Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bowburn Hall(Durham)
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
1,013 results
All reviewsmotel stylemain buildingfish and chipssunday lunchroad noisecourtyard roomdurham citypark and rideexcellent value for moneybooked this hotelsconesmain coursean evening mealmember of staffnight's sleeptwo night stayfour poster bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Wife and I stayed for 3 nights over a weekend. Check in very smooth after booking via a third party website. We had a courtyard room, window at the back and internal bathroom. Slight smell of damp in bathroom when we first arrived but seemed to dissipate quickly. Fixed shower over bath was okay, however there was some difficulty adjusting the temperature. Standard double bed, mattress and pillows were comfortable. No noise from neighbors. Room cleaned, coffee replaced etc daily. Location very handy with or without a car. Short regular bus ride into the centre of Durham. Overall very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Dear Streetmonster
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found us to be good value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We needed a room that would cater for myself my wife and our 23 year old daughter as we were attending our son's graduation. The hotel kindly let us have the largest double room and we brought a air bed which fitted on the floor with plenty of room. there was noise from the bar in the room but mainly from the music. The room was clean and tidy and suitable for what we required. The breakfasts were a bit of a lottery and the staff service was not great at breakfast. the fruit was of the tinned variety and there was not a lot of variety on other breakfast items.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are definitely like motel style rooms but they looked clean and tidy from what we could see.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Stephen H
Thank you for your review of the hotel. Overall I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we were able to accommodate your family. Following the feedback for the room that you stayed in we are taking steps to insulate the speaker underneath the room so that the music can't be heard - this will make a big difference. I must apologise about your breakfast experience, we are taking steps to improve this and i'm sure if you return to the hotel in the near future you will see a big improvement. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

For a one night stay this was OK. Easy parking, easy to find, bar and food up to scratch and room - which was out in the courtyard "motel" area - was comfortable and a decent size. Staff were all friendly and I really quite liked this place and would have liked to have said "above average" but for a couple of obvious things that a half decent hotel ought to get right. The bathroom was clean and spacious but there was an unpleasant smell which I guess was the drains or the extractor - it did not permeate into the main room fortunately. The cushions on the easy chairs were very badly marked and stained - you would not have wanted to sit on them - and we didn't ! There was no wi-fi available .. I had read in earlier reviews that this was being fixed - but it hasn't been and I guess "it is being fixed" could be a long standing situation. I think for one or two nights it is fine .. any longer and you would be asking for things to be put right.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dinglecat

Dear dinglecat,
Thank you for your review of the hotel.Overall I am pleased that you experience was positive, but I am disappointed that you had issues during your stay. I have spoken to housekeeping and maintenance to ensure that our high standards of cleanliness are maintained, and there should be no smell from the drains in the bathrooms. I am happy to say that the wifi has been fixed and that as of 13/7/13 all rooms now have free high speed wireless internet. I would like to personally assure you that we take not of all guest feedback and it is only with this feedback that we can improve our offering. I hope that we will see you at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have just returned from a 2 night stay in this lovely hotel. Had initially booked two 4 Poster Rooms for 1 night then decided to add an extra night at short notice. As there was only one 4 poster room available for our extra night I changed my room to the hotel's one and only suite which in fact turned out to double up as the Bridal Suite when required.

The hotel itself is lovely and only a 5-10 min drive from Durham city centre with a Park & Ride a few mins drive away if you'd rather leave the car behind and go by bus.

First impressions as we arrived were mixed as the Courtyard rooms made the Hotel look a little more like an American "Motel" than a traditional British Hotel. That said the reception area, dining and bar areas were lovely and welcoming. The staff at reception were very helpful.

The lack of a lift may be an issue for some but we managed fine. All the rooms inside the hotel were on the 1st floor so there are not too many stairs to encounter. My parents had a 4 poster room which was a reasonable size with all the facilities we could expect.

Our room was massive with a Super- kingsize bed (covered in pillows and cushions), walk in wardrobe (with complimentary dressing gowns), large bathroom with separate shower cubicle, jacuzzi bath and bidet. A door in the bedroom led out to a decked area which led on to the fire escape, however this area is still private. Couldn't have asked for a bigger or better room.

However, the Wi-Fi in the room was practically non existent. When I casually mentioned this to staff on checking out they quickly deducted the cost of our breakfast each morning which was much appreciated and we had not asked them to do this. My husband biggest complaint was the music which we could clearly hear from just after 8am each day until the bar closed at 11pm. Our room was directly above the bar so the sound travelled directly up to our room and was loud enough you could easily sing along to the songs they were playing while lying in bed at night. To be honest it didn't bother me as much as it did him but I have to agree as this is the hotels "best and most expensive room" you should not have to listen to music from downstairs for 15 hrs a day. Again we mentioned this and were told that it would be looked into.

The tiles in the shower could do with being re-grouted and the cold tap in the bath was loose as was a plastic cover in the shower but these were just silly wee things that I feel should be sorted if standards are to remain high in the hotel's "suite".

Breakfast is charged at £8.95 p/p and was excellent value for money. There was a continental and hot choice with everything you could possibly have wanted from ceral and juice, croissants and pastries, to the traditional full english we all love to start the day. Dinner is available at night with an excellent choice of foods.

I would definitely return here if I was staying in Durham in the future but, as much as I loved the size and luxury of the "suite, I would have to opt for a 4 poster room so I didn't have to listen to the constant music from the bar."

Room Tip: Avoid the Suite (because of the noise) and pay the extra for a 4 poster room so you are located inside the hotel's main building and not in the court yard rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank slg40
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Dear slg40,
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Regarding the issues that you experienced in your room, we are taking steps to add insulation above the speaker to make sure that guests are not disturbed by the restaurant music, and i'm pleased to report that as of 13/7/13 we have installed new broadband/wifi and all of our rooms now have free high speed internet access. I hope that we see you at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed two nights including 4 course dinner on the first night and 2 breakfasts.
We were in a disabled room so it was large and had a large ensuite. Twin beds were very comfortable. Tea making facilities, toiletries, large tv, hair dryer, parking.
Didn't realise it was so far from Durham. Nothing around the hotel. Wifi not working except in the bar. Room quite cold. Radiator not on.
Evening meal wonderful - the best of the trip so far. Breakfast buffet with cooked options.
We got a good deal but I'd rather stay in Durham.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rgjde
Thank you for your fair review of the hotel. Overall i'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our 2 night deal to be value for money. We will certainly take onboard your feedback and see what we can do to improve our guest experience. If you were to stay with us again, I would suggest exploring a number of river walks which are very popular, as well as Sunderland Bridge village which is very nice to have a look around. Regarding the wifi, I can confirm that as of 13/7/13 we have free high speed wifi in all of our rooms, which I am very pleased to tell you about.