“Super B&B & real ales”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Victoria Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durham
The Victoria Inn
Ranked #3 of 39 Durham B&B and Inns
Longniddry, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Super B&B & real ales”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

As a lover of real ales, we decided to stay in a pub for a change & we could not have made a better choice, the room was clean & everything we wanted, the cooked breakfast was super, cereal, fruit & home made jams. Michael the owner couldn't have been nicer, made us so welcome & the real ales were 1st class, it was a charming pub & an added bonus, it was close to the town & Cathedral.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 114ChrisF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Spent 5 nights here June 2014 and so thankful for a comfy bed; lots of pillows; darkening drapes; a large bathroom, tub & basin, good lighting, nice linens; excellent bedside lighting; nice clothes storage area larger than the average; easy to access - presented no problems for me. The two ladies that provide cleaning & food service were warm, friendly & happy to accommodate needs. I so appreciated the banter & good humor from them. Michael the owner was friendly & said "make yourself to home" which I did take literally. The bar man kindly provided ice for me. Sadly I did not 'use' the pub as I would have in previous years. The rate was reasonable except the exchange rate is brutal to $US. The only aspect I had not counted on was the street noise which may not bother others.

It seemed to me that to get an evening meal (any food after 4:30pm) was sorely missing. I did not eat well in Durham.

Room Tip: Depending on your ability to sleep through noise...I'd not choose a road facing room again.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Redsgirl2
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Great location, oldie-worldie charm and all the mod cons you need.
Linens are top quality, good TV, good bathrooms and bath products. Lovely decor and draperies -- even in breakfast room -- really top quality. Friendly cook and her sister, the housekeeper, spunky and interesting landlady/bar manager, incredible bar, friendly locals. It really is a good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Frances405
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Reasonable value, standard B&B experience. Has the advantage of being easily walkable to city centre. We had a room over the bar, and facing the main road, but were not disturbed at all, since it's a residential street. Bed was comfy with quality linen. 2 things impressed about the breakfast. It was served red hot. Every imaginable condiment was branded, and some of the preserves were home made. We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arty26
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Well it really doesn't get more authentic that staying above a pub. We drank the night away with the locals and crawled up to our clean spacious room. It was large & the bathroom was huge. My only regret was not staying longer!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdomingham, Alabama, USA
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently stopped at this establishment for a two night break with my Mom and Dad and must say I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and comfortable it was. I absolutely love historic places and places with a bit of history so my Dad had booked this B & B because of its location close to Durham and also because of the history of building.

Their website said that this was a family run Victorian Inn with a traditional friendly atmosphere where you will find open fires and they are quite correct. It was lovely on the Saturday evening to go into the “sitting room” to find a lovely decorated room with lots of pictures and ornaments supporting a roaring coal fire. The room was very authentically decorated in a Victorian flavour – dark but cosy.

The bedrooms we occupied were all tastefully decorated with matching bed covers and throws – what a lovely touch. The rooms were not overly spacious but there gave ample room to move around without tripping over things. The only comment\criticism I had with my room was in relation to the bathroom – the Proprietors had provided a bath with an over shower but to get in and out safely proved slightly difficult largely because of the location of the shower screen and toilet and it would have been helpful to have a rail to hold on to and a non slip bath mat provided.

It would of also being nice to have tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms rather than (a) having to ask for them or (b) going to use the equipment\stores provided in the breakfast room, which is downstairs. I am not sure why this is not a standard feature as there is plenty of room for it to be put in.

I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone reading this review and friends and family and will definitely be visiting again if I ever go to Durham.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mandy066
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Had 3 nights here midweek. Bed was comfy, bedroom was a decent size, didn't have to squeeze past furniture. The website said there was tea/coffee making facilities, what it didn't say was that you had to go downstairs for it - that is, until our 2nd night there we were told you had to ask for a tray and it was there straight away. Breakfast was lovely, enough to keep you going for a long time. Our first night we found noisy- people talking in the bar, that's fine except it went on till 1 am. The rest of the week was quiet once the pub shut. We were in a room facing the road but didn't find it noisy at all, surprisingly. Only five minutes walk from town, a brilliant place to stop at.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple