“Good seat placement is vital!”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #112 of 305 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$10 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Durham, United Kingdom
“Good seat placement is vital!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Food was perfect - just like any other restaurant.
Service was just as good as other Pizza Expresses

However we were sat in the back half of the room (Maybe because we said we had a buggy) Which despite the fact our child was asleep the whole evening we were surrounded by load screaming families as well as being right in front of the kitchen having the Chefs shouting "service" ever two seconds. You'd think a bell would be a better idea?

It was very noisy for most of the evening not ideal for a 21st Birthday meal out.

I've sat closer to the front of the restaurant before and it's darker, a little more intimate and very nice away from all the noise. Will definitely return but be sure to have better seats next time.

Yorkshire Uk
“Worst Pizza Express we have been to”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I should have read the reviews before deciding to eat here but I just expected it would be the same standard as other Pizza Express restaurants we have eaten in. It was really noisy as it was full of families with young children which is to be expected on a lunch time in the school holidays but tbe sound seemed to echo round the room making it difficult to have a conversation. The tables were very close together making it feel crowded and cramped. The food was up to standard but it is not a restaurant I would want to revisit.

Matlock, United Kingdom
“OK but not a particular credit to a good chain”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

It is a treat for us to eat out at Pizza Express, one of the few places the family can eat and all feel they have done more than re-fuel. So we planned to come here when visiting Durham and were pleased to see that it was one of their 'characterful' traditional locations. However inside it felt a little bit weird and not 'loved'. No flowers at the tables and a little bit like a city centre pub.

One thing I don't really like about the chain is all the discounting - I'd prefer slightly lower prices generally rather than fuss. For once thought I had a code - this one was for 25% off food on specified times and dates, which we fitted into without problem. I noticed in the conditions that it said you had to alert your server to the code when you placed your order and the waitress spent a long time poring over it, which was embarrassing. A simpler system would mean that staff would know what offers were in operation. As it turned out, no record was made of the discount so all of this was wasted time. My husband asked for his usual toppings swap and was told "I'll have to charge you in full for that" in tones that were again rather cringe making although it was in line with the (strange) conditions of the offer which we knew but good to make sure that customers know.

I had the new pizza that comes without cheese which was good - except that it didn't have chestnuts on as described and because communicating with the waitress had already been quite a struggle (language difficulties and I don't think she was very familiar with the menu) I didn't alert her to this, it would only have caused an awkward delay to remedy.

There was a better vibe when it came to dessert and we had a change of waitress, and the failure to apply the discount was dealt with smoothly. I'd been surprised when we went in that it wasn't busier but maybe people are going elsewhere. Tt was not the quality of experience we'd usually expect in a Pizza Express and not the relaxing treat we'd hoped for.

York, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A dump of a place but great service and good food.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Food was great as it usually is and service is great with very helpful and polite staff. This was our first visit to the Durham restaurant and we were very suprised to see how shabby the place is. It is in dire need of a face lift. The walls are filthy with grease marks at waist height, plaster is hanging off rhe walls in numerous areas, the decor is appauling, cobwebs all over the place and it looked as though the chefs have had a passata fight prior to our arrival as it was splashed all over the wall next to our table. It is a shame and a bit of a let down that the chain allow their image to be tarnished by such a scruffy greasy caff type of establishment!

1 Thank dsmcgoo
London
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Your expectations are not high when you visit a pizza express. This one used to be really good. Tonight, however it was not good. The whole restaurant is filthy. The circular marble table we were sitting at had a huge chunk missing. For heavens sake just throw it out. If you can't be bothered just email me and I will take it to the tip for you. When you go downstairs to the toilets there are pieces of plaster hanging off the walls where people have banged their chairs against the walls. The staircase is full of rubbish...ie Hoover, cleaning materials....probably seldom used, toilet rolls and old furniture. The whole building is desperately in need of a serious refurbishment. The foreign staff were great but the local female girl could not care less. Come on Mr Manager, do your job and sort this place out. I won't be visiting again in a hurry which is a shame because I used to like it.

Visited July 2014