“A lovely Sunday dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Durham, United Kingdom
“A lovely Sunday dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

We were taken to the Honest Lawyer our for Sunday lunch by a good friend and we couldn't believe that we'd never been there before. Nice big portions of food that were loving prepared and very tasty. My only concern was the kids menu wasn't really kids food, but as my two both wanted fish the chef was happy to split and adult portion between them. Very accomodating.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear durham05,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your Sunday dinner - it's very popular and we recently served more than 300 people on Mother's Day. I'm glad that everything was to your liking, and we were more than happy to accommodate your children's requests. We hope to see you again soon

Unsal Aydin, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

This is a good honest hotel/motel. Situated adjacent to a busy main road with ample parking. Road noise could be a problem, so if this is likely to be an issue for you, discuss this with the Manager. The motel type rooms look uninviting from the exterior, but inside are light and bright with modern uptodate furnishings. We were kindly offered an upgrade to one of the superior rooms on the side of the hotel. Quite a large room, with an easy chair and table, decent size flat screen TV and a table with a mirror in front, making hair drying so much easier. The bed was very comfortable indeed. Adequate bathroom though the shower was a bit of a challenge. Attractive modern furnishings and plentiful supply of tea and coffee

Breakfast good.

The staff were all exceedingly pleasant and helpful, especially the lady manager, for whom nothing was too much trouble.

We ate in a section of the restaurant one evening and the food was good, well presented and the service efficient and pleasant.

We were here essentially to visit family, so we would almost certainly stay here again, if the occasion presented itself.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear moses_karibu,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you rightly mention we are next to a main road, offering easy access to Durham City as well as popular attractions and business parks in and around the area. If we have light sleepers staying with us they're more than welcome to request one of our rooms tucked behind the main building away from the main road, or alternatively we do have a number of Four Poster rooms away from the main road which are nice & quiet. Overall i'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights, motel style rooms with car parking by the room, very comfortable, everything you needed was provided, warm, nice bed linen, room was very clean and well decorated, a credit to the housekeeping staff. The actual hotel building was up to date well decorated and clean, comfortable with plenty of seating and tables. Food was very well prepared and , I believe, uses locally sourced ingredients. A good chef and his team provided that little bit extra in presentation which make all the difference. All of the staff from reception, waitresses ,bar,etc are friendly and efficient and make you feel very welcome, obviously the management is doing a good job. Located just a few miles from Durham its perfect for this city, Beamish and the coast, all within easy reach on good roads.
We booked through a rooms web site,BUT, its worth looking on the hotel web site, before you book. The hotel quoted the same room only as the web sites, plus, if you go for the half board package it shows a saving , (the late rooms,etc do not mention this.) So look before you book. for even better value. Drinks and food prices are about right for this quality of hotel, we hope to return in the summer.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AmigoWarwickshire
Dear AmigoWarwickshire,
Thank you for your kind review, it is greatly appreciated. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found everyone here to be friendly & welcoming. You're right in saying that we do have special offers available, which can be booked on our website. Our current £99 offer includes a four course dinner in the restaurant with no restrictions, and is proving to be very popular! We look forward to seeing you again soon

north west england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Having driven past the Honest Lawyer many times, but never stopping , we decided that the next time we stayed in Durham, the Honest Lawyer would be the place to spend the night .
Overall the experience was GOOD in parts , room etc , and VERY GOOD in terms of food etc . Breakfast excepted.

The rooms are laid out in Motel style , or what I would have envisaged 'Motel Style' to be like . Not being a fan of the U.S. , I can't say I have much experience of such arrangements, and this was therefore my first time of 'parking directly outside my room' , inside rooms {main building} are also available . That said, it was o.k., the rooms we had where functional , clean , tidy, and as I say, fine for the night or maybe even a few !

Food (Dinner) in the main hotel building on the other hand was Very Very Good , Very reasonable, and without fault! Not one, ...... from any of us , not a single one. Breakfast 'buffet' on the other hand was cold , lifeless and a bit hit and miss, work required I would say, and quickly. Question therefore would be, how can one hotel have such diverse food practices , only a few hours apart? One for management to consider .... a developmental opportunity me-thinks that would pay dividends !

