“Staff extremely helpful”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Staff extremely helpful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed here on the night of my birthday. Had dog and toddler who were both accommodated for in the restaraunt. Managerial staff were very kind and generous in helping my husband arrange a surprise cake to be in our room when we arrived.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Alison L,
Thank you for your review, i'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and that we able to arrange your special request. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Unsal Aydin, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice during July- firstly for two days on my way to the Scottish highlands, and then for a nights stopover on the way back home to the South West.
I chose this hotel because I wanted to stay somewhere close to my son who is studying in Durham, but wanted to keep an eye on price because on both occasions the stop overs were en route to or return from our holiday.
This hotel was much cheaper than some others in the centre of Durham, and is only a 10 minute drive away from the centre.
The Honest Lawyer is really good value for money- the rooms I stayed in were both the motel style with parking available immediately outside- which suited.
Rooms were both a good size, clean and tidy with comfortable beds and a beautiful tranquil view to the rear overlooking fields.
TV was easy to turn on, everything worked- everything I needed for my stopover!
Breakfast was good and on our return my son and I ate in the restaurant- it was Sunday so I had the roast beef and my son had a Veggie burger- both meals were spot on- my son commented that the Veggie burger was the best he had had in a long time!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear pogleswood186338,
Thank you for your kind review of The Honest Lawyer, i'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your liking. I'm especially pleased that you found your meals to be 'spot on'. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We were visiting the exhibition of the Lindisfarne Gospels at the Palace Green Library in Durham, and wanted a one night stopover to break up our journey from Lancashire.
Our party of 3, had a twin and a double room booked, and although we were a little early for checking in, the reception staff were very helpful and let us occupy our rooms.
A pleasant afternoon and evening in Durham followed, after which we headed back to The Honest Lawyer for an evening meal - a little pricey but good quality, and served by friendly and efficient staff. Drinks on the terrace in the balmy night air followed, and refreshed in mind and body we headed to our rooms. Many rooms, ours included, are motel types around a courtyard with parking immediately outside the door.
Our room was interconnecting to the next door room.
At this point, our grandson reported that his 42" TV was missing and we duly reported this to reception, but due to the lateness of the hour, despite several attempts to chase up the missing TV all were to no avail.
Next morning on our way to breakfast, I again asked at reception about the TV and was informed that a fault had been reported and the TV had been taken away with a view to returning it when repaired. (The repair took longer than expected).
We were compensated by the very apologetic and friendly receptionist and were more than satisfied.
Overall, I would gladly return to The Honest Lawyer which provided us with good clean and comfortable accommodation within a couple of miles of Durham, at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Juehel
Dear Juehel,
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. I'm pleased that you enjoyed both your visit to the Lindisfarne Gospels and your stay with us. I must apologise for the mix up with the TV, but i'm pleased that the issue was dealt with promptly by the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Went there for my birthday, wot a shame, wish we hadn't . Meal very average had better elsewhere, more upset with the staff and attention to detail, only three other tables in when we arrived, one member of staff she didn't see that two tables sat with their coats on we had to ask for the air con to be switched off so we could take ours off as quite chilly, but it really didn't help any, we had an ok meal but sat with our finished plates for wot seemed like ages looking round the room the other tables were sat like us is too with finished plates but no staff around to notice, in fact our waitress was at the bar catching up with the latest gossip we would have liked pudding, coffee and more drinks but didn't want to give them more money really for such a poor service, happy birthday me won't be back soon, shame

• Stayed July 2013
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Our room (5) was outside in the courtyard with parking right at the door - no carrying heavy bags up stairs or in lifts. The room was quite average but one down-side was that there was quite a bit of traffic noise and my husband had trouble sleeping. We booked a dinner, bed & breakfast deal and had a fantastic 4 course dinner in the restaurant on our first night. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. We asked if we could borrow an iron and within minutes, an iron and ironing board were brought to our room. There is a spa if you fancy a beauty treatment though this isn't open on Sundays. There is also a lovely little boutique with gorgeous jewellery etc for sale. Bus stops are situated right outside the hotel so travelling into Durham without the car is easily done with buses running every 15 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Kazaspooch
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. Overall i'm pleased that you found us to be good value for money and you enjoyed the quality of our food. With regards to the road noise, as we are located on the main A167 into Durham the road is very busy, but we are able to allocate quieter rooms if requested at the time of booking. Once again thank you for your review, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed two one nights at the beginning of July 13, for a good value rate, We arrived about 5.00pm found room was bit on the small side, the bathroom floor was still wet so we had to dry that before we would use it. Also despite the web site describing WI Fi was available throughout, it was only available in certain rooms. We queried this with the receptionist and was told it was still to be installed in the rest of the rooms. We were offered another room with Wifi but by then we had unpacked so decided to stay put. Generally good value for the price.

Room Tip: Find out which rooms have Hi FI, Also no A/C.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Axima
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm pleased that you found our hotel to be good value for money, and that overall everything was to your liking. I will certainly check with housekeeping about the wet floor, but i'm pleased to tell you that we have completed our wifi upgrade so everything should be working fine now.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Oldham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We arrived a planned yesterday at 420 after 6 hours on the road, when we thrived was told there was no twin rooms free (booked a twin at beginning of June) so ended up with a double. Got to our hotel turned on the tv and hat was not rocking, rang reception, the duty manager came and told us it was broken so moved us into the next room. This morning I came to open my napkin at breakfast and out came a spider, my daughter was having a wash and found a dady long legs in the bath and cobwebs on her cleaning stuff(spider there too)
Otherwise everything well