“my medium steak bled all over my salad”
Review of Hide Cafe Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“my medium steak bled all over my salad”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

went there today, and looked forward to my lunch. I ordered rump steak, medium to well, and a glass of Pinot Grigio Rose. The wine arrived first but was white, it was exchanged graciously (after about 10 minutes) and I waited another ten to fifteen minutes for my steak - it looked OK, but I soon discovered that the waiter had misheard my request for a medium to well done steak and ordered a medium rare - big difference.

The service was courteous, and other diners seemed happy with their meals, but alas, I won't be returning.

• Visited June 2012

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Best meal in Durham”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Definetly the best food in Durham, good menu range as well as very nice cocktails! Really good service, Valentine's menu was excellent, have been a few times and consistently enjoyed it. Definetly the place to eat in Durham. Not cheap but worth the money

• Visited June 2012
Gibraltar
“It's ok, helpful staff”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This place is ok, I've been on several occassions, but I really wouldnt rant about it. The last time I went it was very busy and but the staff were very helpful and made space for us, on a night when the University combined with a festival to make Durham the busiest place in the world. We were happy with the food which was workmanliek but uninspiring. This place sells to its audience and it does that well but I would not seek it out especially.

• Visited October 2011
Jarrow
“OK”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Small portions with a quite expensive price tag. Not much choice for vegetarians. Food OK

• Visited June 2011
Darlington , UK
“Why bother!”
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

have been a few times to Hide, whilst food is nice variable service. staff don't want to be there and hence service is slow to on medium. Have tried to have breakfast a few times, but varying opening times. I stood outside once and the staff could see me there but didn't ever come to open up. heckled when they were supposed to be open but this was never the case. The last straw is that on the week end they said had ran out of food and weren't serving!
Absolutely terrible! Once told the fridge had broke and not serving.
Won't be good there ever again! Can't be relied on!