“social gathering”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
benidorm
“social gathering”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Selected this hotel purely on location but we were pleased with the accommodation and the food available. The rooms were small but adequate , clean well furnished and quiet. For anybody visiting the area I would recommend this as an ideal shopping of location . Plenty of parking and open spaces for kids or pets . The service in the bar and restaurant was first class

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tony4848
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear, Tony4848

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I`m very pleased, you found accommodation clean and adequate. I`m very happy to hear you would recommend us to anyone visiting the area. We have just launched, our new all day and a-lacarte menu. It is very popular by our guests . We are pet friendly hotel with a lot of FREE car parking spaces. We do have also little garden and a lovely decking area with some tables. It does get use a lot when weather is nice. I will pass your kind comments to Scott and his team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I've been here a few times now for meals and I've never had a reason to complain. The staff are very friendly and the food is very nice. Always a pleasant atmosphere when we eat in the bar area. Would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle S
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear, Michelle S

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoy the food and atmosphere every time you come here to Honest Lawyer. I'm so proud of my team. They always go extra mile. Make sure our guests are happy. And, please!!! come back and try our new menu. It is lovely. A lot more choice. So far we have very positive and great feed back about it. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is great for short stays of 1 or 2 nights. The overall facilities are lacking for longer stays such as health club or pool and its out of town.
The rooms are quite small but spotless and basic but perfectly comfortable and parking is in the courtyard around where the rooms are built motel fashion so no extebnded wlks with your bags etc
the highlight of this stay is the bar and restaurant where you will be warmly welcomed and served with a great menu full of choices from sandwiches, snack (including Tapa's) to full blow silver service in the a la carte restaurant.
the food was simply outstanding and i had the best fillet steak and chips with trimmings i can remember having in the UK for years. Perfectly cooked to my request and the best fat chiops ever.
The menu is very varied and offers something for everyone. i particularly enjoyed the Tapas menu at £16 for four dishes and £22 for six dishes.
the staff were courteaous and keen to ensure you were fully satisfied.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I`m very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Also, I`m very happy . You felt you had warm welcome from my team. I`m so proud to be here and working with a great team. As a manager. They make the difference here. Our new a-lacart and all day menu seems a big hit by everyone. From simple snacks, sandwiches and pennines to home made lasagne and burgers. It seems we can’t make enough tapas dishes these days. They are very popular. With a glass wine or a cold pint. Mouth watering. Also, steaks are 28 day matured and locally produced. I will pass your comment to Harry and our meat supplier. I do agree with you we have one of the best big chips around. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and were greeted on reception by a lovely lady very chatty and helpful. She offered us an upgrade but did mention the room was on the main road and maybe noisy. The room was beautiful with a lovely four poster bed and immaculately clean. We had dinner which was beautiful and quite reasonably priced and breakfast which was an extra £10.
The bed was so comfortable but it was quite noisy and with the heat had to keep the windows open but we were warned!
All in all it was a lovely stay the only fault was the noise at the front but that was mentioned on check in. The staff were all friendly and helpful and it was so clean. Thank you for a lovely stay

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Starting from end of this year there is going to be some road work around here. Council, going to be building new roundabout and new road layout. With, new speed limits . Which will reduce traffic noise a lot.. I`m very happy you enjoyed your dinner and your breakfast with us and you found your room lovely and clean. I will pass your kind comments to the team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were due to board a ship the following day at the Port of Tyne. This one night stopover was a perfect location travelling from Gloucestershire about 5 hours drive from the south west.
Nobody was a reception when we arrived but a quick ring of the bell brought about quick friendly
attention. It was great to be able to park in front of our door and if there had been rain the luggage wouldn't have got wet. The room was clean with a relaxing view looking over a wheat field.
We took a pleasant walk up to the nearby bridge over the River Wear, it was a lovely rural location
with birds and wild flowers.
The food was good for the evening meal and also the breakfast the following day.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are a distance away from the busy road but I quess rooms 1 and 2 are the nearest s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 49Pam
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I hope you are going somewhere really nice and have a great time. I don’t know when you checked in but we have always someone at the reception between 07 am to 21 pm. I'm pleased as soon as you rang the bell one of my friendly staff was there to greet you. We do get a lot of positive feed back about car parking right outside the room. Even better it is FREE. We do have a lot of walking paths to the fields around here. Very popular with the walkers and bikers. I'm very please to hear you found room clean and comfortable and the food is good. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Decided to stay at this hotel after finding a good deal on Booking.com, contacted the hotel prior to ask for a complimentary upgrade due to the special occasion which was approved which was lovely, We were offered the suite which was nice with a spa bath, bit of a noisy generator at the on the roof just outside our room. Wife was down however was fixed after a few hours. The restaurant serves pretty good food, we had the Burger which was lovely and the fahitas, which were a slight letdown due to the chicken being poor quality. all in all a nice budget stay with very nice staff,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear, Robben 1985

Thank you for your review of the hotel. Whenever we can we always do complimentary upgrade for our guests. And I'm very pleased to hear my team done that for you. We have just introduced our new menu this week. Everything I have seen and tried so far really nice.I will certainly speak to chef about fajitas. It is one of my favourite dish on the menu and very popular by our guests. It is very important we get it right every time. But also I'm happy you enjoyed your burger. I'm very pleased to hear you found my team very nice. I will pass your comments to all.. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here for one night while working in Durham. A bit out of town, but everything else (at reasonable price) was booked up for some reason.

There was no-one at reception when I arrived (by taxi), but someone quickly came in from the bar and was helpful. They forgot to tell me the wifi key, but that was swiftly remedied.

Having seen the hotel from the road many times, I was surprised to find that the rooms are actually outside the main building, arranged motel-style around the car park. Not a problem for me, and the room itself was fine with a very comfortable bed. Being very tired I slept like a log, but a lighter sleeper might be bothered by road noise since cars really speed along the road at this point and I noticed it while getting dressed in the morning. The en suite bathroom with shower above the bath was fine, but more functional than actively nice.

The breakfast was good, although at just under £10 a bit expensive for what you get -- and what's with the only a half slice of black pud?! I walked to Durham after checking out, to find out how long it would actually take: about 40 mins fairly fast walk to get to the university site on South Road. It would be another 10 to get to the centre of town / cathedral. I saw no sign of the buses that were scheduled to stop outside the hotel, but maybe just wasn't paying attention. Most people will prefer private car or taxi to get to and from this hotel, I guess.

I'd stay again, but only if I couldn't get something (including B&B) for a similar price in town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear, Andy B.

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We are only 3 miles from Durham City Centre. Walking takes little time to get there. Bet there is a bus stop outside the hotel. Which available every 10/15 minutes. I personally do use park and ride or get a bus to go to Durham. I found it much easier than trying to find car parking space in Durham. We do have 24 hour reception service here at Honest Lawyer. But reception manned every day between 07.00 am to 21.00 pm except Sundays. Out of this hours Manager on duty takes it over .I'm very pleased you found room is fine and bed is comfortable. Breakfast we serve here is continental and cooked breakfast for only £9.95. I'm really sorry if you find this expensive. And I promise you ,if you did ask any member of staff for more black pudding they would happily bring more.. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.