“Wonderful Short Break”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Sedgefield, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Short Break”
Reviewed 16 November 2011

What can I say? Where do I start? On arrival we were greeted by a lovely lady named Julie, very polite, friendly, yet very professional. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were made to feel very welcome and comfortable. We were shown to a room in the courtyard which was really lovely, warm, nicely decorated and with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. We had a large flat screen television and a drinks tray with decaffeinated coffee (something I struggle with in other hotels). We had lovely views from the room and a newspaper was delivered to our door every morning.

We had intended to just have an evening meal on the first night but because the food was so fantastic, we dined the second night also. The hotel has been awarded a rosette for food and boy am I not surprised, I felt as if I was eating in a top quality London Restaurant, the taste, quality and presentation was next to none. They have little pots which they serve little extra’s in, such as Lamb Casserole to accompany your Rump of Lamb, along with a Black Pudding Sausage Roll. The desserts were just too tempting for us to pick just one, so they have a dish where you can try all of them (smaller portions obviously). They have a promotion on at the moment where if you buy a dessert, you get to play Deal or No Deal, I picked a box and won a lottery ticket for the coming Saturday night, sadly I didn’t win.

The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much bother, they are very polite and make sure you have everything you need to make your stay lovely.

I would like to thank all the Management and staff for a wonderful two day break, we will definitely be returning in the near future

Room Tip: We stayed in the courtyard which is at the rear of the hotel, some reviews have said these are small...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
sunderland
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My wife and I have traveled the globe and have stayed at some of the finest hotels in the world. We were referred to The Honest Lawyer and had a spectacular experience! The hotel is quite small, offering only 48 rooms, but is luxurious in every way. The rooms are large, very quiet and furnished exquisitely. The staff is beyond compare and as good as, if not better than, any Four Seasons property. Front desk Asst Julie and Lauren were constantly going out of their way for us and treated us like family. Indeed, they made us feel as though we were the only guests in the hotel. And the location? Located in Durham, and literally a short drive away from the Cathedral , You could not ask for a better location, better rooms or a better staff of personnel to assist you. I highly recommend this property.You will not be sorry!

Room Tip: Choose to stay inside the hotel
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Booked a 1 night stay last minute and weren't disappointed. On arrival the parking was ample and were upgraded for free to a 4 poster room. Room was clean, tidy and tastefully decorated. Noise from other rooms or the remainder of the hotel was minimal and the bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast was slightly disappointing with only a small amount of food provided which was not all cooked fully and slightly cold. However the hotel was busy and with minimum staff we put it down to numbers rather than lack of care.

No hesitation in recommending for a visit and very close to the city and the park and ride. Will certainly be considering another booking in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

i arranged a golf trip here for 16 players once again and the feedback from the guys is"when are we heading back"...perfect they commented on the price of the hotel,food,drinks,not to mention the manegers discount we received,all i can say from the guys about brealfast was only 2 turnes up as some were up a little later than other and missed it,however the catering staff nade sure they eat something upon there appereance..thanks to all the gang here and a team perfermance...derek

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
beverley
Reviewed 14 November 2011

we stayed here for 1 night on the 5th nov, lovey place lovely people, the hotel was very quiet however still nice, Durham itself is beautiful we will be returning but for a longer stay

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
Dear burr62

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and with your very kind words. I will pass all your comments to all the team as your comments are a constant motivation to us all. We will look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

It was the best hotle I have ever stayed in in the uk. All the staff make you feel at home. The rooms are all big there are all clean mades come every day if you want them. The entertanment on a Friday night is fantasitc.The food was exalent I thought it was beter then the restarunts around where I live. The weekend I had was the best.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Aidi16

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. It has made my day to read that you thought it's the best hotel you have ever stayed at, and all the team made you feel at home. I am pleased you enjoyed the entertainment on the Friday evening, and all the food was excellent. I will certainly pass all your amazing comments back to all the team as your kind words are a constant motivation to us all that we are creating memorable moments for our guests. We will look forward in welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

wigan
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed here in Oct 2011 for two nights, room was clean and comfortable.
Ate in the hotel restaurant, food excellent. They have a steak night on a Wed
and is very good value for money.

staff friendly and helpful

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Dear aquababe08

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted you found your accommodation clean and comfortable and the food in the restaurant was also excellent. I will pass all your comments down to all departments as your kind words are a constant reminder to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations. We will look forward in welcoming you both back in the not too distant future.