“Great food, poor service”
Review of Venture

Venture
Ranked #56 of 414 Restaurants in Wigan
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I love the food at this place but cannot stand the service. Even if there are not many people at the pub, you end up waiting ages to be able to order and pay for your food at the till. The staff are not exactly friendly, this is what stops me from going more often. However, their steak is excellent and the price is not bad either.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We ate here midweek recently and found a table relatively easy, which is not always our experience when we have been in at weekends.
The menu has enough choice of the usual pub grub - steaks, chicken, lamb, burgers, curry, fish etc. and is reasonably priced with a separate menu for children. There are also some huge "Challenge" type meals for fans of "Man v Food"!
We had nachos to share which was a large portion with plenty of toppings then a decent steak which was cooked as ordered and a tasty chicken dish. Both mains were served on a hot skillet but the one small criticism is that the porcelain half of the skillet was cold so the accompanying veg, chips etc. went cold too quickly.
There is a very good range of drinks at a reasonable price and some lovely wines, especially the red "Barefoot", which was very palatable.
We have eaten in here a number of times recently, and have to say that the service has been consistently very good, which is a great achievement considering how busy this pub always seems to be!
We will definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

In the past I'd heard some terrible stories about this place and despite the fact it looks quite nice on the outside I was told by locals not to Venture in to the Venture! LOL! Anyway about a year ago I went to meet my friend in there for a few drinks to catch up and I was a bit sceptic. I was not planning to stay long and was not planning to eat anything however it seemed quite a cosy, friendly place and my friend and I were chatting away not realising we had been there so long so we end up ordering food! much to my surprise the food was actually quite nice for the cheap price of it! The drinks were good value too! Long story short, we end up staying in the Venture all day through to the night! All the staff were pleasant and friendly! There was a male vocalist on that evening too and we had such a ball! The place was packed out and people were all having a really good time! After this I decided to take my partner in there on our way home from work for our tea and again I was a little sceptical however the food came fast and was quite nice! Service was actually very excellent for a place like this! The bill was very good too! Anyway since then my partner and I have made a regular thing of popping in to the venture on our way home from work to get a quick (peaceful) meal together before we go and pick our two adorable toddler girls up from nursery! and every single time we have been in we always get the most friendly, helpful staff ever! fast service, good food and not have to pay too much for it! Its become a little gem for us has this place... Certainly It will do for me!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

staff are absolutely inconsiderate, they was sat on end table of row that we were eating on screaming and shouting at each other like 2year olds when we complained they wasn't bothered, manager came over asking if everything was ok n when we tried explaining the problems she was so arrogant that I walked out. no attempt or sign of an apology from anyone DISGUSTING SERVICE AND ATTITUDE ALL ROUND

2  Thank cjennings14
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Visited here today with my wife and three young children...the place was very busy but we were made to feel welcome by the friendly staff and the food was hot and fresh and very good value for money...