Bannatyne Hotel Durham
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$230
US$141
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$109
US$132
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$106
  • Bar/Lounge
Premier Inn Durham East Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$80
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
PremierInn.com
All reviewshealth clubcafe barhealth centregym facilitiesretail parkroad noiseswimming poolcity centrespa treatmentssteam roombudget hotelgood sizefamily roomexcellent value for moneystayed here for nightsreception staffwould stay again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Rooms clean and big, friendly staff. We were surprised with the amenities and size of the room for the price we paid for the rooms. There was 4 of us as we were dropping off my friends daughter at Durham Uni and we could still fit comfortably with the sofa bed opened. We had a car so moving around was not an issue. Close enough to Durham city center.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear hcsaw,

Thank you for posting such a positive review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I am delighted to read that you found that the staff were friendly and that you were very much enjoyed the amenities on offer.

When visiting Durham in the future I do hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We checked in on Friday 20th September 2013. I was impressed with the facilities but unfortunately not so with the reception staff following a loss of water in the area as a result of a burst main.
I went down to reception at 0730 to report no water in our room and was told the whole area was effected. With no washing facilities in the room I asked about the Health Club to be told it was also out and that there was a chance there would be no breakfast neither. I asked about bottled water to be told there was none. I bought the last bottle from the machine in reception - the staff member opened the machine and took my £1.
We decided ourselves to see if breakfast at least was available to be told by Health Club staff they had always had water because of a reserve tank. We could have had a shower but by the time we had breakfast which was slow to be served it was too late as we had a bus to catch.
When we arrived back later we saw there was indeed bottled water behind reception but this had not been arranged until after we had left for the day.
When it was evident that the water would not be back on by breakfast ALL guests should have been informed of this and told about wash facilities being available in the Health Suite. I feel for the poor cleaners who had to flush all the used toilets on their morning rounds

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael L

Dear Michael L

Thank you for posting your review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

Unfortunately on Friday 19th September the Hotel was affected by a local burst water main and we were unable to offer running water until lunch time the next day. This result was beyond our control but I am sorry if this effected your stay. As a result of the incident the Night Porter was instructed to offer bottled water to all residents that required it. The Resorts Health Club was available for washing and showering the next morning from 8am when it opened. Breakfast was served from this time also with no issues.

As you were initially impressed with the Resorts facilities when you checked-in I would hope that incident would not prevent you from choosing Bannatyne Hotel Durham when visiting the area in the future.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed over at Bannaytynes Hotel in Durham as me and the wife fancied a day/night out in the city. The room was clean, well furnished and very comfortable, basically everything you would want and more for the price that you pay.
The usage of the gym/leisure facilities was an added bonus, while the gym bar/ restaurant was also available for us to use and did a cracking breakfast as well.
All in all a great place to stay - slightly out of the city centre but only a cheap taxi ride away - and I will be returning in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Craig_smithson,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay with us whilst visiting Durham city.

I am really pleased to read that you and your wife found the Resort impressive and that you will be visiting the Hotel again soon.

We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

The main thing about any hotel is the ability to get a good night's sleep, where the Bannatyne was a major let down. Firstly there is the constant noise from the nearby bypass and A1, which seems to go on all night. Then there is the hot room which means leaving the window open to get a reasonable temperature, even on a September night. This was made worse by people talking loudly and smoking outside the front door till 2:00 in the morning, despite the notice about this being strictly forbidden. Finally the bed was too soft for my liking and I awoke feeling stiff and tired.

Room Tip: Front and back seem equally noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Stevenmorris,

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I am sorry to read that you did not have a good night's sleep as a result of the weather making the rooms warm, fans are available on request at Reception for those warm evenings. The mattresses available are good quality and are often commented on by regular users of the Hotel, but I am sorry if they are not to your preference. Guests who choose to smoke outside in the car park are requested to move away by the Night Porter so I do apologise if this was not the case on the night of your stay. I will discuss this matter with the team on the next training session. I have also checked the Hotel comment cards and cannot find any comments made at the time which would have allowed us to resolve any issues at the time of your stay.

Resort Manager – Durham Resort

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on Friday 20th September. Check-in was good, room was clean although a bit tatty. Everything was fine until the water went off at about 11pm. My husband, along with other customers went down to enquire and the staff told him there was nothing he could do. The hotel was packed as it was Durham Uni open day next day.
The guy on reception said he could not call a plumber because of the time of night and the cost involved. Eventually it emerged it was the whole of that area of Durham, out of the hotel's control. Fair enough. My husband went down again to fetch a half bottle of water from the car. There was a machine selling water in reception which was empty. The staff did not provide any bottled water, despite the fact that they told us the water would be off until morning. No drinks, no wTer for brushing teeth, no showers, no help from staff. Most inhospitable. I Tweeted Duncan Bannatyne directly and instead of asking questions or apologising, he argued with me: "my staff have told me that they did this!!"
What can I say? We went down twice and were given no water. We were given paper with the head office address on the following morning, along with everyone else who was busy complaining.
It's not the water outage that is the problem, it's the fact that the staff felt incapable of taking any action to alleviate the situation without permission; be that calling a plumber or giving free bottled water. Similarly, Bannatyne's knee-jerk denial without even asking a follow up question shows a lamentable lack of interest in his customers. I've not used this brand before and I won't be using it again. It may be cheap but it's certainly not cheerful.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BJDoherty
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear BJDoherty,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

The Hotel did suffer from having no water late Friday evening and early Saturday morning. This was an issue for most of Durham due to a burst water pipe, and I apologise for any inconvenience this caused you.

I would dispute that an employee would refuse to call out a plumber because of the costs involved. We have a contract in place which would enable us to get emergency attendance at the site for any equipment issue in the Hotel. This incident was as a result of an issue outwith the control of the Hotel.

I also dispute your point that we did not offer water to guests. After investigating the matter I have found that the Hotel team dealt with the issue in line with Company policy with efficiently in view of the nature of the incident. Firstly the Night Porter established the problem by checking with the water board, finding out as much information as he could. He then transferred this information to all guests checking in and to those who asked at Reception. He then emptied the water vending machine and offered bottled water to all guests that requested water. Additional larger containers of water were also purchased the next morning for guests. I also asked for all guests to be advised of the showering facilities available at the Resorts Health Club.

We have received comment cards from other guests that stayed with us over this period stating that they had enjoyed their stay and that the staff dealt with the incident positively.

Kind regards

Matthew Emery
Resort Manager - Durham Resort.