“honestly”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
dunston
“honestly”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We first stayed here one Saturday in January for our anniversary, for bed breakfast evening meal as we had read good reviews. We had room 28 which was a courtyard room although quite small was adequate for one night stay . The evening meal was extremely disappointing to say the least My husbands starter of duck wraps were served cold.My main course of roast sirloin of beef consisted of two slices of what looked like supermarket bought beef which was so tough even the couple at the next table commented on my inability to cut it.My husbands and my food was again served cold so we could nt eat it.We left the restaurant very hungry and disappointed The next morning the shower wasnt working breakfast was served school dinner style standing in line with someone doling out the food like a dinner lady this was again cold.After voicing our complaints we received a phone call from the manager with apologies and offering us sunday lunch on the house.And as i believe everyone is allowed a second chance we took his offer up. We decided to stay on a room only basis as it was too far to drive home We arrived early and were promptly given the key to room 29 but when we let ourselves in it still had the previous guests suitcases and belongings in they were moved out and we were told they had upgraded to another room We were given three different reasons for this upgrade. When I tried to have a bath there was no hot water we reported it straight away but nothing was done about it We went for our meal.with out a bath or shower i may add. We ordered prawn cocktail which consisted of an ice cream sundae glass filled to the top with lettuce and the smallest amount of prawn cocktail on the top Our main course I had the pork husband had the beef. guess what it was stone cold the food looked like it had been standing all day. The creamy vegetable I dont know what it was had a skin on it. We gave it up as a bad job and asked for a taxi into Durham where we went for something to eat.As the saying goes there is no such thing as a free lunch well this certainly was nt. By the time we paid for a room taxis and food we spent a fortune.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kathersdunston
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear kathersdunston,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with a lot of the things that you have written on your review. I have spoken to you personally and a lot of things that you have written you haven't mentioned to me during our conversation. I'm not sure that this review is an honest review. You yourself told me during our conversation that you were not happy at another hotel, and therefore you decided to come here. I find your comments to be quite unfair to our honest local food producers. I have to point out that the duck wraps are served warm, not hot, and the beef that we buy is from a local supplier less than 8 miles from the hotel. The second time you came here you were complaining that the heating and hot water was a problem, I myself checked all of the heating and plumbing and there wasn't a problem. On top of that I came in the next day very early to make sure that everything was running as normal for you, and there were no issues. I do believe that whatever myself and my staff did, it wasn't going to be to your liking unfortunately, it doesn't matter whatever I offered free and you received already, including a free lunch, free bottle of wine, free drinks, it didn't give any satisfaction to your stay, and you sill asked for a free room. I can see that your other reviews for other places are less than complimentary. Overall, I do think that your review is very unfair, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Kind Regards

Unsal Aydin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Called in for Sunday lunch and had the two course deal . Prawn cocktail was a touch light on prawns but the main courses made up for it . Lyn had beef which she said was beautiful and I had the best burger ive had in a long time which came with hand cut fat chips .Delightful and a friendky goodbye as we left as well

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevstewart
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here for one night for a birthday party and will not be staying over again. The room was ok but the bed was far too small for two people and not comfortable at all. The only thing that was ok about the stay was the breakfast

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Micky9nufc
Kent
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I spent a great night in this hotel. I must confess I liked this style of hotel in preference to the giant sterile blocks (however smartly decorated) I often stay in on business.

The bedrooms are chalets surrounding a central complex with car parking at your door. Smokers will love this hotel as you can just step outside your front door onto an outside open covered walkway.

Rooms a nicely decorated with an ensuite bathroom. My room had a large flat screen television and coffee making facilities.

The restaurant and bar serves reasonably priced food and drink offering both wetherspoon type food and free drink specials to more ala-carte cooking so everyones taste can be satisfied.

Would I return again - definately

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KentEnglander
Doncaster
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed for one night just before Christmas as a little treat and although I appreciate the room offers fairly reasonable value for money, it is a little disappointing. We stayed in the motel courtyard. The room itself was ok, of a reasonable size with a view over the fields, nice fittings and a comfy bed. The temperature registered at 28 degrees on my husbands iPhone and although I appreciate this isn't the most accurate reading, it was stifling hot throughout the evening and dropped bitterly cold by morning. The floor looked like it hadn't been hoovered and their were black marks on the walls. We didn't really notice any road noise but the constant humming and tapping of whatever it was did get quite annoying and I felt a little sorry for any neighbours we had as we turned the TV up to drown it out. The bathroom was grubby, border lining grotty, with mould and mildew around the shower and the noise of the extractor fan was very loud. The sink had dirty marks around the rim and we found bright red hairs in the plug hole and attached to the wall.

The food was fantastic! Piping hot, huge portions, delicious and cheap. The restaurant was fairly busy but we were seated quickly and really made to feel at home by the staff. The restaurant staff and reception were excellent, very helpful and set but bar staff really need to up their game - perhaps the fact the other members were so helpful it made them look worse. Cold, uninterested and a penchant for 'looking busy' without actually doing anything constructive, ie) serving customers. Excellent location for visiting Durham, took us less than 10minutes to get to the city centre. Would I stay here again? Maybe, if the mentioned issues were addressed, would definitely eat here again for sure!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

We were kindly upgraded to a room in the main house for our three night stay. The room to the rear of the property was reasonably spacious with a large comfortable bed. It was however very cold, no heating on at all when we arrived (early January), however they did give us a fan heater. Eventually the heating came on, but the red aviator never got above luke warm. Another issue was the hot water in both the wash basin and shower. It took 20 minutes to get hot water through on our first morning, thereafter we turned the shower on and went back to bed for 15 minutes whilst the hot water ran through! We reported the problem to reception, who made all the right noises, but nothing changed. Room quite clean, but carpet a bit grubby in places.

Free wifi which worked well.
Breakfast (not included in room rate and optional of course) was excellent and good value @£8.95 for full English. We did not eat dinner in the restaurant.

This hotel convenient for Durham city! has plentiful parking and a bus stop right outside.

Reasonably good value for money, but needs to shape up on the plumbing!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
middlesbrough
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel and restaurant deserves an excellent review- we stayed for one night in one of their four poster rooms and had dinner and breakfast whilst we were there. Check in was quick and all the staff were very friendly. The room was in the main building but most of their rooms are outside in a US motel style. Quite cool if you're looking for something unique!
Our room was large and immaculately clean, having everything we needed. The rooms were a little too hot but it had been a very cold weekend so we could forgive them this! The food in the restaurant was really delicious, and surroundings were modern and informal. Service was excellent also, even though the restaurant was busy. Breakfast next day was also great and provided everything we needed and more. Receptionist gave us some good info on exploring the area and was again friendly and polite. only a short drive from Durham centre too. Would definitely return and will be recommending to family and friends .

Room Tip: If you dont want nosie from the road, choose to stay in the main building - we didnt hear a thing a...