“Lovely”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

After a few problems the last time we stayed here we were immediately contacted by the hotel management to apologise and to offer to put things right during our next stay. Impressed! my husband and I took up the offer to stay in the hotel again last Saturday and we were given the en suite room (room 53). It was fabulous - spacious, comfy big bed with a lovely big bathroom and wonderful power shower and jacuzzi bath. We made the mistake of not booking a table in the restaurant until we checked in, all of the tables were booked so we opted to eat in the bar.The staff were very busy but remained really friendly and helpful, we met friends who have never been here before but were extremely impressed with the quality of the food. It was freshly cooked and tasty (what a great chef you have) We have already decided to come back and take advantage of the £99 offer. After a great nights sleep we had a full English breakfast before checking out and taking a long walk along the river bank in the Sunday morning sun. Thank you to Julie for great customer service and the staff who made our stay here so lovely. This will be our place to stay whenever we visit the lovely Durham.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank splashy95

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
London
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed overnight on a journey to Scotland so that we could enjoy the sights of Durham which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is a short drive in to the city and the staff at the hotel recommended a convenient place to park.
The hotel offers spacious rooms around a courtyard, immaculately presented, and the staff were wonderful in every way.
We also ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel, both of which were excellent.

So full marks.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dlr7367
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My wife and I took advantage of the £99 offer, which included a stay in one of the challets and a 4 course meal. The rooms were very small but nicely decorated and very clean and modern, especially the bathroom. I quite liked the fact that we could park our car right outside our room. The bar and restaurant areas are very nice and most staff were friendly and polite. There was a small problem with our meal, which was created by a confusion between myself and the waitress, but one that a member of staff could have avoided and I was given the wrong meal, but when the right one came it was very nice. Overall a very pleasant stay and very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dunblane, Scotland
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Checked Laterooms for a rate and got £44.55 for one night in a courtyard room, no breakfast. Checked the hotels own website and got exactly the same rate, plus other options. Opted for a two night stay with 4 course dinner (one of which is coffee), on first night plus two full breakfasts, for £149.00 for the two of us.. On arrival we were advised that we had been upgraded to a four poster bedded room in the main hotel. Needless to say we were delighted. Went down for dinner and bought a bottle of wine and a drink for my husband and sat to peruse the Menu. On heading for the restaurant I slipped and fell, throwing my glass of red wine all over me! Having been mopped up and details taken in the Accident Book we finally made it to dinner, which was absolutely delicious. For starters we had King Prawns in Tomato and Chorizo Sauce with Tomato Bread and Thai Fish Cakes with Salsa and Sauce. We both opted for steaks as a main, followed by Sticky Toffee Pudding and Cheese Board. It transpired that the wine and drink had been removed from our Bill as a goodwill gesture due to my fall. We retired for the night and immediately fell asleep. However, we both woke at 2am perspiring dreadfully. It turned out that the radiator control had broken and we couldn't turn the heating off. To open the windows meant having the traffic noise, as we were facing the main road. After a sleepless night we reported the problem to Reception. As they couldn't guarantee getting it repaired that day, we were offered a move to a Suite (No.53). The Head Housekeeper on seeing the state of my wine stained underwear, offered to put it through the hotel washing machine. When we returned in the afternoon all our luggage had been transferred to our new room. This was very spacious and comfortable with a ceiling activated heating system, controlled by a TV style remote. It was also rear facing so somewhat quieter, although the kitchen extraction system was outside the room windows and came on and off all night. Another niggle was that the piped music speaker for the restaurant, is immediately under the room, so you hear it constantly. I love Michael Buble and Adele but not over and over again. As we had enjoyed our dinner so much the previous night, we decided to eat in the hotel again, rather than go back into Durham. We had a good night's sleep and great breakfast the following morning. On checking out we discovered some items had been added to our bill by mistake. This was immediately rectified. The Manager, whom we had observed around the hotel during our stay, came from his office and insisted on helping to carry our luggage out to the car.
In view of our experience it may have been that a bad crit would have been forthcoming, but we can't praise the hotel staff enough for their service, concern, the quality of the food and immediate response to our problems. The decor is extremely classy whilst still being comfortable. Obviously we can't comment on the courtyard rooms but have made some suggestions below.
If you feel like a walk, leave the hotel and turn right. Cross the Browney River and enter the gate on the right. A signboard will identify several walks along the river.