So, there you have it , good room , coupled with very good food ( dinner) = good stay at a good price. What more can you ask . Perhaps a good breakfast ?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear hinfamily,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad that you found our accommodation and restaurant standards to be very good, we appreciate the feedback, however I am disappointed that our breakfast on the Sunday morning was not to your liking.

I did actually call into the hotel that day on my day off to do a spot check, and I agree with you that the breakfast served on that day was not up to our usual standard. I did get a chance to speak with some of our guests on the morning, who had similar feedback to yours.

I would like to reassure you that we act on all guest feedback, whether positive or negative, and that I have spoken to the kitchen and food & beverage staff on that morning at the 11am briefing to make sure that our usual high standards are delivered every day.

I do hope that the breakfast on this day will not put you off returning to the Honest Lawyer, so I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future - please contact me directly if there is anything that I can help you with

Kind regards
camberley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

i am most happy to write a review on the honest lawyer.although our stay brief from booking owards the staff wrere most helpful and obliging,,nothing wastoo much trouble,the room was ideal and as we had a dog this suit our needs.the food was excellent with varied menu,the breakfast supassed all expectation and was very good value.
altogether a most pleasant , and i must we have stayed in 4&5 star hotels with less quality than the honest lawyer at durham many thanks if in the area again wil undoubtly book in

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear john g,
Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we're a very popular pet friendly hotel in Durham so i'm glad that we could accommodate your four legged friend as well. I'm sure that Harry and the team will appreciate your feedback on the food, and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Lymm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed overnight here a few weeks ago. The very helpful and friendly manageress provided a free room upgrade as the hotel wasn't busy which was a lovely touch.
Our room was beautiful- a four poster bed & extremely tastefully decorated.
We had a couple of bar meals which were great- the food was really nice.
All of the staff were extremely helpful & friendly. We need to come up to Durham several times over the next few months- what a fantastic excuse to visit the Honest Lawyer again!! Really looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank LymmClaire
Dear LymmClaire,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm overjoyed that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you're looking forward to returning to the hotel. I'm pleased that you were given a free upgrade which you appreciated, and found the bar meals to your liking. I hope that we see you again very soon

Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have been staying here on and off over twelve years now, usually to be near the sports venue at Maiden Castle, and more recently to visit family at the university. The location is excellent as it is only a few minutes drive from the city centre and on a direct bus route as well as being close to one of the park and ride sites. The hotel has an American motel feel with most rooms situated in a one storey horseshoe around the main restaurant/reception building with ample free parking virtually outside your room. When we stayed the hotel was refurbishing after a recent flood and workmen were actively improving the facade during the day. Our initial rooms, booked on a deal via booking.com were the basic outside rooms but were both immaculately clean and freshly painted with high quality sheets ,beds and towels. Large flat screen tv in both rooms. The rooms were hot though bathroom was a bit chilly. On our second day there was an issue with a light fitting caused by work done during the day; on reporting to reception this was dealt with immediately and a new room offered if needed. Later on the radiator had sprung a leak following refurbishment and caused a wet patch in the carpet. Reception immediately moved us to an upgraded room in the main building. Having sampled both rooms I would advise against the more expensive rooms in the main building as although they have advantageous extras they are closer to the main road and suffer from noise from 5am and it becomes oppressive from 7am. The standard rooms are not as close to the road and are actually well equipped and much better value.
We only had breakfast on one day and that was freshly prepared and good value. Only gripe about the bar was the mixers are from a multi-dispenser and are poor quality and spoil anything they are mixed with. I'd recommend bottles or draught.
In all can't really complain and am more than happy to go there again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for the four poster rooms in the main building, as they are too close to the road...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank trythealea
Dear trythealea, thank you for your review following your recent stay. I'm glad that you found our hotel to be value for money, and that you'd be happy to return to the hotel. I'm pleased that the Reception team upgraded you after your maintenance issue, and that the Four Poster room was to your liking. I do take on board your feedback about the road noise - we find that it's depends on how sound a sleeper you are and Rooms 55 & 56, which are located at the front of the hotel, are very popular with our regulars. I will speak to our Food & Beverage manager and pass the feedback on about the quality of the mixers and see if there is anything we can do. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.