“Staff Seem Snobby”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
“Staff Seem Snobby”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm not normally picky about things like staff but I have been fortunate to attend The Honest Lawyer on two occasions now and on both occasions the "Three Star AA" staff (experienced in a AA Three Star hotel, apparently as a requirement to work there) seem passionately devoid and quite snobby. With the exception of the bartender who was lovely, the staff around our function on both occasions have seemed to look down on me for whatever reason. I don't like this sort of attitude in any aspect of life and certainly wouldn't want it when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself.

On the plus side, the food is always well prepared and they DO do their jobs to a good standard, attitude aside, I just wish they could be taught to be less stuck up when serving.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Asgardale
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Asgardale,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, we do welcome all feedback and yours is greatly appreciated. I would first of all like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our food and the efficiency of our team, who as I am sure you will appreciate when we have a function on and a busy restaurant they do make sure that all of our guests are looked after.

I have personally briefed all of the team here to remind them that customers are our number one priority, and that a warm, friendly welcome and positive attitude do go a long way. I am sure that when you return to the hotel in the near future, you will see this for yourself.

Unsal Aydin, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at The Honest Lawyer as part of a birthday treat. The room was off a courtyard which meant that the car could be left directly at the door. As the room was entered directly from outside this unfortunately mean that the carpet was a bit in need of a shampoo. The room smelled a little bit musty which we guessed was from the sandbags outside of the window, though apart from this we had a lovely view over fields. Generally speaking, the housekeeping staff had done a good job as the room and bathroom were very clean with lots of nice fluffy towels. The rooms could do with a bit of soundproofing as we could hear our neighbours on both sides talking, and whenever either of them switched on their hot tap it sounded as though they were in our bathroom. Unfortunately all through the night the hot water pipe groaned at regular intervals for a couple of seconds at a time which meant that despite the comfortable bed neither of us got much sleep. The gap round the door meant that we could hear every voice and footstep outside our door and every vehicle that passed on the A1. Even though we live in the country the dawn chorus was deafening. We spoke to the very nice receptionist about the pipe noises when we booked out, and he apologised and immediately gave us a discount and promised he would ask someone to investigate. All the staff we came across were polite and friendly, and the food we had in the restaurant was nice although a little pricey, but despite this we wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Jackie M
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm pleased that most points are to your liking. I can personally assure you that your comments have been taken onboard, and that I have arranged a meeting with our contractors and head office to address the problems that you have experienced. I do hope that this experience has not put you off returning to the hotel, and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Honest Lawyer in the near future.

Unsal Aydin
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked through booking.com so wasn't sure what to expect. Absolutely lovely place. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and the food was gorgeous and the portions were very generous to say the least, great value too. Compliments to the chef and all yhe staff. Well worth the visit, we will definitely be paying another visit. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank tracynpaulturner
Dear tracynpaulturner,
Thank you for your kind review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your liking, that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly, and that you were impressed with our food. I'm sure that you will return to the hotel in the near future to sample our new a la carte menu which goes even further to improve the standard of food which we offer.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We book a table for 8pm but arrived at 7pm so we had a few drinks whilst browsing the menu and there was a new menu in plaice from our last visit a couple of weeks ago. So my wife tried the Mackerel which was served on a bean and Chorizo cassoulet and I had the Corned beef hash cake with Doreen's Black pudding topped with a fried egg and brown sauce. For our mains the Suckling Pigs was an immediate choice for both of us which was served with Spinach, Mushrooms, Sage & pancetta stuffing served with a delightful Cider and Apple sauce to tip over mustard mash.....Wife asked for plain mash and it wasn't a problem. If you haven't tried The Honest Lawyer its a must try for any occasion with specials on throughout the week too.....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear lazenby28,
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is always a pleasure to see you in the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to try our brand new a la carte menu which is proving to be very popular.

Kind Regards

Unsal Aydin, General Manager.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

8 of us dined here for Easter Sunday lunch as we have visited here a number of times and have thoroughly enjoyed it, however on this occasion we were extremely disappointed. We were seated in the atrium and after ordering we then had a 45 minute wait before our starters arrived, I will say they were nice and we all enjoyed them. After sitting for a further 40 minutes we then asked a member of staff how long it would be until our main course would be served, once served we then had to ask three times for vegetables, the food was very tasty yet luke warm but as no staff came back to us we could not bring it to their attention. We were given dessert menus but after waiting 30 minutes for a member of staff to come back and take our order we decided the best thing to do was go to the bar and pay our bill as we didn't have the time to wait any longer. The most disappointing thing during all of this was the three staff members that were more interested in eating their own staff lunch next to us rather than attending to the tables around them. After this experience it will be a while before we revisit, that's if we will at all.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Snoopybrown29
Dear Snoopybrown29,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am obviously disappointed with the experience that you received when you were dining with. We served over 350 people for Easter Sunday Lunch, and everyone gave us excellent feedback, although I do appreciate that with your table we did get things wrong. I have personally spoken to our management team here to ensure that all guests are looked after to the high standards which I expect. I hope that this one occasion will not put you off returning to the hotel in the near future.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We spent 2 nights over a weekend at this hotel and to be honest it was a nice place. Same standard as Travel Lodge, Premier Inn or any of the other similar hotels but this one was cheaper and has an attached bar. The staff were friendly and helpful and they even let us stay in the room 30 minutes after we checked out while we waited for a lift. The only issue i do have was that we went for breakfast on Sunday morning and it was fairly cold and the toaster didn't work! Wouldn't of been so bad if it wasn't £9 each but i do have to add that although we didn't eat at any other time, whilst sat having a pint in the bar the food that was coming out of the kitchen on Saturday evening looked lovely and was certainly getting good reviews from those eating. I go to Durham quite regularly so will definitely use this hotel again

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank leedsolly
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear leedsolly,
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found is to be good value for money. I will certainly look into the problems that you had with breakfast to make sure that we improve this, we have just introduced a new hot counter for our pastries & bagels, and see what else we can improve. We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed with my teenage daughter before we could move her things back to her college room the following day. The rooms are built around the car park in a motel style and our room was comfortable if not particularly spacious. Warning - the walls are thin - we could hear the couple in the next room (they were not being loud) and as our TV was off, we could hear theirs. I made a comment about hoping that they didn't get too amorous and later (when I had fallen asleep) my daughter said that they must have heard because they put on a little show for her before laughing and carrying on with a normal conversation. We ate in the bar area and the food was fine although a little pricey. Breakfast is buffet style with hot cooked plus croissants and cereals/yoghurts. The service was very good so the rating is for the room and value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mallika N,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Overall I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, although I am disappointed that other guests disturbed your stay, unfortunately this is beyond our control although we do ask that guests contact reception in the case of issues like this and we will see what we can do to resolve this kind of issue. However I hope that this experience does not put you off returning to the hotel in the near future, and we look forward to seeing you again soon