Room Tip: A rear facing room, either in the main hotel or courtyard rooms will offer a quieter nights sleep, a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lochs
HonestLawyerHotel, Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Dear Lochs
Firstly let me apologise for the problems that you encountered during your stay, since you checked out we have taken a number of steps to rectify these, including the maintenance of the room and changing the music. However I am pleased that you found all of the hotel staff to be welcoming and friendly, the team we have here are a big asset to the hotel and we get constant praise on our friendliness and customer service, which I think makes an overnight stay here something a bit more special. I hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future, if there is anything I can help you with please feel free to contact me directly

Unsal Aydin
Renfrew, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and we were totally delighted we opted for this place! The room rates were much less than anywhere else I could find, I thought it was cheaper maybe because it wasn't as good as the other places but it totally exceeded my expectations! Only thing I can honestly say badly about it is that the shower in our room was far to hot to get washed under! The place was fresh and clean and the bed was really comfortable! We had dinner at the restaurant, the menu was quite glamorous, a felt like it was trying to hard to be fancy, a simple fish n chips dish was described as 'black sheep beer battered North Sea haddock with minted mushy peas' ?????

Overall the place was fantastic and we both really enjoyed our meals and stay!

Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Steven8725
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Dear Steven8725,
I'm pleased that you find us to be the best place in town and that everything is to your liking. With the Fish & Chips, we've found that our customers prefer to know where their ingredients are from (the North Sea, freshly caught and delivered to us daily), and our Black Sheep batter is very popular) so that's why we choose to talk about this on the menu.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I have been to eat at The Honest Lawyer a few times and have never been disappointed. The bar area is actually quite big so you can be sat in a section and not be bothered by anyone and chat away to your hearts content. There is also a TV at the bar. The restaurant is quite spacious also. The staff are always extremely friendly and would go out of their way to help you, I would say the standard exceeds usual pub service. The food is lovely, there is classic pub food that always stays on the menu (the burger is gorgeous) it is a little expensive considering it is out of town but its worth it. The desserts are also very nice!! The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is quite often on the chilly side inside.
I haven't stayed in the rooms but its location to the city centre makes it ideal for anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank catdurham1
Dear catdurham1,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm delighted that you enjoy our food, especially the Steak Burger which is very popular. Are you aware of our Burger Night on Tuesdays, which is a Steak Burger and Fries, with a Glass of Wine, Pint or Soft Drink for only £11.95? I will pass your comments onto the Restaurant Manager about being a little chilly to make sure the heating is turned up a little during the colder times.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Co.Durham
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

I've never stayed here as I live locally but have eaten here many times and it's absolutely fabulous. We often go on a lunchtime where the menu isn't huge but at least you know it's not microwave food, it's freshly prepared by the hotels chef. The prices are a few pounds more than you may pay for standard lunchtime food but don't let that put you off as you get what you pay for. My family recently had a private function here and the staff were wonderful and the buffet second to none. All the guests were praising the food. After dining here one evening we found it to be very expensive, it is a hotel after all but think the daytime good is of just as good quality but more reasonably priced.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank ScottieDoglover
Dear ScottieDoglover,
Thank you for your review of our restaurant, i'm delighted that you enjoy coming here for lunch and that everything is always to your liking, and that your family enjoyed the quality of our food for their private function. All of our food is locally sourced and freshly prepared using the finest of local ingredients, but overall our latest menu which we introduced at the beginning of the month has a good number of dishes that we have reduced in price recently, and we have a number of midweek specials available for diners, which i'm sure that you will see when you return to the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future