Bannatyne Hotel Durham
US$196
US$169
  • Pool
US$133
The Honest Lawyer Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$68
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$105
Travelocity
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewshealth clubcafe barhealth centregym facilitiesretail parkroad noiseswimming poolcity centrespa treatmentssteam roombudget hotelgood sizefamily roomexcellent value for moneystayed here for nightsreception staffwould stay again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I live relatively close to Durham however a group of friends were visiting from York so we booked this hotel.
The price initially attracted us and I knew it was close to the city centre and had the added bonus of being close to a retail park and Tesco for those last minute things you always forget to pack,
When I booked the hotel I didn't realise that you had free use of the health club facilities (gym, sauna, swimming pool) so that was a great bonus.
For those who have said its in the middle of nowhere this is wrong. Its a short walk from a retail park and a Tesco. There is a pub not too far from the hotel on the way to the A690 if you want to eat not to mention it is 5 minutes away from the centre of Durham.
I do not know anywhere else that offers spacious modern rooms in a quiet surrounding area so you are not disturbed during the night with traffic/outside noise, that you are within easy reach of a beautiful historical city such as Durham and have access to a swimming pool/sauna and gym all included in the price. Especially when it is £50.00 a night!
If you are visiting Durham this is a great choice. Taxi cost us £4.50 into Durham and £6.30 back (after midnight)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank HellzBellz2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear HellzBellz,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review regarding your recent visit to Bannatyne Hotel Durham in which you and your group of friends enjoyed the Resorts facilities.

I am happy to learn that you found the Hotel to be good value for money and that you were pleasantly pleased to find that the Health Clubs facilities were included in the price and as a local resident that you have pointed out the benefits of booking a Hotel in such a great location.

I really appreciate your support in promoting the Hotel as a great choice stay.

Matthew Emery
Resort Manager – Durham Resort.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel is modern and pleasant, not too big and located about a mile and a half from the centre of Durham. We made good use of the pool and spa facilities at the adjoining Bannatyne's gym, which is all included in the price. You can borrow towels from the reception. There is also a café bar in the gym, which offered quite reasonably priced breakfasts. The only downside was the temperature - even leaving all the windows open all day, the room was still far too hot to get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: The hotel backs on to a main road, so rooms at the front are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear darphilp,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I am pleased that you found the resort to offer, “excellent value for money” and that you took advantage of the complimentary use of the Health Club and all of its facilities.

I am sorry that you found your room to be too warm after leaving your window open all day. We do have fans available for all guests which can be obtained from the reception area at any time, free of charge.

I hope to see you again soon.

Resort Manager - Durham Resort

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were on the way back to London and stayed there en route. It's in the middle of an industrial estate. There's a gym which is adequate, cafe which is ok. It's basically one of those places you stop by off the motorway because you have to.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear mowana,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel after stopping off on your return drive to London.

There are many people who chose to return to the Durham Hotel as repeat guests as we offer great value for money, with clean modern rooms and access to a fully equipped Health Club, including a fantastic range of fitness equipment, vibrant group exercise classes and a relaxing pool area with spa, steam room and sauna.

I do hope that when visiting the area again that you choose to stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham and take advantage of the full range of facilities on offer.

Resort Manager – Durham Resort

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Probably the cheapest hotel I've ever stayed in. I thought this may be reflected in the standard but was pleasantly surprised as it was excellent.
Room nice and quiet, very spacious, very clean, massive bed, nice sofa and a large screen TV.
We had no noise from the road at all. The walk to the Gym and breakfast room was about 1 minute away.
Staff were great, very polite and helpful especially Richard on reception.
The room was cleaned and well stocked up everyday. If you want to eat nearby we took a 10 minute walk to the Table -Table pub near the Premier Inn. They do a great breakfast too.
Considering you could have free use of the gym, pool etc and the price I paid, it was probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in.
thanks a lot Richard and Duncan! We'll be back.

Room Tip: Maybe in the summer if you want your window open at night, you could ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David K
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear DavidK

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I am really pleased to read that you were pleasantly surprised by the standard of the Hotel and its facilities.

Thank you also for mentioning the staff and how helpful they were. I am sure that Richard will be really happy learn of his mention.

Hope to see you again soon.

Matthew Emery
Resort Manager – Durham Resort.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

First the good:

We asked for a quiet room and were allocated a room overlooking the car park. This was appreciated as every time I woke up I could hear traffic from the very busy road on the other side of the hotel.

Staff are pleasant and helpful.

Wi-fi is free - wish this was the case everywhere.

We enjoyed dinner and breakfast at reasonable prices at the cafe in the nearby Health Club.

Rooms are quite spacious and include tea and coffee making facilities although housekeeping never left us any tea or coffee for which reception apologised. Hot drinks are available in reception however.

Bad points

Carpets were very stained in the hallway and particularly around the bathroom area in our room. Kept shoes on to go to the bathroom.

The plug in our washbasin didn't keep in the water.

The sofa in our room had a cigarette burn and was stained.

Pillows are flat and the bed felt like a water bed to sleep on although this is a personal thing.

This is a good budget option for Durham with easy access by car and bus and with more investment could be really good.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep ask for a room away from the A1.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Flowerlady64,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, and that we offered good value for money.

I am pleased to read your positive comments about our employees, the spacious rooms, free Wi-Fi and complimentary access to the Health Club where you enjoyed breakfast and dinner. I will ensure these are passed on to relevant departments.

I also appreciate hearing about ways that we can improve. All rooms are subject to a regular check to ensure that they meet the required standard for cleanliness, decoration and for working fixtures and fittings. I will ensure that the room you stayed in is checked thoroughly and that any required improvements are made with immediate effect.

I hope that you are able to stay with us again.

Kind regards