“Good location and value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Oldham
“Good location and value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Hotel was clean, comfortable, the room was of a good standard and the staff were very helpful, on our request changing part of the booking during the week before our stay. It provided very good value for money. I would be happy to stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Neil M
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Neil M,
Thank you for your review of The Honest Lawyer Hotel, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your liking, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, and I am especially delighted that you found us to be very good value for money.

Unsal Aydin, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We stopped here as a stop-gap to see Durham. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was comfortable. Compared with other hotel prices this was certainly a bargain and the benefit of having an onsite car-park meant that we could leave our car and take a bus into Durham City. The bus stop is directly outside the hotel so very convenient and runs every 10-12 minutes.

I was also very impressed by the food here. We dined at their onsite restaurant Baileys, and were very impressive. Good quality locally sourced homely food that was beautifully presented. Breakfast was equally lovely - not the usual buffet brekkie but instead freshly prepared and a selection of choices including full english/smoked kippers. Wld definitely stay again.

Dear Sumana2012,
Thank you for your review of The Honest Lawyer, i'm very pleased that everything was to your liking and that you found us to be good value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend! Mistake and never to be repeated! We were given room 36 and immediately in the room the loud and internittent noise ofa fan/pump intruded ! We asked to be moved and this was done immediately but to the last available room! The noise was not so bad in terms if noise as room 35 but still apparent! What was worse was the state of the filthy bedding !!
We showed this to the receptionist and head housekeeper who said it should never have been put in the bed! We paid our bill in full we were told the manager would be in touch to discuss-that never happened! No apology! We are very reasonable people and rarely complain but felt we needed to this time!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Budapestperson
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Budapestperson,

Thank you for your review. When I came into work on the Sunday that you checked out, my Head Housekeeper did go through your complaint with me. Upon inspection when I personally went to the room, I realised that the marks on the sheet were from our laundry company, and when I called them the next day they explained that they do a Steam press on the sheets and that there was a faint spillage of hydraulic oil. I completely agree with you that the sheet should not have been put onto the bed, we do pride ourselves with our levels of cleanliness and we will make sure that this does not happen again. I do apologise that you weren’t called back, however I was informed by Reception that you were handed my business card and I was actually waiting for a call at a time which was convenient for you. I do hope that this one experience has not put you off returning to the hotel, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Unsal Aydin
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Good but not very good! This hotel is well priced and staff kindly upgraded us to a room in the main house, sadly adjacent to the road though, which makes for a very very noisy night! Fair enough they did offer to move us when another room became available. Breakfast is good and the staff are kind and friendly. Usual problems with the plumbing! Cold shower and soaking wet bathroom floor because there is no shower curtain just an inadequate screen. Convenient for Durham.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear moses_karibu,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, it was nice to welcome you back to the hotel again as regular customers. Although I can see that you had some problems, i'm pleased that we were able to offer you an alternative room when one became available. I have spoken to Eddie our Maintenence Manager to ensure that any plumbing problems that you have had are addressed, especially the cold shower as we always have plenty of hot water available.

We are in the process of installing a shower curtain into the room that you stayed in, which will certainly fix the problem that you experienced with too much water.

I am sure that if you can give us another chance and return to the hotel in the near future you will see that we have resolved these issues, and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Really friendly welcome, efficient check in. We stayed in room 56 with four poster which was really nice, had everything you need. Everywhere was clean enough but the top of the bed could have done with a dusting. Our room was facing a main road but that didn't bother us too much. We ate in the bar and the food was really nice, reasonably priced too. Unfortunately had a very disturbed sleep because what sounded like either an extractor fan in someone's bathroom or a boiler kept making a noise on and off right up to about 2am then it started again from 8am. Mentioned it next morning but even the receptionist was a bit perplexed as to what it was and where it was coming from! Would definitely go back but will make sure we stay in a different room.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear MrandMrs15,
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel, i'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found most parts of your stay to be good. Rest assured that our Maintenance Manager is currently exploring any issues that have been raised by our guests at Reception to ensure that they are dealt with quickly and efficiently. We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, as you mentioned you would prefer to stay in a different room, please call us at the hotel directly and we will be more than happy to arrange this for you.

Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We've been to the Honest Lawyer many times and have always been very impressed with the quality of the food. However, we went on Sunday for lunch and were incredibly disappointed for the first time. We ordered the haddock and both the fish and chips were overcooked. My children ate little of their food for this reason and our friend who took us for dinner, who himself has dinner at the hotel several times a month, left most of his food. Considering how much they charge for a fish and chip dinner, you do not expect the food to be so poorly cooked. Very unimpressed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank durham05
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear durham05,

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving a review of your experience at the hotel, we do welcome all feedback both positive and negative, it is only with feedback that we can improve the quality of our offering. I must however sincerely apologise for the experience that you received at the hotel, this is certainly not inline with the standards that I expect any of our guests to receive. Our haddock & chips is one of our most popular dishes, and for that reason I do expect it to be perfect everytime, unfortunately however I appreciate that this was not this case when you visited us on Sunday. I would like to personally assure you that I have spoken to our Head Chef, Restaurant Manager and Bar Manager to make sure that from now on we get every dish right 100% of the time, and I do hope that if you are to give us another chance, you will experience the improvements which we are putting into place first hand. Myself and the entire team here at The Honest Lawyer look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm not normally picky about things like staff but I have been fortunate to attend The Honest Lawyer on two occasions now and on both occasions the "Three Star AA" staff (experienced in a AA Three Star hotel, apparently as a requirement to work there) seem passionately devoid and quite snobby. With the exception of the bartender who was lovely, the staff around our function on both occasions have seemed to look down on me for whatever reason. I don't like this sort of attitude in any aspect of life and certainly wouldn't want it when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself.

On the plus side, the food is always well prepared and they DO do their jobs to a good standard, attitude aside, I just wish they could be taught to be less stuck up when serving.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Asgardale
Dear Asgardale,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, we do welcome all feedback and yours is greatly appreciated. I would first of all like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our food and the efficiency of our team, who as I am sure you will appreciate when we have a function on and a busy restaurant they do make sure that all of our guests are looked after.

I have personally briefed all of the team here to remind them that customers are our number one priority, and that a warm, friendly welcome and positive attitude do go a long way. I am sure that when you return to the hotel in the near future, you will see this for yourself.