“Perfect Location in Durham”

Castle View Guest House
Ranked #4 of 39 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We visited Durham in September and spent three nights at the Castle View. What a great B&B! The rooms and bathrooms were exceptional in spaciousness and decor. Being within a hundred yards or so of Framwellgate bridge it is in an ideal location for walking the city. Parking spaces are available on the street out front with passes available from Anne the owner. Breakfasts were very good. I would highly recommend a visit next door to St. Margrets Church which has beautiful stained glass windows and furnishings. I would not hesitate to visit the Castle View again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Okiepeach
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Hi Okiepeach !
Thank you so much for you lovely comments.
You really seemed to enjoy your three night stay soaking up the medieval environs of our beautiful city.
We have many really nice guests and I am happy to say that you are amongst them.
Maybe you could come again - I would like to think so.
Best wishes
Anne

There are newer reviews for Castle View Guest House

Reviewed 17 September 2013

My friend and I are seniors and were delighted that they had a room of the ground floor. Furthermore it was large and nicely decorated, There is a lovely garden with places to sit and enjoy it. The location is great close to shopping, restaurants, the river, and the bridge that takes you across and up the hill to the cathedral and castle area. I think most people could do the walk, but there is a bus that will take you up and the stop is about a block from the Guest House. There is a pleasant breakfast room and the breakfast was very good. The Guest House is easy to find, if you look up and realize that Crossgate street has 2 levels and the Guest House is on the upper level. There is parking on the street, but there is also parking lots near by. We got lost, not thinking that the upper part of the street was Crossgate but we called the Guest House and they guided us in. Durham is an interesting city and worth more than the one day we had. I would highly recommend this Guest House.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank marjpanek
Reviewed 14 September 2013

fabulously comfortable beds. it was like sleeping in a cloud. ideal location in a very pretty town, walking distance directly to the town centre, but also close to a rambling path down to river and woods. fabulously friendly and helpful staff. the breakfast was lovely too. highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kim W
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We were only looking for a comfortable bed when we arrived in Durham late at night befuddled by a long day of driving and tourism. We somehow magically arrived at Crossgate without benefit of map, GPS or cell phone and found parking on the doorstep of the Castle View Guest house. We had called ahead from dining at the Tower Restaurant (Excellent!) in Alnwick, but forgot the directions for late arrival. Borrowed a phone in the popular, convivial neighborhood pub across the street to find the key and our way to that bed. We were pleased that morning to find a delightful individually prepared breakfast, and an even more charming hostess. We enjoyed a quick tour of the neighboring St. Margaret’s Church, parts constructed in the 12th century. While we could have easily walked to the cathedral and castle, the City of Durham has recently made daytime parking by permit only. Our hostess offered us a parking pass, but we decided to park in the municipal lot.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eric_Paeonian
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thanks for your review.
I notice that when you graciously awarded your stars you only gave 4 for cleanliness.
I wonder perhaps whether you realise that this is not a light hearted game. Any aspersions on our standard of cleanliness is extremely serious to us.
You wrote in our visitor book that everything was perfect but did not alert staff about any cleanliness problems. If there was a problem you owe it to us to inform us at the time.
We think that you simply pressed the buttons without thinking about the consequences as it is so easy to do - after all what is it to you ?

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Finally got to stay in this very special B&B I first heard about years ago and have been recommending to people for a long time. Everything about it is superior - from the discreet front door with only the house name "Castle View" to the lovely welcome from Anne and the very tasteful decor throughout. It was clean and comfortable, well equipped too. The garden was very pretty in the weekend sunshine. The breakfast was very tasty, just a shame we didn't allow ourselves enough time to really enjoy it. Will certainly carry on recommending this guest house to anyone who plans a visit to Durham.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Off-for-the-weekend
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Wow,a B&B doesn't do this place justice,more like boutique hotel. The bed was very comfortable and the en-suite was immaculately clean and looked very new. Bath robes in the wardrobes as you would find in any 5 star hotel and large fluffy towels. Then there was breakfast! Maybe a tad too early finishing 9am /9.30am on a weekend but what a lovely spread;you certainly don't leave hungry.
That just leaves me to thank Anne and her staff(especially David who saw us in) for a lovely welcome and stay in their beautiful house.

Room Tip: All rooms bar one have kingsize beds.Room 4 was lovely with a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laureen28_12
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I just got back from Durham, I stayed at Castle View which my friend had booked for me. This was a really great place to stay. Its view as its name suggests is incredible, this in my opinion is one of the country's most beautiful cities and there is no better position to see it from than this guest house, it's in a perfect location, everything is within short walking distnance. I received a very warm welcome, they were really friendly and helpful. Lovely spacious room, imaculately clean bathroom. I had a great night's sleep on probably the most comfortable mattress I can remember sleeping on. Amazing breakfast as well, I would definitely recommend it and the next time I'm in Durham I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends