“Delicious food and attentive service”
Review of Restaurant DH1

Restaurant DH1
Ranked #18 of 312 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$23 - US$64
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The restaurant occupies Farnley Tower’s lower floor and can seat around 22 diners. We offer fine dining at an affordable price, in cosy, friendly surroundings. At Restaurant DH1 we are proud of the food that we serve and the service which we provide and we aim to offer our customers a special dining experience every time that they visit. We hope to help create some memorable evenings for each and every one of our guests, whether they are spending time with family, friends or loved ones.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Delicious food and attentive service”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

After a visit to Durham for my partners birthday we wanted to eat somewhere special. We we're enticed by the taster menu at DH1 and impressed with the price. Numerous places we have looked at before are far more expensive and therefore we arrived open minded. We were greeted with a warm welcome and had a glass of prosecco outside before being taken to our table. Being a food lover, I was impressed by the balance of flavours, presentation and attentive service throughout. This was by far the best food experience I have had. It was a lovely touch when the chef wrote a personalised "happy birthday' message on the final course and came out to see if we had enjoyed our meal. It was clear the owners were both humble and passionate about the food and service they delivered and keen to hear feedback. I would have certainly paid much more for the taster menu and just hope I can get a table here on my next visit to Durham.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food, fantastic experience.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this place. The service was spot on and our every need was attended to in a friendly manner. Although this is fine dining, it is not stuffy or uptight and you are treated well but also made to feel comfortable.
We started the evening on the terrace outside with a glass of prosecco and some 'snacks', which were actually a couple of light but really tasty amuse bouche/canapés. We went inside to eat and had the tasting menu, which is incredible value for money at £50 for 7 courses and £45 for vegetarians. Every single course was delicious and very well executed, with just the right amount of experimentation. The final course of the aerated chocolate is absolutely amazing and, although I was stuffed by this point, I ate every morsel on the plate - it is a fantastic finale.
Because they didn't have the bottle in that I had chosen, I had to have the house Sauvignon Blanc and it was a great bottle at only £19.50. I always think that a place can be judged by the wine they choose to have as their 'house' as I believe it should represent them.
There are a handful of other places that I have eaten at that are as good as this and we had a fabulous evening overall. All I can hope is that plenty of people find out about this place to make it a success as it is hidden away. Definitely try it out.

London, United Kingdom
“Wow”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

One of the best meals we have ever had. Absolutely delicious, first class creative food. Lovely touch to have the extra 'tasters'. We will be back.

2 Thank CoDurham2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing food! ”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Went for our anniversary last night - the food was just AMAZING! Haven't had food like that for a very long time! Thanks chef

Durham
“Excellent ****** first class Durham restaurant”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our first vist to DH1 and it will not be our last.

First class service from start to finish with food to match.

A small nicely decorated room.

We have eaten in many Durham restaurants and this is now number one.

Great value and I wish the owners all the best for the future.