“Terrible and managers counter comments are defensive”

Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Wigan
Reviewed 6 November 2013

No room safe which is a big minus.....Don't get a room near lift as it rumble through your room when operating. Limited menu. A variation would be nice even lasagne, pizza or bolognaise would be nice. Staff at breakfast are ok except for the foreign ones who are dead pan faced.

I don't think my review will make any difference as the responses are always 'we not had that problem before' or 'no one has reported that'!!!! quite defensive.

Room Tip: stay well away from lift
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HalMyers
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us – unfortunately there is a unavoidable degree of noise that can be heard from the rooms closest to the lift, however we only allocate these rooms during extremely busy periods and have recently had the lift transmission fully upgraded to keep any noise to a minimum.

With reference to your comments regarding the food, we have now introduced an extended lounge menu, available from 10.00am until 9.00pm each night, as well as our a la carte menu. This gives our guests much more option and flexibility for dining.

All guests comments are extremely important to us and so I thank you for your review and I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Reviewed 1 November 2013

After staying here I tried to have a meal in the restaraunt and I regret it, firstly ordered mussels and they where like eating bullets so they where promptly sent back then I said I would replace them with the roast beef you would think that would be a safe choice but oh-no the beef was tough as boots and grey in colour I gave up after that and went into town and had a far more pleasant meal.
Waiting staff where unhelpful and at times bewildered why I questioned the food standard so not impressed at all with the standards offered at this hotel

Room Tip: Book somewhere else !
1  Thank leengill

I was extremely disappointed and somewhat shocked to read your comments regarding your stay with us, particurly as we normally receive a high volume of very positive comments regarding the food and service.

Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your meal and I can assure you that this is, in no way, a reflection of the standards we offer. I have, of course, brought your matter to the attention of my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager who have taken the appropriate action.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed at the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel for one night whilst visiting Wigan for business.

The location is good. It takes around 10mins to walk there from Wigan North Western station and it is around a 5min walk to the town centre, which is full of bars and restaurants.

The hotel is nice enough. Friendly staff, nice size rooms and a good value restaurant (just shy of £20 for a three course meal).

My only problem with the rooms is that the walls and ceilings are paper thin, meaning you can literally hear everything going on in the rooms next to and above you, which can be quite irritating.

Overall it is a great value hotel that has nice rooms, good dinner and breakfast but a slightly noisy atmosphere. I would probably stay here again, but not for more than 2 nights!

1  Thank Neel A
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I was pleased to read that, overall, you enjoyed your stay and would stay with us again in the future.

If you would prefer to dine in a quieter location on your next visit, there is the option of the lounge area or Douglas Suite if this is more preferable.

I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed last week, firstly was asked to book a table for dinner as it was 'extremely busy' booked for 7.30. It was extremely quiet!! ( 9 people in total). Something went bang against the outer wall on a regular basis, all evening and all night, (4th floor). Food was mediocre, microwaved belly pork is 'interesting' to say the least. Breakfast was lukewarm. Staff very stand offish almost surly.

Room Tip: away from the kitchen or road
1  Thank scarletwoman50

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and have brought your comments to all departments.

We are investigating the noise you mentioned, to determine what it was and I apologise for the disturbance this caused. Your comments regarding the Breakfast staff were rather unexpected as we receive many positiive comments and constantly monitor and maintain the levels of service being offered.

With regards to your comments on the food, I can confirm that, at no time, do we microwave cook main courses.

I hope that your impression of the hotel has not been marred and that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Wigan Oak whilst visiting family in the area. Well located and close to the town centre, with a 24hr Tesco across the road. The hotel was clean and well appointed offering secure parking. Breakfast offered an excellent choice. The only downside was the lack of wifi access in the rooms (in fact no signal on the 4th floor) and the room keys kept resetting which meant a trek back to reception to get back in our rooms. Apart from that if you need a clean tidy hotel for your stay in Wigan then you'll be well satisfied with the Oak

Stayed: October 2013
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We were experiencing problems with our wi-fi, however this was due to a faulty transmitter which has now been rectified.

