Durham Castle
  • Pool
US$123
  • Pool
US$251
The Honest Lawyer Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$68
Hotels.com
US$133
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$65
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$94
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$98
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$58
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
PremierInn.com
All reviewsstudent accommodationguided tourfree tourharry potterpalace greenduring term timeflights of stairsamazing locationuniversity collegeprince bishopsno lifttwin roomreception stafffour poster bedfollowing morningyogurthogwarts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I really enjoyed our one night's stay despite the 108 steps up to our room in the Keep. (it's a castle what do you expect). The views over the city and green were well worth the climb. This is student accomodation in term time (lucky students). We had a twin room which was comfortable, quiet, cosy and warm with an ensuite wet room. It was all spotlessly clean. The coffee and tea tray was well stocked with Fairtrade products. Breakfast was in the main hall and is self-service with a huge variety of cereals, pastries, breads and cooked foods - lovely. The staff in Porters lodge and reception were very helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: You can usually opt for rooms closer to the ground, but most of the castle was taken by guests for a wedding when we were there.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Amazing, breath-taking, fantastic... and comfortable! I stayed in a single with shared bathroom. The room was larger than I was expecting, and had a sink, desk, and armchair. It was very clean and comfortable, and quiet, and I had a view of the cathedral through the window. The shared facilities were clean and well maintained, as you would expect in a place that serves as University accomodation throughout the term.

My room was in the keep, and up several flights of stairs, which only added to the Hogwarts-esk experience for me. However I would advise anyone who has mobility issues to check with the castle staff before hand about a ground floor or first floor room if available.

Breakfast was served in the Great Hall, again very Hogwarts. The food was great - plentiful, fresh, hot, and the filter coffee was fantastic.

The staff at the Castle were very helpful, even offering to carry my bag for me. I was able to park on the Palace Green outside the castle, which solved any transportation issues I might otherwise have had. The only negative to the entire stay was I was unable to contact staff for directions to the Castle as the number I had been provided was for Events Durham and not the Castle itself; however this was more a reflection on the website I booked through rather than the castle itself.

I highly recommend doing a Castle Tour (free with your accomodation) as the guide was very knowledgable on the Castle and its history, and took me to places I hadn't seen during my overnight stay. The Castle itself is spectacular, particularly when lit-up over night.

All in all, it was a fabulous stay, and I would highly recommend it... even if you are not a Potter fan! My only regret is that I only booked one night. Word to the wise - make sure you check dates as the Castle is only open to B&B guests outside of term-time.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, I advise ringing the Castle to see if they have any ground-floor or first-floor rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Roslyn C
Reviewed 25 February 2013

A fantastic place to stay! I stayed in a budget single with shared facilities - the room was clean and comfortable, and the shared bathroom facilities were huge and modern (amazing water pressure in the showers). The place is still very much a castle - huge wooden doors, stone hallways, and high ceilings. Breakfast in the great hall is fantastic, and being able to wander around the courtyard before it's open to the public feels very special. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Guests staying at the castle are entitled to a free guided tour as well.

It's a perfect base to explore the town - the spectacular Durham Cathedral is right outside your door, and it's a short downhill walk into the town centre.

Room Tip: Be sure to mention when booking if you have any mobility issues, as there are a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank PropMonkey
Reviewed 25 January 2013

As residents of the city, we have always wanted to stay in the Castle since moving here some years ago and we are so pleased that we finally did it!! We had a wonderful, one night stay in the Bishops Suite. Although the room is large with high ceilings and decorated with tapestries and antique furniture, it was very cosy, comfortable and had modern facilities. It's alternative accommodation and not like a regular hotel as it doesn't have 24 hour reception (although the porter in the Gatehouse is on hand if need be), there is no room service or evening meals and there was no literature on Durham (which obviously didn't bother us!). This, we felt only added to the experience as you can get that service in any other hotel. We arrived just after dark and we wandered around the Castle and it's corridors which was very eerie but magical! The students were not in residence so there were only 4 rooms in the whole Castle which were occupied. Once again, adding to the experience. Breakfast served in the Great Hall rounded off a perfect weekend. I would throughly recommend staying here and have done so to our neighbours!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dora007
Reviewed 21 December 2012

This place is well worth a stay, admittedly no TV, iffy mobile phone reception, no wireless internet and no minibar but do you really need these in such surroundings. The room was clean and comfortable, staff friendly and helpful, breakfasts as substantial as you want. I only had an ordinary room, possibly the higher cost and quality rooms offer much better accommodation but for location, proximity to the cathedral and in the heart of the city, you will struggle to find somewhere better.
PS You will need to be able to climb stairs as many of the rooms are only accessible with a climb.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo