“Hotel with health club facilities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bannatyne Hotel Durham

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bannatyne Hotel Durham
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Hull, United Kingdom
“Hotel with health club facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a two night stay at. Bannatynes . We wanted something offering value and comfort so that we could visit nearby Chester le Street for the Ashes test. We got exactly that! Lovely clean and modern rooms and access to the adjoining health club. We had lovely meals, served by friendly staff. The hotel receptionists were all very helpful. Julie booked us a taxi to take us to the ground. Thank you to Galaxy taxis! If I have any criticisms it would be to warn would be visitors of the local roadworks which will send the sat nav lady into meltdown. Also some more instructions to switch the tv on as the plug is well hidden at the back of the wall mounted set. All in all we had a really nice time and would certainly think of booking again .

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear twitcherjune,

Thank you for providing such positive feedback regarding your stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham whilst enjoying the Ashes test.

I am really pleased to read that you found the Hotel was exactly what you were looking for and that you also enjoyed the Health Clubs Café Bar facilities.

I hope to see you again soon

Matthew Emery
Resort Manager - Durham Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

The hotel was clean and had everything we needed. It only lacks atmosphere and charm. The restaurant is not in the hotel, but in the cafeteria of the next door gym. We expected it to taste like airplane food, but it was surprisingly good. All in all, it's a perfect place for a one night stop over. And I will agree with other reviewers, avoid room 1.

Room Tip: higher room numbers will be away from the car park and the front door.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear FannyB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I am pleased that you found the Hotel clean and that it provided everything that you needed for your one nights stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Colchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel with a group for one night only. Because of road works the hotel would have been difficult to get to without prior instructions. So beware.
The hotel was very clean, and check in went smoothly the young girl on the front desk knew her job. I was on the second floor room 48 which did face onto the A1 M which made it very noisy if the windows were open, the only downside to the room was there is no aircon. but after speaking to reception I was given a fan. The hotel is as it says is part of a spa which I did not use, but we had to go from the hotel about 25 yards to eat our meals.
I must say the evening meal was good but I do not think they are geared up for coach parties we had to wait a long time for the meal.
Breakfast in the morning was the same can not fault the staff but there were some organisational problems.
Would I return its debatable as I was the coach driver with the guests so I did not make any arrangements.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night with windows open get a room facing entrance.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank escort
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear escort,

Thank you for staying at Bannatyne Hotel Durham recently and taking the time to post your positive comments. I am glad you felt the Hotel was clean and that the service you received was good.

It was also pleasing to read that you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast in the Health Club and I take on board your comments about the time for service, however, when a large number of guests order meals at the same time a small delay is hard to avoid.

I do hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

Kind regards

Colin MacGillivray
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

A very pleasant surprise - a hotel that turns out to be much better than expected.
Excellent value for money, good room, helpful staff, and we thoroughly enjoyed our swim in the pool.
Definitely worth a return visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Paul D,
Thank you for your positive comment about your recent stay at Bannatyne’s Hotel in Durham. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel and Health club and that the staff and facilities surpassed your expectations.

I hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

Kind regards
Colin MacGillivray
Regional Manager
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

This hotel was very good value for money. Modern and clean with helpful staff. One note of caution. We stayed in room 1 which is on the ground floor by the front door. It was noisy with people coming and going and affected sleep which was a shame.

Room Tip: Dont choose room 1.
Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Bigtallscotsman ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent review of Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I was pleased to read that you found the Hotel to be very good value for money, modern, and clean with helpful staff.

I am sorry to read your comment regarding room 1. On your next visit why not book direct with the Hotel and request an alternative room.

I look forward to seeing you again soon

northeast, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We arrived mid morning (well before check in time) and spoke to the receptionist who told us it was fine to leave car and rang us a taxi to go into Durham. We returned later in the afternoon and were given our room. The room was excellent, really clean and the bed comfy. We went to the health centre which is free for guests to use and found the facilities really good. This hotel is well worth the money (£58 on trivago) and would use it again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear and1967,

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I am pleased to read that you found your room to be excellent, really clean and that your bed was comfy.

When visiting Durham in the future why not book the Hotel direct by using the Bannatyne website, you could find a cheaper rate.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed with family Sat 6th July in a family room, sleeping 2 in a queen size double plus two singles for kids. Initially thought it might all go wrong as, having booked the day before and left mobile number and prepaid by credit card, we couldn't be found in the system. However, on check-in, the wonderful Alison soon discovered that our name had been spelled wrongly and we were in!

Family room was clean, modern and spacious -plenty of room for us all. One of the singles was made up from the sofa, with a very firm wooden base which might not suit everyone; the other was a metal framed folding bed which was just as good as any single bed, despite being described as a "z-bed". Very nice clean, modern bathroom (not sure why there were sticky tape marks on the seat but no big deal.) with soap/ shampoo dispensers. I would rate this room better than the usual Premier Inn etc fare.

Alison on reception was the most welcoming and cheerful person I've ever met in a hotel and just who we needed to look after us after a long hot day travelling. She even changed the flickering light bulb in our ceiling when we reported it!

Staying here entitles you to use of the gymn and pool facilities in the health centre across the car park, which we spent our evening in. Sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are all at pool side, staff are friendly and welcoming. Lovely big fluffy towels are provided free from hotel reception.

Eating alone I didn't expect much from the cafe/bar/restaurant but they must actually have a kitchen and a proper cook because the menu was very inviting for my dinner. I chose the special: chicken breast with tomato and mozzarella with potato wedges, for £7.50 I think and it was really nice when it came, cooked fresh I'll swear. The seating area is a comfortable, spacious area with mainly dining/cafe tables but sofas by the big telly at the end. Kitchen closes at 9pm after which there's a KFC in the big retail park nearby.

Once kids were in bed my wife and I sat in the hotel lounge watching telly. Gary the night porter was friendly and attentive, showing us how to work the tv remote and the tea & coffee machine.

Older reviews are out of date as the cafe does excellent breakfasts, including cooked food, cereals and toast. I had a ham and cheese omelette with toast, wife had scrambled eggs with beans and toast, kids had sausages and fried eggs i think. Nice coffee too. Four of us ate for £20.

Hotel/centre isn't very well sign-posted so make sure you have a good map or written directions. Locals don't seem to know it even exists if you ask for directions! There's a Sainsbury "Local" about a mile away on the road back into Durham if you need provisions.

No aircon and a hotel a bit close to motorway so a bit noisy with open windows but nothing major. We still got a good night's sleep. Our family room is on corner nearest the motorway but other travellers might be able to ask for rooms further away.

All in all, when next in county Durham, I don't see why we would stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Think of asking for a room away from the motorway side if it's a hot night and you might need wi...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Slippery-Jim
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear Slippery-Jim

I was delighted to read your detailed account of your recent stay with us and I am so pleased that you would choose to stay with us again.

Alison was thrilled to read that you found her to be the most welcoming and cheerful person that you have ever met working in a Hotel.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the wet-side facilities in the Health Club and that you found the complimentary use of the big fluffy towels worth a mention.

The Café Bar cooks all food fresh whilst you wait and is very reasonably priced. We do offer specials and they vary from day to day so I am glad to read that you enjoyed your meal.

Again thank you for your favorable comments and I look forward to your next visit.