“Honeymoon”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Alloa, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

We were given the gift of a few days away by my mother as a wedding gift as we couldn't go abroad. In one word it was fantastic and so glad my mum booked the Best Western.
We were lucky enough to have the breakfast and evening meal as part of our package and the food was amazing.
On arrival to our room a member of staff brought us a bottle of bubbly and some orange juice as I'm pregnant and they made a fuss which was lovely after only few days of being married. Room was spacious and couldn't complain and the bathroom was also lovely especially with a jacuzzi bath (stayed in many hotels and never had one)
Hubby is a chef and I've worked within restaurant industry and we were both very impressed (which is a hard task). As I said food was spectacular and couldn't ask for anything better we tried something different each night and the breakfast was equally as good and no faults could be found. Staff were so friendly and made you feel at ease and a very comfortable atmosphere.
Can't really say much more than that, we both would visit again and think anyone visiting Durham to give this hotel a try - you definately wont be disappointed :)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2011
Dear mc_8682

First of all I would like to thankyou for such amazing comments in your review, I'm delighted the service & quality of food you recieved exceeded your expectations during your stay. I will pass all your comments down to all departments, your words are a constant source of motivation to us all. Also i would like to add, coming from a couple that is a Chef and worked in the Industry on F.O.H your words will give our team a further boast.

Again thanks for all your comments and we will look forward to welcome you both back in the not too distant future.

Chris Bowron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

My family enjoyed Christmas day lunch at this brilliant hotel. From making the original booking in August, the service from the staff team was without exception some of the best I have experienced. The food was excellent and the attention to detail first class. The whole staff team worked extremely hard to create a wonderful ambiance and atmosphere. We had two young children in the party and they were both made to feel welcome and comfortable. The whole experience made a lovely family Christmas all the more special. We are celebrating a special family birthday soon and will have no hesitation in booking it here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Dear gabriel023

I would like to thank you personally for all your amazing comments about the food and service you all recieved on Christmas Day. I had the pleasure in working that day and the feedback was really touching, all the staff throughly enjoyed working Christmas Day and found it a very relaxing atmposphere also. I also would like to thank you both for sending me an e-mail at the hotel I will pass all your comments down to my staff, this is a constant motivation to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations. We would be thrilled if yourself and friends become regular diners at the hotel, and maybe even book early for Christmas next year.

Thanks again.

Best Western Honest Lawyer Hotel
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed at the Honest Lawyer for a weekend break, to celebrate our birthday's. The Hotel was warm and welcoming, rooms clean, tidy, warm and well equipped, Hotel staff were very friendly and efficient, in particular Chris the Manager and Paul running the restaurant side, Its in a good location for the Metro Centre, Durham and golf courses. I would certainly reccomend and make a return trip it was that good :-)

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear dianebranford

Diane I would like to thank you for your warm words regarding your recent stay with ourselves, and all your positive comments about the team that looked after you both. I speak for all the staff when I say day to day it is so refreshing to have so many amazing people stay at our hotel, it certainly makes all the hard work feel worth while, each and every comment of praise really confirms my staff are a great asset to our business. I would be delighted to welcome you both back soon maybe for a short break when the weather is a little more kinder.

Thanks again for all your comments

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

i had 16 golfers from fife,scotland staying here fri and sat evening,all the golfers were amazed at the quality of food,service,help and special requirements they rallied round to help and advice my group..the food was fantastic and the choice of drink is suberb(didnt have tallisker whisky on friday but on sat it was behind the bar)very clean,and service for food was tremodous,on the saturday evening our lads(scotland team)were slighty vocal to our national anthem and to our disbeilvement some of the local dinners started singing along which really started into a party that evening(4am)must thank chris and the zoe for the help and all the other staff....5 star allways here.....ps...anyone who stays there from now will see a trophy and a scotland flag and few hats,thats our big one and we won it in durham.....bring on 3-5th june 2011....please read this and book it,,,you wonr regret it....

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Dear fbgolfing2005

It was certainly our pleasure to look after your golf party over the whole weekend, I'm so pleased you all throughly enjoyed the service and quality of food during your stay. We are quite lucky to have several amazing golf courses so close by, perfect for golf society's. I will certainly pass all your comments down to all relevant departments, your words are a constant motivation to us all.

