“Good value for money, would stay again.”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
“Good value for money, would stay again.”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed in one of the chalet type rooms and overall the experience was a happy one and the hotel was good value for money. The room was decorated to a good standard and both room and bathroom were extremely clean and spacious. The hotel staff were efficient and conscientious. The only criticisms I have are that when we walked into our room it was boiling hot, yet our friends room several doors down was at the right temperature and was just warm. Also the ceiling light was very dim which I would understand if there was no lamp however there was a lamp in the room, the option to have either a brighter main light or use the lamp for dimmer lighting would have been appreciated.

• Stayed March 2014
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear lauren-kb-87,
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you found us to be good value for money and that you would stay again. We'll certainly take a look at the heating in the rooms to make sure that everything is running as normal, all rooms are heated to the same temperature by our computer system so the next time that you stay you should see that everything is running as normal. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Unsal Aydin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
consett
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I bought a voucher for afternoon tea and looked lovely on the picture. when afternoon tea arrived there were sandwiches with no butter, clotted cream with no jam and two little cakes. It was very poor and didn't look like the picture. I was very disappointed but there was one positive the staff who were serving were good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Maggie508
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear bekkarobbo,
Thank you for your review. I must apologise for your afternoon tea experience. As you can see from our previous replies we have improved our afternoon teas greatly starting this week, and every customer who comes through the door will now experience a fantastic afternoon tea and service.

Unsal Aydin, General Manager
durham
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I bought a voucher for afternoon for tea for 2 should of been £30.00 got it for £15, all I can say is if I had paid £15.00 I would of complained as it was very poor quality for afternoon tea. You were not given a choice of sandwiches but thankfully they did change them as I don't like salad or dressings. When it arrived the sandwiches were basic no butter or margarine on very odd, 2 small brownies, 2 small bits of cheesecake and 1 scone each, I paid £15 for afternoon tea somewhere else recently and we got alot more than this one (sandwiches, 2 scones each, cheesecake, 3 cakes) and alot better quality I really don't know how that could be classed as £15 pounds worth of afternoon tea to be honest, I for one will not be going back. The staff were friendly though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mrgizmo
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear mrgizmo

Thank you for your review of your experience at the hotel. Firstly I would like to apologise for your the disappointment that you experienced with your afternoon tea. Our standard afternoon tea consists of Unlimited tea and coffee, two rounds of sandwiches, two chocolate eclairs, two macorunes, two chocolates, two fruit scones and fresh cream and butter. As the afternoon teas sold very well last year we decided to extend our promotions to the New Year to give the opportunity for our local customers like yourself to come and try the food, service and hospitality that we offer here. I have personally spoken to Harry our Head Chef about your concerns to see where we can improve, and I would like to invite you back the hotel in the near future to enjoy an afternoon tea for two with my compliments. If you would like to take up this offer, please contact me directly at the hotel, I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

me and my hubby stayed here and got upgraded to a room in the main building , it was gorgeous! lovely food and staff and breakfast very good, lovely outdoor seating area, would reccomend, brilliant value for money x

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
dunston
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We first stayed here one Saturday in January for our anniversary, for bed breakfast evening meal as we had read good reviews. We had room 28 which was a courtyard room although quite small was adequate for one night stay . The evening meal was extremely disappointing to say the least My husbands starter of duck wraps were served cold.My main course of roast sirloin of beef consisted of two slices of what looked like supermarket bought beef which was so tough even the couple at the next table commented on my inability to cut it.My husbands and my food was again served cold so we could nt eat it.We left the restaurant very hungry and disappointed The next morning the shower wasnt working breakfast was served school dinner style standing in line with someone doling out the food like a dinner lady this was again cold.After voicing our complaints we received a phone call from the manager with apologies and offering us sunday lunch on the house.And as i believe everyone is allowed a second chance we took his offer up. We decided to stay on a room only basis as it was too far to drive home We arrived early and were promptly given the key to room 29 but when we let ourselves in it still had the previous guests suitcases and belongings in they were moved out and we were told they had upgraded to another room We were given three different reasons for this upgrade. When I tried to have a bath there was no hot water we reported it straight away but nothing was done about it We went for our meal.with out a bath or shower i may add. We ordered prawn cocktail which consisted of an ice cream sundae glass filled to the top with lettuce and the smallest amount of prawn cocktail on the top Our main course I had the pork husband had the beef. guess what it was stone cold the food looked like it had been standing all day. The creamy vegetable I dont know what it was had a skin on it. We gave it up as a bad job and asked for a taxi into Durham where we went for something to eat.As the saying goes there is no such thing as a free lunch well this certainly was nt. By the time we paid for a room taxis and food we spent a fortune.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kathersdunston
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear kathersdunston,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with a lot of the things that you have written on your review. I have spoken to you personally and a lot of things that you have written you haven't mentioned to me during our conversation. I'm not sure that this review is an honest review. You yourself told me during our conversation that you were not happy at another hotel, and therefore you decided to come here. I find your comments to be quite unfair to our honest local food producers. I have to point out that the duck wraps are served warm, not hot, and the beef that we buy is from a local supplier less than 8 miles from the hotel. The second time you came here you were complaining that the heating and hot water was a problem, I myself checked all of the heating and plumbing and there wasn't a problem. On top of that I came in the next day very early to make sure that everything was running as normal for you, and there were no issues. I do believe that whatever myself and my staff did, it wasn't going to be to your liking unfortunately, it doesn't matter whatever I offered free and you received already, including a free lunch, free bottle of wine, free drinks, it didn't give any satisfaction to your stay, and you sill asked for a free room. I can see that your other reviews for other places are less than complimentary. Overall, I do think that your review is very unfair, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Called in for Sunday lunch and had the two course deal . Prawn cocktail was a touch light on prawns but the main courses made up for it . Lyn had beef which she said was beautiful and I had the best burger ive had in a long time which came with hand cut fat chips .Delightful and a friendky goodbye as we left as well

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevstewart
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here for one night for a birthday party and will not be staying over again. The room was ok but the bed was far too small for two people and not comfortable at all. The only thing that was ok about the stay was the breakfast

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends