Durham Castle
US$108
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$93
The Honest Lawyer Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Bowburn Hall(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$58
Priceline
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$94
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$54
Priceline
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham East Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstudent accommodationguided tourfree tourharry potterpalace greenduring term timeflights of stairsamazing locationuniversity collegeprince bishopsno lifttwin roomreception stafffour poster bedfollowing morningyogurthogwarts
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a night in Durham Castle when we went to see the Lindisfarne Gospels and are very pleased we did. From the start the young man on reception was very friendly and helpful, he offered to carry our luggage when he took us to our room in the keep. The room was very clean with plenty of fluffy white towels and good quality toiletries, also there are tea/coffee facilities, all fairtrade including some delicious sultana and cherry cookies and a choice of teas and decaf coffee, the shower room was small but adequate.
In the evening the bar is open and it is very reasonably priced, definitely student rates for everyone. The breakfast buffet is served in the splendid Great Hall and there was a very good choice of cereals, fresh fruit and yoghurt and of course the full cooked English as well, eat as much as you like, and proper filter coffee. We thought it was excellent value, £92 for a double en-suite with breakfast and a free tour of the Castle, (normally £5 each) We will definitely stay in the castle again.
The only downside is the Cathedral bells ringing through the night, every 1/4 hour but you are warned of this beforehand so know what to expect, I'm a light sleeper so it may not disturb everyone The place definitely deserves 10 out of 10 for everything.

3  Thank calpequeen52
Reviewed 19 August 2013

A beautiful setting for a wedding. A lovely venue full of history. Staff very polite and helpful. Stayed in a keep room, these are obviously restricted in size as it is an historical building! Clean and tidy; en-suite shower room OK - shower lacked pressure. Beautiful view out of windows into courtyard of castle. Breakfast nice - served in The Great Hall - very Hogwarts! I think this is a gem and good value for money considering its location. Would definitely stay here again if visiting north east. Many steep stairs to climb to get to your room - but adds to the fun of being in the castle - staff more than willing to help with bags. Parking restricted and a relative walk to castle, but worth it and would not put me off another visit.

Room Tip: If you have any kind of mobility issue ensure you book a lower ground room, stairs to rooms are steep.
1  Thank Emerald1SteelCity
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My fiancé and I have just arrived home from a wonderful weekend break at Durham castle. The situation of the castle is absolutely breathtaking and the views from our window were staggering. The reception staff were all eager to help and very friendly and the breakfast offerings were brilliant (including a vegetarian option for myself) We stayed in a double en suite room at the very top of the castle keep and whilst there were a LOT of stairs to get there the view more than compensated for it. I would highly recommend the castle hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Durham and will definitely be making the trip back myself in the near future.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem for you make sure you request a room on the lower levels of the castle.
1  Thank Lillie S
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My daughter and I stayed 1 night in the Castle Keep during a 10-day tour of the UK. First the downside: There is no porter service so whatever you need for the night you have to drag across the green, through the cobble-stone courtyard and up 3 or 4 flights of stairs. Then you have to park your car a few blocks away. Since we were just there for 1 night, we left our suitcases in the car and just took in what we needed for one night. Also, the rooms are typical student dorms, so they are comfortable and functional but there are few amenities. But the experience of sleeping in the castle was well worth the inconvenience. We were greeted in the most friendly manner by both the gate attendant and the reception attendant. From our room we could see the top of Durham Cathedral and the Castle courtyard. We were free to look around the Castle (my second favorite castle in the UK after Stirling Castle) and in the morning we were served breakfast in the Great Hall. And the Castle is centrally located within the city of Durham, so all the shops and restaurants are within easy walking distance. We loved Durham and Durham Castle. I'm not sure I'd want to stay for more than a couple of nights, but both the price and the experience were exceptional.

Room Tip: Ask for the Castle Keep
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank IzNoz
Reviewed 7 August 2013

2 nights B&B in Durham Castle, next door to the University Library, opposite the Cathedral and only a short walk down cobbled hill into city centre for about £70!. In terms of situation this really cannot be beaten but its only available during University holidays. My room was a single with shared bathroom-shared the sense that there were 3 new showers & toilets - so no problem and all immaculate. Modernised room was high up in the Tower, with thick walls (no next room noise), simple (it is student accommodation) spotlessly clean & provided with tea/coffee making facilities, snacks & toiletries. Plenty of storage space, power points and cleaned daily- I've stayed in much worse at 3 times the cost. All staff are friendly and incredibly helpful. Note of warning: my room at top of tower meant climbing several long steep flights of stairs... Several times a day- not for anyone with knee/hip problems! Suggest checking this when booking.
Breakfast in original Great Hall is self service and includes a choice of pretty much everything you could want, all freshly prepared in oldest working kitchen in UK! All fantastic value for money and a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Be aware of steep stairs to top floors.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo