The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Bowburn Hall(Durham)
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
1,013 results
All reviewsmotel stylemain buildingfish and chipssunday lunchroad noisecourtyard roomdurham citypark and rideexcellent value for moneybooked this hotelsconesmain coursean evening mealmember of staffnight's sleeptwo night stayfour poster bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Selected this hotel purely on location but we were pleased with the accommodation and the food available. The rooms were small but adequate , clean well furnished and quiet. For anybody visiting the area I would recommend this as an ideal shopping of location . Plenty of parking and open spaces for kids or pets . The service in the bar and restaurant was first class

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tony4848
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear, Tony4848

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I`m very pleased, you found accommodation clean and adequate. I`m very happy to hear you would recommend us to anyone visiting the area. We have just launched, our new all day and a-lacarte menu. It is very popular by our guests . We are pet friendly hotel with a lot of FREE car parking spaces. We do have also little garden and a lovely decking area with some tables. It does get use a lot when weather is nice. I will pass your kind comments to Scott and his team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I've been here a few times now for meals and I've never had a reason to complain. The staff are very friendly and the food is very nice. Always a pleasant atmosphere when we eat in the bar area. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle S
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear, Michelle S

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoy the food and atmosphere every time you come here to Honest Lawyer. I'm so proud of my team. They always go extra mile. Make sure our guests are happy. And, please!!! come back and try our new menu. It is lovely. A lot more choice. So far we have very positive and great feed back about it. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is great for short stays of 1 or 2 nights. The overall facilities are lacking for longer stays such as health club or pool and its out of town.
The rooms are quite small but spotless and basic but perfectly comfortable and parking is in the courtyard around where the rooms are built motel fashion so no extebnded wlks with your bags etc
the highlight of this stay is the bar and restaurant where you will be warmly welcomed and served with a great menu full of choices from sandwiches, snack (including Tapa's) to full blow silver service in the a la carte restaurant.
the food was simply outstanding and i had the best fillet steak and chips with trimmings i can remember having in the UK for years. Perfectly cooked to my request and the best fat chiops ever.
The menu is very varied and offers something for everyone. i particularly enjoyed the Tapas menu at £16 for four dishes and £22 for six dishes.
the staff were courteaous and keen to ensure you were fully satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I`m very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Also, I`m very happy . You felt you had warm welcome from my team. I`m so proud to be here and working with a great team. As a manager. They make the difference here. Our new a-lacart and all day menu seems a big hit by everyone. From simple snacks, sandwiches and pennines to home made lasagne and burgers. It seems we can’t make enough tapas dishes these days. They are very popular. With a glass wine or a cold pint. Mouth watering. Also, steaks are 28 day matured and locally produced. I will pass your comment to Harry and our meat supplier. I do agree with you we have one of the best big chips around. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and were greeted on reception by a lovely lady very chatty and helpful. She offered us an upgrade but did mention the room was on the main road and maybe noisy. The room was beautiful with a lovely four poster bed and immaculately clean. We had dinner which was beautiful and quite reasonably priced and breakfast which was an extra £10.
The bed was so comfortable but it was quite noisy and with the heat had to keep the windows open but we were warned!
All in all it was a lovely stay the only fault was the noise at the front but that was mentioned on check in. The staff were all friendly and helpful and it was so clean. Thank you for a lovely stay

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Starting from end of this year there is going to be some road work around here. Council, going to be building new roundabout and new road layout. With, new speed limits . Which will reduce traffic noise a lot.. I`m very happy you enjoyed your dinner and your breakfast with us and you found your room lovely and clean. I will pass your kind comments to the team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were due to board a ship the following day at the Port of Tyne. This one night stopover was a perfect location travelling from Gloucestershire about 5 hours drive from the south west.
Nobody was a reception when we arrived but a quick ring of the bell brought about quick friendly
attention. It was great to be able to park in front of our door and if there had been rain the luggage wouldn't have got wet. The room was clean with a relaxing view looking over a wheat field.
We took a pleasant walk up to the nearby bridge over the River Wear, it was a lovely rural location
with birds and wild flowers.
The food was good for the evening meal and also the breakfast the following day.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are a distance away from the busy road but I quess rooms 1 and 2 are the nearest so it may be quite noisy there
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 49Pam
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I hope you are going somewhere really nice and have a great time. I don’t know when you checked in but we have always someone at the reception between 07 am to 21 pm. I'm pleased as soon as you rang the bell one of my friendly staff was there to greet you. We do get a lot of positive feed back about car parking right outside the room. Even better it is FREE. We do have a lot of walking paths to the fields around here. Very popular with the walkers and bikers. I'm very please to hear you found room clean and comfortable and the food is good. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.