“Fine dining as it should be.”
Review of Restaurant DH1

Restaurant DH1
Ranked #13 of 304 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$23 - US$64
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The restaurant occupies Farnley Tower’s lower floor and can seat around 22 diners. We offer fine dining at an affordable price, in cosy, friendly surroundings. At Restaurant DH1 we are proud of the food that we serve and the service which we provide and we aim to offer our customers a special dining experience every time that they visit. We hope to help create some memorable evenings for each and every one of our guests, whether they are spending time with family, friends or loved ones.
“Fine dining as it should be.”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Excellent service. Food absolutely delicious and well presented. Lovely surroundings. Overall most definitely 5 star.

• Visited August 2014

“Amazing from start to finish!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Its rare that i book to visit somewhere on the recommendations of trip advisor alone but when i decided to eat out in durham and saw this place i had to give it a go. Booked for my husbands birthday and was a surprise for him. We were both completely blown away by the food.
We had the tasting menu and i would recommend this to anyone as you get to sample lots of the treats coming out of the kitchen. The oysters, belly pork and chocolate with salted caramel sauce were amazing and all courses were put together with care and attention to detail.
Its a lovely atmosphere and there is no rush as the evening is an eating experience rather than a meal. Am so pleased we tried here and will definitely return. They have set the standard for us and i think we would struggle to find better food in the north east!

3 Thank Lucy C
Stockport, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent all round”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Passing through Durham we hadn't booked but had no difficulty getting a table [on a Thursday in July]. Can't understand why this isn't full every night though it is still fairly new I suppose. The service and food were of excellent "fine dining" quality with a good selection of wines by the glass at reasonable prices. We wish the young owners every success.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lynda408
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Delicious food and attentive service”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

After a visit to Durham for my partners birthday we wanted to eat somewhere special. We we're enticed by the taster menu at DH1 and impressed with the price. Numerous places we have looked at before are far more expensive and therefore we arrived open minded. We were greeted with a warm welcome and had a glass of prosecco outside before being taken to our table. Being a food lover, I was impressed by the balance of flavours, presentation and attentive service throughout. This was by far the best food experience I have had. It was a lovely touch when the chef wrote a personalised "happy birthday' message on the final course and came out to see if we had enjoyed our meal. It was clear the owners were both humble and passionate about the food and service they delivered and keen to hear feedback. I would have certainly paid much more for the taster menu and just hope I can get a table here on my next visit to Durham.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food, fantastic experience.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this place. The service was spot on and our every need was attended to in a friendly manner. Although this is fine dining, it is not stuffy or uptight and you are treated well but also made to feel comfortable.
We started the evening on the terrace outside with a glass of prosecco and some 'snacks', which were actually a couple of light but really tasty amuse bouche/canapés. We went inside to eat and had the tasting menu, which is incredible value for money at £50 for 7 courses and £45 for vegetarians. Every single course was delicious and very well executed, with just the right amount of experimentation. The final course of the aerated chocolate is absolutely amazing and, although I was stuffed by this point, I ate every morsel on the plate - it is a fantastic finale.
Because they didn't have the bottle in that I had chosen, I had to have the house Sauvignon Blanc and it was a great bottle at only £19.50. I always think that a place can be judged by the wine they choose to have as their 'house' as I believe it should represent them.
There are a handful of other places that I have eaten at that are as good as this and we had a fabulous evening overall. All I can hope is that plenty of people find out about this place to make it a success as it is hidden away. Definitely try it out.