“Poor service”

Bannatyne Hotel Durham
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Durham
“Poor service”
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on Friday 20th September. Check-in was good, room was clean although a bit tatty. Everything was fine until the water went off at about 11pm. My husband, along with other customers went down to enquire and the staff told him there was nothing he could do. The hotel was packed as it was Durham Uni open day next day.
The guy on reception said he could not call a plumber because of the time of night and the cost involved. Eventually it emerged it was the whole of that area of Durham, out of the hotel's control. Fair enough. My husband went down again to fetch a half bottle of water from the car. There was a machine selling water in reception which was empty. The staff did not provide any bottled water, despite the fact that they told us the water would be off until morning. No drinks, no wTer for brushing teeth, no showers, no help from staff. Most inhospitable. I Tweeted Duncan Bannatyne directly and instead of asking questions or apologising, he argued with me: "my staff have told me that they did this!!"
What can I say? We went down twice and were given no water. We were given paper with the head office address on the following morning, along with everyone else who was busy complaining.
It's not the water outage that is the problem, it's the fact that the staff felt incapable of taking any action to alleviate the situation without permission; be that calling a plumber or giving free bottled water. Similarly, Bannatyne's knee-jerk denial without even asking a follow up question shows a lamentable lack of interest in his customers. I've not used this brand before and I won't be using it again. It may be cheap but it's certainly not cheerful.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank BJDoherty
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear BJDoherty,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

The Hotel did suffer from having no water late Friday evening and early Saturday morning. This was an issue for most of Durham due to a burst water pipe, and I apologise for any inconvenience this caused you.

I would dispute that an employee would refuse to call out a plumber because of the costs involved. We have a contract in place which would enable us to get emergency attendance at the site for any equipment issue in the Hotel. This incident was as a result of an issue outwith the control of the Hotel.

I also dispute your point that we did not offer water to guests. After investigating the matter I have found that the Hotel team dealt with the issue in line with Company policy with efficiently in view of the nature of the incident. Firstly the Night Porter established the problem by checking with the water board, finding out as much information as he could. He then transferred this information to all guests checking in and to those who asked at Reception. He then emptied the water vending machine and offered bottled water to all guests that requested water. Additional larger containers of water were also purchased the next morning for guests. I also asked for all guests to be advised of the showering facilities available at the Resorts Health Club.

We have received comment cards from other guests that stayed with us over this period stating that they had enjoyed their stay and that the staff dealt with the incident positively.

Matthew Emery
Resort Manager - Durham Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay, were impressed with the friendly & helpful staff both in the Hotel and the Spa restaurant.
The room was clean and serviced every day of our four day stay. The bathroom was well appointed with shower & soap dispenser and first class quality towels.
The free parking and the nearby local bus services were most useful as driving in Durham city is awkward.
The proximity to the motorway was useful.
We had no need to use the fitness centre apart from the restuant

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear JessRobCath,

Thank you for your positive review further to your recent stay at our Durham Hotel. I hope you are able to stay with us again, when you can hopefully take advantage of the Health Club facilities.

I will pass your positive comments to the appropriate employees as they will be delighted with the feedback.

richierichworld
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Location: Durham
Parking: free and plenty of spaces

I have compared Bannatyne Hotel with Premier Inn and Travelodge. There may be other budget hotels which aren't widely spread across the country and therefore not in the consideration.

My visit to Bannatynes Durham allowed me to experience their quality and service level for a week. The check-in was straight forward without much delay. I was told about free wifi and free access to the gym for the duration of the stay. My room for the next 5 days on the 2nd floor and in the corner of the building with not much of a view. On entry the room looked slightly dark, due to the natural light being blocked by the trees. It had the standard furniture as one would expect in a budgetary hotel. The room looked clean and well presented, the bathroom was well equipped with modern toilet and shower. It had enough towels and toiletries to last the week.

However, venturing further then the bathroom the room had a sofa which had dust marks on it and that was off putting more overly it made me more weary about my surroundings. Furthermore, there was some floss sticks lying around, the bed had some more dust on it and it looked that the carpets weren't vacuumed properly. The room came with complimentary drinks ( coffees milk and teas). Having seen the spot of untidiness throughout the room I wanted to see what else was missed or not cleaned. I accept that sometimes the kettle can have scale but that's reasonable however having dirty kettle top is definitely not something the hotel's house keeping should have missed because psychologically it makes one think that the kettle will be dirty from inside. If the kettle was clean from outside I don't think I would have checked it from inside.

The room's tv was faulty too, the sound and the picture would go off automatically and I had to switch it off after an hour to reset the TV, after a day or so it can be annoying. The bed was comfortable and the pillows well they weren't comfortable but they weren't bad either. The walls had stains on them next to the bin and in the entrance.

This review would not have been this detailed had I not experienced the shortcomings I would easily have overlooked these flaws. However, if your in the hotel business and competing to have repeat guests then the hotel definitely needs to get its basic right. As such, I am of the opinion that it doesn't give you value one would expect.

Having considered the issues I faced for the room cleanliness, equipment's (tv & kettle) maintenance and general upkeep of the room I'll give them 3 out of 10 (below average).

Nevertheless, it's staff were excellent, they were friendly and very helpful. I asked one of them if they had a room with natural light and front facing, I was shown the available room however it was not to my liking so I didn't take it up. It gives you full and free access to wifi so that was handy. The hotel also benefits from free access to the Bannatynes gym which is an added bonus if you have had a long day at work.

Overall my room being next to the motorway it was bit noisy had I opened the window for some fresh air, it needs to clean its act up if it wants to be having repeat business.

