“Overall a pleasant stay.”

Premier Inn Durham East Hotel
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Me and my family stayed at this Premier Inn during the half term holiday in June. We stayed for one night after a day out at Beamish. On arrival the lady at reception was very pleasant and efficiently got us checked in. She also allowed us to book a place at the restaurant for our evening meal. Our room was located a fair walk away from the reception, but this wasn't an issue for us. The room was very clean and we were delighted to find we had a bath, we did not expect this because of the reasonable pricing for the room. The only complaint I have about the room was that my bed was a mattress on the floor with one pillow and a thin duvet. In the morning when I woke my neck did ache and this meant our day out in Durham wasn't very pleasant for me.
The meal at Table Table was very nice and my family of four all enjoyed the food. The restaurant was very cosy and you felt relaxed while in it, after our meal we stayed and had a drink in the sofa area. My brother particularly liked the game machine situated by the sofas! We went to the restaurant in the morning for our breakfast and we couldn't complain at all. There was a variety of food. We helped ourselves to the Continental and then a very cheerful Waiter got us our full English. The staff at the restaurant all were very friendly and helpful.
Overall it was a very pleasurable stay, much better than expected, and I look forward to staying in a Premier Inn in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 June 2012 via mobile

This is a well-run premier inn. I was met with a smile at reception and went straight to my room: clean and functional. The bed was comfortable, with a choice of pillows. The backlit curtains helped me get a good night's sleep. This family room had a large sofa, desk, HD TV, tea & coffee making facilities, hair dryer and Internet / WiFi connections.

The WiFi came with a free 1/2 hour. It seems ungenerous to charge. Particularly as it's entirely free in the on-site pub/restaurant. (Tip: go there for the WiFi!)

The bathroom was clean. Complementary hand wash and body/hair wash was available from pump dispensers. The flow rate on my shower was disappointing.

I had the Premier Breakfast, which is an "all you can eat deal". The cold buffet items were very good. The cooked items were generally OK, but let down by the use of cheap sausage. I did enjoy the eggs & bacon.

Parking was ample and check-out smooth.

All in all, I had a good night's sleep and ample breakfast in this bright, clean and attractive budget offering. The staff were efficient and friendly. An ideal stopover.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Like so many of the Premier Inn locations I have used, this follows the tried and tested formula. We were allocated room 50, a first floor room which looked out eastwards towards a local football ground, and was lovely and quiet. The room was huge with a king sized bed - might be more of a tight squeeze, though not uncomfortably so, if the sofa bed and roll-out were in use to make it a family room for 4. The usual small niggles: heating but no air-con, though there's a fan (not needed on our stay); I wish Premier Inn would go back to using small bars of soap instead of liquid versions; and at this location the replacement of the TVs with flat screen versions meant no visible alarm clock in the room. There's tea and coffee making facilities in the room but only enough sachets for two teas and two coffees - although I've never had any problems with receptionists giving out extra on request. In fact I'd fully agree with other comments about the quality of the reception staff here; they really seemed to care, even though illness and vacancies at the time of our visit meant some were working very long shifts.
Booked ahead at £29 per night this was amazing value. The £22 meal deal was also good value, covering three courses for dinner plus a drink and all you can eat breakfast including full cooked English. Here again some minor niggles - very busy on a Saturday night so slow service, and on the Sunday morning the cooked breakfast order was taken incorrectly. Also I was delighted to see Premier Inn has put hash browns into the standard breakfast menu, but the ones we were served had suffered from being kept warm long after they had been cooked. We didn't ask for them on the second day. Poached eggs were perfect, though.
One final point, don't trust the trip advisor / Bing mapping if it still shows the location as being off Bradford Crescent, south-west of Scully Park. The real location is the other side of Scully Park - if you scroll the interactive map north east you'll get to Broomside Lane and then beyond that to the Belmont Industrial estate. Premier Inn's own website has a better directions map.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We used this hotel as a base to see a gig at the Stadium of Light. The receptionist advised us that most people booked taxis to get to the stadium but, at £35 one way, we decided to chance our luck and drive! It is about a 20 minute drive. There are a lot of city centre car parks and we chose Sunnyside. It was a short walk to the stadium and the gig was on a Sunday when the maximum charge for parking was £1!!!! Saved at least £69!!!!! I suppose it all depends if you can get a space but we had no problems at all.
The hotel itself was staffed by friendly and polite people - even the cleaners were remarkably polite and happy which is nice to see. The room was clean and comfortable and to the usual high standard of the premier inns.
The breakfast next door, however, was disappointing as my porridge wasn't very nice at all and the toaster (which was one of the ones you put the bread in and it goes round and shoots out the bottom) burnt everything! My husband's cooked breakfast took quite a while and was missing hash browns and a veggie sausage. There weren't particularly busy so not sure why they forgot. Would recommend the premier inn but not so sure about the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue S
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed at the Premier Inn Durham East in early June for 1 night.
I was made very welcome by the receptionist who answered all my questions as well as having a good general chat.
My room was up to the usual high standard of cleanliness and comfort.
The resteraunt meal was of good quality, things were a little more noisy than usual as there was a 90th birthday party at the same time. That was not a problem.
I enjoyed a good breakfast in the morning.

All in all a good experience and I will always recommend Premier Inns to people.

Room Tip: I think my room was on the North side and was away from the road into the industrial park. Therefore...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Gareth P
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Just got back from my stay in Durham,it was up to the usual high standards set by Premier Inn.The hotel was easy to find, a two minute drive off the A1,tucked away on a small quiet industrial estate.A five minute drive takes you into the centre of Durham,with plenty of parking this is an ideal base for visiting the city.The rooms where clean,warm and spacious,we where greeted with smiles and given our room keys with an explanation of the hotels facilities.I really enjoyed this stay and would not hesitate to recommend Premier Inn East Durham.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2012

staff very welcoming. room were clean and tidy. lovely comfy bed. bathroom spot on. lovely shower nice hot shower with complementary towels.

id of loved a small fridge in my room to keep my beers chilled but cant have everything. overall great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012