We stayed here for a friend's wedding, so can only judge it from that perspective.
The reception team were nothing short of helpful and polite, from initial enquiry to check-out, and are to be commended for their helpfulness. We needed an earlier check-in as the wedding ceremony was before usual check-in time (2pm) and they made sure ours was the first room available, ensuring a comfortable day for us without having to rush about.
We had great weather too, which always helps present the hotel in it's best light. The grounds are well-maintained with numerous borders and flowers and so presented a great backdrop for the wedding pictures. Access to the Cathedral Suite function area is external only which could be a problem if the weather is not kind, but we didn't have a problem with it.
The hotel staff were always considerate and ready with a smile, including the bar and waiting teams, and our stay represented good value for a decent sized room with shower-room off. If you're wanting a square, soulless box to stay in, go elsewhere; these are genuine rooms with character that reflect the age of the building and we have to accept the certain foibles that sometimes a bit of age brings. Everything in our room was clean, the bed was incredibly comfortable and my only slight criticism was that the wardrobe had but two hangers in it, not really enough for a double room.
The price included for breakfast which was efficient if unremarkable; why do ALL the hotels I ever stay in have toasters that take longer to brown a piece of bread than it would to cook the suasages and bacon?!
A very good hotel, excellent staff and just what you'd want for a stay in the country.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hallgarth Manor is a traditional English country house hotel situated just 3 miles from the historic city of Durham in the northeast of England. This former 16th-century estate, set in spectacular grounds and gardens, has been discreetly modernised to retain many of its original features. Noted for the excellence of its food, the comfort of its accommodation and the quality of its many facilities, Hallgarth Manor is a real favourite for customers looking for conferences, business meetings, wedding celebrations and leisure breaks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Hallgarth Manor Country Hotel & restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hallgarth Manor Country Hotel And Restaurant
- Hallgarth Manor Country Durham