“Really a friendly place”

Bannatyne Hotel Durham
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Gibraltar
“Really a friendly place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

This is a budget hotel, the rooms are all the same and the decor was designed in an office and I am sure is identical in every branch of the chain. However, it is a really really nice place to stay. The Staff are friendly and helpful (the receptionists go that extra bit further to make you welcome). The health club and spa is a joy and what makes it so much better (along with the staff) than the similarly priced Premier Inn down the road. Given you can walk in less than five minutes to the Premier Inn so if you really want pub grub you can buy it there why would you not use this hotel? Its clean, the health club is great with pool etc, the restaurant in the Health Club has a somewhat limited menu and by the end of my week stay I was getting a bit bored, but then its a cafe bar in a health club so you would not expect more.

Everything about my stay was great, and I will be returning between Xmas and New Year. This time I may have my kids staying with me for a night and when I rang to check if that was ok the staff were friendly and helpful suggesting ways to accomodate them. I can't fault this hotel at all. The only major gripe is that the Bannatyne's website never seems to have availability, so just use Expedia/lastminute etc, had I known that I'd have been staying here about two years before I actually did.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JacksonFernandes
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Dear JacksonFernandes,

Thank you for your very positive review about your stay in the Durham Hotel and I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the full range of facilities on offer, including complimentary use of the Health Club.

I have discussed your comments about the "availability" showing on our website booking page with the Company IT department as we are always looking to make improvements where we can.

I hope you enjoy your next stay when you are back at the Hotel.

Colin MacGillivray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

We booked this hotel, mainly for the leisure facilities, for a few days when visiting Durham and as it was close to Christmas picked it for the nearness to the Park & Ride and could not fault it. However we did not need the Park & Ride as we were told buses pass the end of the road every 10 minutes into Durham which takes just 5-10 minutes! The hotel itself is very clean and welcoming, and the staff were absolutely brilliant! Everyone was so helpful, knowledgeable and cheerful and nothing seemed too much trouble - they are a credit to the hotel. We did not use the gym but did use the pool, sauna etc after a long day's sightseeing and they are excellent - again very clean and very relaxing!
The room itself was smallish but the bed was very comfortable and had everything you needed and they were more than generous with the tea and coffee facilities - plenty of everything rather than just 1 or 2 teabags and coffees! Very impressive.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear Sheila H,

Thank you for your positive comments in relation your recent stay at our Durham Hotel and I am delighted that you enjoyed it. Hopefully you are able to use the Health Club, which is complimentary for Hotel guests, on your next visit.

I have passed the comments to relevant employees and I hope you are able to stay with us again soon.

Oxford, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I paid £45 per night, so perhaps I shouldn't have expected too much...and I certainly didn't get it! No fridge, no safe, no toiletries, no telephone, no room service. No lounge for guests, only a few chairs and some vending machines in Reception. It feels like an airport transit lounge! Yes, there was a kingsize bed but the duvet was so thin that I was cold even after asking for a second duvet to put on top. The brown velvet 'throw' was simply for decoration not a blanket! The room was heated by a switch-on electric heater. The carpet was filthy, the loo didn't flush properly, the sink didn't drain away well. The hotel was full, so changing rooms was not an option. There is plenty of parking, because the hotel is not in the centre, it's half an hour's walk away or a £6 taxi ride or local bus. The only local feature is a retail park. If you want breakfast, you have to walk across the car park to the fitness centre cafe, where apart from the cooked breakfast or baked beans, you can buy a 'porridge snack' in a plastic pot, toast with plastic packets of jam or a range of pre-packaged snacks - it's all pretty grim and over-priced. I had emailed to ask if we could check in at 12 rather than 3pm but nobody replied. The plus points for some guests are the fitness centre and pool, the easy access to the motorway and the free wi-fi. But for me the negative points far outweighed these few positives. It just felt sad and slightly shabby.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Twofootplus,

Thank you for your recent comments about the Durham hotel. As a Company we take all comments seriously to allow us to help improve the facility.