I apologise for the problem with your keycard and hope that this did not detract from the enjoyment of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I chose for this hotel after one of my friend recommended to stay in here. My stay here was for 02wks and have had a mixed experience.

1. First Impression : Heard that "first impression is always the best/last impression". I had this late check-in at around 10-11pm and I'd like to thank Mr. John (who was at the reception desk on that night) to make me a comfortable, hassle-free entry. Not only he helped me to get my luggage (3 suitcase) to my room on the top most floor, but also made sure that my room was full equipped with all necessities. After a 4hrs drive from Swindon, you expect a lot of rest and peace and Mr. John made sure of I'm having that with all his kind and prompt favors. ***** for that

2. Room - I had a some big expectations with the size of the room compared to what I've seen on this website. Was a bit disappointed when I first entered, but then later when I was settled, I started liking it. Extra lamps, bed lights, a comfortable working table, a cozy tea/coffee table with a cool arm-resting chair to an extra spacious double bed with cleaned linens, to a extra large bathroom; all in all I felt bad the day when I checked out. (Remember to take the rooms which aren't facing the roads. I had take the room which was facing the hotel's main entrance, and I had my every evening a sunny and serene!) ***** for that

3. Room Service - This is one of those "attributes" for which any product (in this case, Hotel) is known to it's patrons. As I mentioned I had booked after my friend recommended so I was already aware of the lows and highs and didn't had kept any sky hopes. The Room Service was just perfect, extra perfect. Bed sheets, bath linens, teabags, everything was kept so nicely, everyday and I'd like to appreciate the management and their team on this. I never had a chance to complain, for once :) ***** for that.

4. Food/Restaurant - I had gone through a lot of reviews where they complained about the delayness in gettin their food ordered. I guess I was lucky or may be I was handled by some of the nicest folks. 17 nights and 16 mornings, not once I felt that was lack of staff. The menu (for dinner) was quite good and I had tasted most of them. I'd like to thank one of the chef (a french beared tall guy), who always made sure that the food is as per what I was ordered. The only complaint was about the choice of breakfast. The options were very few. Especially for the one's who are vegetarians, there are literally no choice except mushrooms :(. Most of the food items (like the scrambled eggs) were too much dried out c'z of the choice of bulb/lights. Some parts were hot, and some were too cold. So goes for the dried tomatoes, bacons etc. You might want to relook into how you can adjust or rearrange these stuff. Apart from this, the bar guy, he was just awesome. I had some wittiest conversations with him with my pint :) *** for that

5. Cleanliness - my rating will speak - *****

6. My special mention about 3 wonderful people n nicest one's of your hotel - Mr. Dimitriz (neva lose him. he's your USP!), The Reservation Manager (a short lady), and one old guy, mostly during dinner time. All these people were very generous, extremely helpful and down to earth.

6. Few things which bothered me - more than thrice the alarms went off (it was loud, believe me it was way too loud!!!) that too at midnight and early morning. When i called up the desk, all they had to tell me was - sorry sir, it was from room number 101 and something happend in the bathroom. So what?? | I had opted for a full package, the room had a welcome letter which mentioned I was entitled for a complimentary pint, or 120ml of house wine or any choice of cold drink, but on the check-out day, I was charged for that as well. Paying wasn't a concern for me, but it's more of like "something already commited vs something what you get" | I had some tough time to deal with some of your people in the restro as they couldn't speak proper english neither they could understood me and they had to call someone who was a local to get my messages conveyed. Well in England, one don't expect that !! |

To conclude, I never regret spending my money and staying here. I loved my stay and will be here for sure (in Dec'13) for my next trip. I'd appreciate if you work on the things which needs improvement.

Thanks for treating me like my home :)

A Very Happy Customer (*****)

Room Tip: Choose a non-road facing rooms on top most floor, Try Thai Chicken Curry Rice, Chicken Salad, and of...
2  Thank ShijinG

Thank you very much for your review. We always welcome guest comments, so that we can monitor and maintain the standards and services that we are offering.

Your very constructive comments have been passed on to all departments and I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wigan
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Wigan
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club

Been to Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!