Bannatynes definitely has potential to be a top competitor to the Premier Inn. However, at the moment it's inbetween Premier Inn and Travelodge and like I said before it needs to revitalise their strategy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank richierichworld
ManagementResponse02, Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Richierichworld,

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay at our Durham Hotel. I was delighted to read your positive comments about the interaction with our employees and the facilities available to you at the Resort including the opportunity to access and use the Health Club and our free Wi-Fi.

I was however, disappointed that you found some dust, a problem with the TV and the issue with the kettle.

I have instructed for all of these issues to be resolved with immediate effect. We have a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene at the hotel and most guests are very positive about this during their time with us. I am sorry that your experience was below that standard.

I will also inspect the TV, which will be replaced if required, and consider the need for redecoration of the room. We have a process of on-going improvement in the hotel to ensure that the rooms are presented in a good state of repair.

Despite this I am delighted to see that you have re-booked with us and I hope that you notice improvements during your next visit.

Southwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Plus points – low cost, particularly if you book early. Clean rooms (although the corridor was slightly smelly). Good car parking. Friendly staff. Free use of gym and pool next door.
The not so good bits. Noise from the busy road at the back and from other rooms. Very basic looking bar/restaurant area (at the next door gym) with little atmosphere. Rooms to hot. Tables in the bar area were sticky on one occasion. The scrambled egg for breakfast was plentiful but tasteless (powered egg?) and the bacon was very salty.
Would have been 3 stars but I gave it 4 as I enjoyed a nice swim and sauna. I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the upper rooms in summer as they are even hotter than the too hot downstairs rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Little John Sherwood,

Thank you for your positive comment about your stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham recently, I am especially happy to read about the good customer service and good facilities.

In relation to your other points, when have deep cleaned the corridors since your visit and they are currently very clean. I would also like to confirm that the scrambled egg is not powdered and made to order using real eggs, and the Bacon is no different to normal which is enjoyed by many other guests.

Thank you for the 4 star rating, and we look forward to seeing you again.

cumbria
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Hotel very clean, comfortable; well cared for;staff helpful; parking easy;bar, cafe and breakfast in squash club all very good; frequent and convenient bus service to Durham.
BUT look at the map.The A1M and a main feeder road are both within earshot as is the loading bay for B&Q. The large and loud boiler outside didn't help. Double glazing is first class and cuts out the racket but there is no air con. With temperatures in the 20s we had a choice - boil or be deafened. Either way very little sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are possibly quieter. Avoid room 29 and warm weather!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Cumbria Tan,

Thank you for your recent positive review about the Hotel and Health Club facilities that you enjoyed when you stayed with us.

I am sorry if you were disturbed by any traffic noise and the recent warm weather.
I hope you are able to stay with us again in the future.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The good things: location - good, on a quick and easy bus route to the city centre with buses every ten minutes and till late at night. Plenty of free parking. Nice clean modern rooms. Friendly welcome from staff. Price - £55 per room per night. Free wifi. Near A1 motorway but no traffic noise. Durham is lovely, so pretty! The markets are superb. All that accessible history, too!

The bad things: the very noisy extraction/ventilation system rumbled and vibrated intermittently all night long and I was awake from 2am. Every time I dozed off it started up again. Horrible. I went home exhausted. The bed was very soft and spongy - like a soggy trampoline. My husband has crumbling vertebrae and needs firm support or he gets a slipped disc. He slept on the sofa. (The Manager said he would look at getting other mattresses and offering choice). Lovely modern bathroom fixtures spoilt by the shower cabinet door opening on the other side of the controls - you you needed to be in it to turn it on and adjust - alternate scalding and freezing until just right. .... unless you have gorilla arms ... and the toilet flush was extremely hard to push to activate. The free wifi was one of the reasons I picked the hotel but the signal was too weak in the room we were in to work. I reported this at the reception and she said it would be sorted but of course it wasn't. We weren't offered another room.

I left detailed feedback and received a call from the manager a few days later.

If the main problems were sorted out and a firm bed available, then I would make a return visit.

Room Tip: Wifi signal too poor to work in room 39! Ask for one with good signal if you need it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear CdeCCumbria,
Thank you for staying at Durham Hotel, and for your positive comments about the location, friendly staff and clean modern rooms with Wi-Fi.
I will inspect the extraction fan in your room and ensure it is repaired if required. Please be aware that this can be isolated in each room with the switch on the wall. I will also check that the toilet flush is operating as it should. The free Wi-Fi service offers strong signals in each room so it is disappointing that it was not great on your visit. I have had this tested and at present it is working appropriately.
Thank you again for your comments.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The staff are immaculate and incredibly welcoming. When you've driven a long way it's a relief to be met by warm, friendly people. We were warned it might be hot in the room and were given a fan - which we didn't need to use (we spent the evening walking around Durham in the night air, after visiting the brilliant Lindesfarne Gospels exhibition at 9pm). We stayed in Room 26, which is on the first floor and backs onto trees. The room is vast, the bed had to be at least 6 ft, we were lost in it (!) and the bathroom very modern, with a very large shower. It's a wee bit out of Durham but we ordered a taxi from reception and it was very easy to grab a taxi back from the main square in Durham. We didn't know this place had a pool (we booked it very last minute online) but if we come back, we'll definitely stay here again & try the facilities.

Room Tip: Room 26 is very quiet and backs onto the trees - if you do open the windows, you will hear a bit of...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear SeagreenTangerine,

Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I am really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be immaculate and incredibly welcoming.

If you do choose to visit again why not check out the Bannatyne website which fully explains the facilities of the Resort. Or alternatively contact the Hotel direct.

Kind Regards