The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Hotels.com
  • Pool
US$151
US$140
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$54
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$92
Bowburn Hall(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$67
Priceline
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Bar/Lounge
Premier Inn Durham East Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$87
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$63
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
1,013 results
All reviewsmotel stylemain buildingfish and chipssunday lunchroad noisecourtyard roomdurham citypark and rideexcellent value for moneybooked this hotelsconesmain coursean evening mealmember of staffnight's sleeptwo night stayfour poster bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights, motel style rooms with car parking by the room, very comfortable, everything you needed was provided, warm, nice bed linen, room was very clean and well decorated, a credit to the housekeeping staff. The actual hotel building was up to date well decorated and clean, comfortable with plenty of seating and tables. Food was very well prepared and , I believe, uses locally sourced ingredients. A good chef and his team provided that little bit extra in presentation which make all the difference. All of the staff from reception, waitresses ,bar,etc are friendly and efficient and make you feel very welcome, obviously the management is doing a good job. Located just a few miles from Durham its perfect for this city, Beamish and the coast, all within easy reach on good roads.
We booked through a rooms web site,BUT, its worth looking on the hotel web site, before you book. The hotel quoted the same room only as the web sites, plus, if you go for the half board package it shows a saving , (the late rooms,etc do not mention this.) So look before you book. for even better value. Drinks and food prices are about right for this quality of hotel, we hope to return in the summer.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AmigoWarwickshire
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Dear AmigoWarwickshire,
Thank you for your kind review, it is greatly appreciated. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found everyone here to be friendly & welcoming. You're right in saying that we do have special offers available, which can be booked on our website. Our current £99 offer includes a four course dinner in the restaurant with no restrictions, and is proving to be very popular! We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Having driven past the Honest Lawyer many times, but never stopping , we decided that the next time we stayed in Durham, the Honest Lawyer would be the place to spend the night .
Overall the experience was GOOD in parts , room etc , and VERY GOOD in terms of food etc . Breakfast excepted.

The rooms are laid out in Motel style , or what I would have envisaged 'Motel Style' to be like . Not being a fan of the U.S. , I can't say I have much experience of such arrangements, and this was therefore my first time of 'parking directly outside my room' , inside rooms {main building} are also available . That said, it was o.k., the rooms we had where functional , clean , tidy, and as I say, fine for the night or maybe even a few !

Food (Dinner) in the main hotel building on the other hand was Very Very Good , Very reasonable, and without fault! Not one, ...... from any of us , not a single one. Breakfast 'buffet' on the other hand was cold , lifeless and a bit hit and miss, work required I would say, and quickly. Question therefore would be, how can one hotel have such diverse food practices , only a few hours apart? One for management to consider .... a developmental opportunity me-thinks that would pay dividends !

So, there you have it , good room , coupled with very good food ( dinner) = good stay at a good price. What more can you ask . Perhaps a good breakfast ?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear hinfamily,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad that you found our accommodation and restaurant standards to be very good, we appreciate the feedback, however I am disappointed that our breakfast on the Sunday morning was not to your liking.

I did actually call into the hotel that day on my day off to do a spot check, and I agree with you that the breakfast served on that day was not up to our usual standard. I did get a chance to speak with some of our guests on the morning, who had similar feedback to yours.

I would like to reassure you that we act on all guest feedback, whether positive or negative, and that I have spoken to the kitchen and food & beverage staff on that morning at the 11am briefing to make sure that our usual high standards are delivered every day.

I do hope that the breakfast on this day will not put you off returning to the Honest Lawyer, so I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future - please contact me directly if there is anything that I can help you with

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 March 2013

i am most happy to write a review on the honest lawyer.although our stay brief from booking owards the staff wrere most helpful and obliging,,nothing wastoo much trouble,the room was ideal and as we had a dog this suit our needs.the food was excellent with varied menu,the breakfast supassed all expectation and was very good value.
altogether a most pleasant , and i must we have stayed in 4&5 star hotels with less quality than the honest lawyer at durham many thanks if in the area again wil undoubtly book in

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear john g,
Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we're a very popular pet friendly hotel in Durham so i'm glad that we could accommodate your four legged friend as well. I'm sure that Harry and the team will appreciate your feedback on the food, and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed overnight here a few weeks ago. The very helpful and friendly manageress provided a free room upgrade as the hotel wasn't busy which was a lovely touch.
Our room was beautiful- a four poster bed & extremely tastefully decorated.
We had a couple of bar meals which were great- the food was really nice.
All of the staff were extremely helpful & friendly. We need to come up to Durham several times over the next few months- what a fantastic excuse to visit the Honest Lawyer again!! Really looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank LymmClaire

Dear LymmClaire,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm overjoyed that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you're looking forward to returning to the hotel. I'm pleased that you were given a free upgrade which you appreciated, and found the bar meals to your liking. I hope that we see you again very soon

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have been staying here on and off over twelve years now, usually to be near the sports venue at Maiden Castle, and more recently to visit family at the university. The location is excellent as it is only a few minutes drive from the city centre and on a direct bus route as well as being close to one of the park and ride sites. The hotel has an American motel feel with most rooms situated in a one storey horseshoe around the main restaurant/reception building with ample free parking virtually outside your room. When we stayed the hotel was refurbishing after a recent flood and workmen were actively improving the facade during the day. Our initial rooms, booked on a deal via booking.com were the basic outside rooms but were both immaculately clean and freshly painted with high quality sheets ,beds and towels. Large flat screen tv in both rooms. The rooms were hot though bathroom was a bit chilly. On our second day there was an issue with a light fitting caused by work done during the day; on reporting to reception this was dealt with immediately and a new room offered if needed. Later on the radiator had sprung a leak following refurbishment and caused a wet patch in the carpet. Reception immediately moved us to an upgraded room in the main building. Having sampled both rooms I would advise against the more expensive rooms in the main building as although they have advantageous extras they are closer to the main road and suffer from noise from 5am and it becomes oppressive from 7am. The standard rooms are not as close to the road and are actually well equipped and much better value.
We only had breakfast on one day and that was freshly prepared and good value. Only gripe about the bar was the mixers are from a multi-dispenser and are poor quality and spoil anything they are mixed with. I'd recommend bottles or draught.
In all can't really complain and am more than happy to go there again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for the four poster rooms in the main building, as they are too close to the road land noise from 5am is an issue even through the double glazing. The standard rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank trythealea

Dear trythealea, thank you for your review following your recent stay. I'm glad that you found our hotel to be value for money, and that you'd be happy to return to the hotel. I'm pleased that the Reception team upgraded you after your maintenance issue, and that the Four Poster room was to your liking. I do take on board your feedback about the road noise - we find that it's depends on how sound a sleeper you are and Rooms 55 & 56, which are located at the front of the hotel, are very popular with our regulars. I will speak to our Food & Beverage manager and pass the feedback on about the quality of the mixers and see if there is anything we can do. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.