“Avoid at all Costs”

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Stockton Heath, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all Costs”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I had the misfortune to be booked into the Hallgarth Manor for business as everywhere else within a 37 mile radius was fully booked... on arrival it become apparant why. I was greeted by two receptionists, one who was perfectly polite and the other possibly the rudest member of staff at a hotel that I have ever dealt with, who seemed to think I was putting her out by simply asking to check in.

As I made my way to my room, the range of smells that hit me was unbelievable - ranging from strange to what was unmistakibly urine. The room was dirty - there were stains in the bath and thick dust on the skirting boards. The bed was the most uncomfortable I have slept in for a long time and also had what looked like blood stains on the covers.

I would usually have complained, but I decided against having to deal with the rude staff and go into the town centre instead (I didn't dare try the food...though from the other reviews it seems like this may be the hotel's saving grace) and return only when absolutely necessary to sleep.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Dan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Right now i am sitting on the bed in the Hallgarth Manor Hotel, the reason i am still in it, is because everywhere else is full. I am hoping i can make it through the night without slashing my wrists.
Not only is it a dank dull despressing hotel, with very poor facilities, but the receptionist is no better. To start i thought i had a nice flat screen 3D TV, but it turns out it is just an awful reception and double picture. Damp running down the wall, but the worse bit is, that inside the awful bathroom, there is no shower( a bare minimum now days i think), when i mentioned this to the receptionist she asked me if i had requested a room with a shower,( oops my fault as i did not) if you intend to stay here as a last resort, please remember to request a room with a shower. While you are requesting your shower you may as well request a bed just to be on the safe side. The range of smells is also quite wide, rangeing from urine to death with no pleasent smells in between. In the room there is a notice to say that if you smoke in your room ( i am a non smoker) that you will be charged £150 cleaning bill. Never thought i would say this, but i would rather have the smell of stale cigerettes than the smell that is in my room. Now for the good news, i know i will not be sharing a room with any spiders or cockroaches, because as they are free to go where they like I know they will not come to this hotel.

Room Tip: Just do not stay here, not even if on a budget.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank adrianjoss

Travellers are raving about these Durham hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We stayed here last night and for one night only - Am I glad!
Luckily we didnt spend much time in the hotel but when we did it wasnt the best experience. Customer service here does not exist.
I dont expect alot from a 3* b&b but i do at least expect a comfy bed. One without produding springs and pancake pillows. The room we was put in was more than just a little tired more close to death. The carpets throught the building are worn and very tired along with the decor.
Staff - well firestly apart from check in when there was one woman on recpetion im not sure there are many anymore!
Breakfast was charged at £8.50 pp, which usually is a good hearty breakfast with all the bagamashings! However upon entering the dining room for breakfast apart from a few dirty tables with dirty plates etc stacked on them was some more guests which helpfully just told us to sit down and await some service with a raise of the brow!! Eventually when a memeber of staff had realised we were there our order was taken. Thats after the conversation in the kitchen had finished which was available for us all to hear.
The breakfast was flat to say the least. Hash browns were solid and empty obviously straight from the freezer and cooked far too long and of poor quality along with the toast which was served which was as thin as and tasted like cardboard. Not verymuch was eaten and likewise other diners seemed to have the same problem.
This hotel lacks in service and most deffinately quality. Luckily our room was cheap (breakfast wasnt) and this was bareable for one night but this hotel is deffinately not worth its nightly advertised trarif.
I wouldnt recommened this hotel even with cheap tarifs. And as for being used as a wedding venue hmmmmm!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Theroux1
scotland
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The receptionist was the most obnoxious, rude, ill mannered person on the planet.The waitress was just weird!!! Tired lobby, nothing like the pictures on website.Smelly attic room that was decorated in the seventies with fablon. wood effect on door.Dire brown frayed blanket.A complete waste of money, would have preferred to sleep in my car.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ScotlandMazda5
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2011

we orignally booked in for 1 night , but extended our stay to 3 nights. We had a lovely room on the 1st floor overlooking the gardens witha nice bathroom. I must say that we had a lovely stay from the moment we arrived to the moment we left and found all the staff great. We ate on 2 nights and the food was obviuosly freshly cooked ( dont forget to try Joans white chocolate cheesecake !!!!) .

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank martin2440
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My husband and i booked the hallgarth manor on account of it being handy to book at short notice. When we arrived the snotty receptionist informed us our double room that we had booked was now a twin room and we could simply push the beds together. Oh thanks. We then went into our bedroom and it smelt of damp/old people. There were stains on the carpets and we only had one towel between us, i then went to ask for more towels from reception and the same receptionist told me some would be brought up immediately. Four hours later we recieved a bath towel and a face cloth. We then decided to eat in the restaurant, however we had not booked and the same woman told us we would have to settle for a bar meal. We went to the bar and were greeted by a lovely red headed barmaid who then offered to serve us our meal in the restaurant. The food was good, not great but the service was brilliant. Only us two in the restaurant however it was cosy and we were well attended to.

In conclusion:
horrendous receptionist.
disgusting smelly room.
in dire need of refurbishment.
good food, not brilliant
lovely waitress/good manners and serving.

What i liked best: leaving
What i disliked most: receptionist

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank karencoyle
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Shabby without any chic
Tired and worn and in places unsafe carpets
Dirty rooms
Some staff excellent others downright rude
Event meal exceptional service good staff pleasant
In hotel restauraunt dire at breakfast time

Room Tip: Attend any event but stay at Premier Inn 2 mls
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family