“Enjoyable Stay”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Stayed at The Honest Lawyer on Thursday and Friday night last week. Easy enough to find as it's just off the A167 and a very short drive (2 miles away) to the centre of Durham. Check-in was straight forward and efficient. We stayed both nights in a Courtyard Room that was both immaculately clean and comfortable. The rear view of our room looked out onto a field. The room had a comfortable bed and the en-suite bathroom was equipped with power shower. Good sized TV with Freeview and the DVD / CD player was a nice touch. There was a little noise from the nearby road but that dies down and wasn't really a problem. We had breakfast both mornings (available up to 9:00am on weekdays and 10:00am at weekends). There was a good selection of cereal and toasts plus a hot help-yourself buffet consisting of the 'full english'. The staff seemed happy enough and offered plentiful tea/coffee top ups. We didn't have lunch or dinner at the hotel but ate out instead. Special mention to the Zen (Chinese Restaurant) in Durham and The Rupali (Indian Restaurant) in Newcastle both Excellent !!! We went to the Carling/02 Academy in Newcastle on the Friday night (to see The Enemy) and that was a really good gig venue. I booked our stay via the hotel website www.honestlawyerhotel.com and, having previously signed up for their newsletter, got an email advising of a £10 Spring promotion discount. This more than paid for our taxi (£6.00) back from Durham one night. Bargain. I'd certainly be happy to stay again at The Honest Lawyer as it offers a more than decent standard for a reasonable price plus I'd like to sample the lunch / dinner menu which looked excellent !!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jools483

Reviewed 31 August 2008

I recently stopeed for a couple of nights at this hotel and found it to be a very pleasant stay. the rooms are nice and the service is great. The meals are excellent though. I had crab rissotto starter and Duck with strawberries and fig for main and the cheese board for pudding. The meal was absolutely lovely. the service was excellent to. The rooms are a bit basic but the food and the service well makes up for that.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
HonestLawyerHotel, Head Receptionist at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2008

Thank you very much for your review - your comments are greatly appreciated. We will pass your comments onto the team, and look forward to welcoming you back to the Honest Lawyer Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 July 2008

The rooms are motel style and quite nicely decorated - the main problem is that they are concrete blocks and at night when one person goes to the bathroom and the ventilation fan kicks in - the noise echoes down the whole block.

Nothing like a good night's sleep! I had nothing like a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank David W

Thank you for your feedback - it's greatly appreciated. We have just finished refurbishing all of the bathrooms in our Courtyard bedrooms. All of the fans have been replaced, solving this problem.

Reviewed 23 April 2008

After reading the tripadvisor reviews, I was nicely surprised when I got to the honest lawyer. Not far from Durham, it was perfect for dropping the kids off at University.

I had an inside Deluxe room, rather than the motel style rooms that other people have stayed in. We did book one of those rooms, and had a look round - it was a nice and clean room.

The rooms had nice flat screen tv's, comfy beds, and power shower. Jus what you need for a short hotel stay.

We usually stay in the city centre, which is a lot more expensive - we'll definatley be returning to the honest lawyer.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 April 2008

Reading some of the Reviews, I did wonder what we had let ourselves in for. However, we were quite pleased with the hotel and staff.

POSITION: About 4 miles out of Durham. Bus stop right outside. Use your pass or pay about £1.40. Quiet position on a fairly main road but road noise is minimal at night.

RECEPTION: Polite, helpful, show an interest in guests.

ROOMS: Did not see rooms in main building, and these remarks are for the "motel" rooms. Not the biggest I have stayed in but more than adequate with all the usual fascilities. Clean and comfortable is the best way of describing them. HOWEVER!!!!! Beware of rooms 8 and 9. These are next door to the heating/water pump, and that thing does have a tendancy to wake you up early in the morning, or prevent you from having a nap in the afternoon. If I were to be offered one of those rooms on my next visit, I would refuse and move on!!!
Other than the noise, there is nothing else negative that I can say about the room.

FOOD: Excellent!! Had dinner on both nights, which were the same menue each night, but plenty of choice. Hot and well cooked and presented. Staff in the dining room were efficient, smiling and very helpful. Brerakfast was bog standard buffet, but more than adequate.

BAR: Again a very nice area in which to meet friends and have a drink, providing that you have enough credit on your card!! I thought the drinks were a bit costly, but you are in a hotel I suppose.

GENERAL: A very happy weekend was had by all. Big car park. Fields surrounding the building, Clean room. Excellent food. What more could you wish for??

WOULD I GO AGAIN: Certainly, without hesitation. BUT NOT IN ROOM 8 or 9!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
honest_lawyerDurham, Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2008

Mr Hilton,
Thank you for your review - we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We will investigate the issues in rooms 8 and 9, thank you for bringing these to our attention, and we will look forward to welcoming you back to The Honest Lawyer Hotel.

Reviewed 16 March 2008

We were booked in for just one night.We prepaid for Dinner & overnight stay.
We arrived on Saturday night at 7p.m. Reception gave us the key to room 47.
When we entered the room it was apparent that it had not been cleaned from the previous night.The bed was unmade and the pillows still had the indentations of the previous guests heads!
The bathroom was strewn with dirty towels and there were two cups of tea unwashed on a table.
My wife & I initially complained and were duly transferred to room no 54. This had twin beds and was reasonably clean.However the curtains were hanging off the curtain rail.
I again approached Reception and said that as I had booked a double room I wanted a double bed and not twin beds.At this stage I was told by the manager that the beds pushed together easily! I replied that If I wanted to push beds around all night I could have stayed at home and pushed my own beds around.
As we were booked in for a meal we then had a chat between ourselves and decided to call it a day! We asked, and were given a full refund. I have travelled all over the globe and it took a hotel in my home town to be the first hotel to check us into a dirty room.

Stayed: March 2008
4  Thank chassybassy
Reviewed 21 January 2008

I stayed at this Hotel on the 7th January, and after some of the reviews I was a bit worried but I decided to go anyway. As u pull upto the Hotel this is more of a motel style with rooms around the main building of the Hotel. As we entered the Hotel we both were greeted with the warmest welcome's from the receptionist. Our room was in the main buiding of the Hotel, the bathroom was large with a gorgeous power shower, Flat screen TV And FREE WI-FI in the room which was really handy for as I carry my Laptop everywhere. Later on we decided to dine in there restaurant called Chambers i think. WE both had Scallops & Wild Mushrooms for starters, also a Seabass & Pork loin and my favourite Sticky Toffee Pudding for afters, I got to say the meal was one of the best we had for a long while, and the service was excellent and not to intrusive which I hate. To summarize for a 3 Star Hotel its exeptional we payed £95.95 Dinner Bed & Breakfast for 2 of us Value Value Value, we will back again as our son is at University there.

Stayed: January 2008