regarding your visit and am delighted to find that for a 3 star hotel we are great value for money and would certainly stay again. We will look forward to your next visti in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed for two nights whilst in the NE for the Great North Run.
We originally stayed several years ago before floods in the area caused the hotel to close for a while.
The place has been nicely refurbished and the rooms have been improved since we last stayed. Our room was quiet, compact and very comfortable. The food in the restuarant was really good and every member of staff was very welcoming, helpful and friendly. We shall stay there again next year for the GNR 2012!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank WellingtonElvis

Dear WellingtonElvis

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent 2 night stay with ourselves. I'm delighted that you have found the hotel has improved significantly since our refurbishment and your previous stay years ago. I'm delighted you found the food in the restaurant very good and all staff encountered very helpful and friendly. I will pass all your comments down to the team as your kind words a constant reminder to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations. We will look forward to you next visit for Great North Run 2012, keep up the training.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

minute double bed in a clean room. noisy location. traffic noise very intrusive on outside patio. good food in friendly restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear kkcasey43

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I/m pleased you found the food good and staff friendly during your stay, i'm sorry that you found your double bed minute, all our courtyard bedrooms are a standard 4ft 6 beds, however we do have king size beds in the main part of the hotel, and yef on or outside on our patio we have tried to make this area more secluded by rasing the surrounding area so that you are not overlooking the road however the noise is something we cant really do anything about however we do have a terrace at the back of the resturant away from any noise. If visting the area in the not too distant future we would be delighted if you would return.