I am sorry that you feel the £45 you paid for your room did not offer you good value for money and it is disappointing that the room did not meet your expectations. We take customer service and cleanliness seriously and from the majority of other comments posted we have a strong reputation for delivering on these areas.

I also apologise that you did not receive a reply in relation to checking in early and I will discuss this with the appropriate employees. We are normally good at replying to all queries. I have also inspected the rooms and taken appropriate action where required to ensure they all meet our high standards.

I hope you are able to stay with us again so that we can demonstrate improvements.

Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We paid £50 for a double room on Friday night - it didn't include breakfast but this can be bought very cheaply at the health centre next door. We chose to go into Durham early for breakfast - the centre is only a mile away and cost us £6 in a taxi on the evening. The hotel receptionist was lovely - very friendly and helpful - and the hotel was clean with good tea/coffee making facilities. We had a diusabled room (although didn't book one) so had loads of room with a huge walk in shower. The use of the health centre was a real bonus - we could swim/sauna etc for free. All in all, not luxurious but great value and very friendly staff!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear Helenh13Leeds

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am very happy to read that you thought that the Receptionist was very friendly and helpful and that you thought that the Hotel cleanliness was to a high standard. As you have pointed out all guests receive complimentary use of the Health Clubs facilities and we believe this offers fantastic added value.

On your next visit why not try the Health Clubs breakfast option which is also of great value.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

Being a member of Bannatynes in my home town I decided to give this hotel a go. For £50 for a double room on a Friday night, I found this hotel to be good value for money.

Rooms are of a good size, very clean and have everything you need, king size bed, tea & coffee making facilities, flat screen plasma tv and en-suite bathroom with shower. You also get full use of the Bannatynes leisure club, which is straight across from the hotel and has a gym, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi etc.

Breakfast and dinner are available in the leisure club, but I cannot comment on these, as I ate in town for both.

Check in/out was the only things that bothered me. I wasn't asked how my stay was on departure, and the girl barely made eye contact with me (or other guests) and never cracked a smile on check in or check out.

It is worth noting that the hotel is a couple of miles out of the town centre, but is easy to reach by bus or taxi if you do not have your own car with you.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear SATreveller07

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel, Durham.

I will discuss your points regarding checking in and out with the receptionist concerned. I was very surprised to read this as we usually receive positive customer service reports from our guests regarding how helpful and friendly the reception team are.

If you stay with us again why not try a meal from our menu at the Health Club which offers great value for money.

I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed here when taking our son to University. 2 rooms for £120 at a busy period was great value. The rooms were clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities, very good bathrooms, loads of parking and friendly reception staff.
Breakfast is available in the adjoining leisure centre. For a short stay where you are not wanting to walk into town or have beautiful views, it was very good value for money and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the car park side so that you are away from the A1. We had no traffic noise at all...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear Beverley D712,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Bannatyne Hotel, during your recent visit to Durham and for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you thought the rooms were of great value, especially during a busy period and that you enjoyed a very good breakfast in the Health Club.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have just stayed at this hotel for one night with my wife, and were very impressed with the accomodation. The room was very clean and very well decorated. The bathroom and shower were superb. We enjoyed a very comfortable nights sleep with a lovely quality bed. We could have had access to the nearby leisure facility, which we visited but did not use. We were booked in by Angela who was very helpful and the other two girls were also very polite and accomodating. We travelled into Durham City by taxi (£6) or there was the Park and Ride for £2 return. We had a lovely night socialising in Durham City and never had any problems.
This hotel is superb value for money. We did not have breakfast but it can be purchased within the leisure facility if required.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 which is on the groundfloor at the end of the corridor and looks out onto the ma...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AYoung65
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear A Young 65

Thank you for posting your recent review and for the positive comments in regards to your stay. I will pass these comments onto the rest of the team.

I am very pleased to read that you thought the Hotel offered superb value for money. On your next visit why not try the complimentary use of the Health Clubs facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.