We will look forward to seeing you all again in the not too distant future.

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

Following my recent stay at the hotel, nothing has changed!
Staff still pleasant & welcoming,
Rooms excellent,
Bar and restaurant warm and inviting,
Food "amazing" - Harry the Chef - "Mackerel & Black Pudding starter?", surely that combination can't work........Sorry it does, so the "crispy duck" goes to No.2 on the list.
I'll be back in January (work) and later in the year for the golf.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Dear mick-deek

First of all I would like to thank you personally for your kind words, I'm thrilled you keep returning to our hotel and you throughly enjoy the service you receive on every occasion. Our new menu has been launched since your last visit so I'm sure you will enjoy my chefs new delights. Again thnaks for your comments, these words will be passed down to all departments which is a constant motivation to us all. We will look forward to seeing you again in 2011.

Best Western Honest Lawyer Hotel
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

Me and my wife stayed at the Honest Lawyer on Saturday 4th December, and would highly recommend it if you are after a base, with excellent bar and dining.
We arrived early, but were welcomed by excellent staff, and although the room wasn't ready, they staill gave us the key so we could drop bags off, and freshen up....The reception staff, and the cleaners were all extremely friendly and helpful.

At night we returned after spending a day in Durham, and the food was excellent, with again really helpful friendly staff, thyere was a singer on, who was good, it was just a shame it wasn't a little fuller, but then again it was freezing outside, with deep snow....

The breakfast again, was top class, with good service.

All in hall an excellent hotel, and well worth the money paid. The staff are its best assets, with all being friendly and helpful, which is refreshing.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Wood7

I would like to personally thank you for all your kind words about your recent stay with ourselves in December. Thankfully the snow did not dampen your time in the North East. I will pass all your amazing comments regarding our staff & food to all departments which is a constant motivation to us all. We do hope you visit us in the not to distant future, I would also be delighted on check-in if you were to ask for myself as I would like to thank you in person.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

My daughter is at Durham university and I wanted to stay in Durham for my birthday weekend. Having read many reviews of hotels in Durham I emailed many hotels. The Honest Lawyer replied almost instantly with a great offer. some still haven't replied! A few weeks earlier we had had Sunday Lunch here and we were all impressed with the quality of the food and the friendly service. As I had a query about the booking I rang the hotel and was answered by Julie who was one of the most friendly and efficient hotel staff I can remember booking with.
When we arrived we were booked in by equally efficient Zoe. Unfortunately our room smelt of poor drains so back to reception and our rooms swooped. From then on no problems just excellent service. Immediately at breakfast Chris the manager came and apologised for the difficulty on check in.
We had two dinners both of which were excellent. The first evening there was a singer in the bar who provided an excellent atmosphere. The food was really good. Really large starters! The second evening again an excellent meal which was good value. The real highlight though is the friendliness of all the staff. All went out of there way to help. As it was my birthday without asking we were asked would you like us to take a family picture. At the end of the meal to my surprise they brought me a muffin with a candle in and sang happy birthday! what a great surprise.
On each day breakfast was efficient and freshly cooked. It was good not to have to jump up for the buffet! At the end of our stay Chris the most attentive hotel manager I have met in recent years thanked us personally for our stay He also encouraged my daughter to enrol in a regular diners loyalty scheme!
After a cold day visiting hms ark royal we needed a good meal. So we went back and had Sunday lunch at tea time. Probably the quickest use of a loyalty card ever. Excellent meal and it gave us a further chance to guess how many jelly beans were in the Christmas tree.

So in summary good well priced food with excellent friendly service! Will I stay again definitely!

• Stayed November 2010
Dear Grossen

I would like to personally thank you for your very kind words about your recent stay and experiences at our hotel. I will pass all your comments down to all relevant departments, your words are a constant motivation to us all to keep improving the business and exceed our guests expectations on every visit. The food and service is something we feel, seperates us from our competitors and I'm so pleased you praised us in them area's. I hope your daughter is looking forward to returning back to University in January and hopefully we will be seeing her very soon to sample our new menu. A little tip try our new assiette of desserts SCRUMPTIOUS.

Myself and all the team will look forward to you returning to the hotel in the not to distant future thanks again.