“Diamond in the rough”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Wigan
London, United Kingdom
“Diamond in the rough”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have a client who has moved to Wigan, and so I was in need of an overnight place to stay for a business trip. Firstly, I should get the negatives out of the way. I had decided to walk from Wigan Station to the hotel, but arriving on foot, I found that the two pedestrian entrances - one leading to the path by the canal, and one next to the car entrance were both locked. As someone with reduced mobility, I found it extremely inconvenient to have to step down into the road (no lowered kerb) to walk through the car gates to the hotel. I feel very sure that this is discriminatory to people more disabled than I.

I was therefore in a bad mood when I checked in. I wasn't expecting very much at all. However the room was extremely cosy and nice. I'm not sure why they need their Wifi system to be so complex (different codes per device etc) - it's completely unnecessary and ruins the customer experience.

What I really wanted to write about was the food. It was quite simply - exceptional. Genuinely one of the best meals I have ever had, and all the more surprising that it was in Wigan. I can particularly recommend the liver pate, and absolutely recommend the sticky toffee pudding, which was AMAZING.

I would come here again, although next time, I might use a taxi from the station.

Room Tip: Noisy elevator - Glad I didn't get one of the rooms next to it
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank L0nd0nMark
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I do apologise for the inconvenience that you experienced arriving at the hotel. For security reasons it is necessary to keep the gate adjacent to the public walkway locked and we have spoken to the local council regarding removing the sign, however it is unfortunately outside of our control as to when this will happen.
I was extremely pleased to read that you found your stay comfortable and enjoyable and would like to thank you especially for the comments regarding the food, which I have passed on to my Head Chef.
I am delighted that you will stay with us again and hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Surbiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Very good value hotel which was handy for the town centre. The hotel staff at the front desk and in the bar/restuarant were friendly and efficient. The room was spacious and well equiped. The bed was comfy and there weren't any noise problems.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff.

I hope that you will choose Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel for your next visit to the area.
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the mercure oak once again .It is very handy for all the shops restaurants and pubs The hotel was very clean .A comfortable bed and a good breakfast .the staff are friendly and helpful .when were back in Wigan we shall definitely book in again .

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your review. It is always pleasing to read when a guest has returned to the hotel and I am delighted that you chose us again for your visit. I have passed a copy of your review to all departments.

We look forward to seeing you again in 2014.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Have stayed in this hotel several times.
Good points. Rooms airy, clean and bright. Has mod cons in all rooms. Staff are helpful and pleasant.

Not so good points. Cooked breakfast was not that good this time. Food came out dry and hard, which was disappointed as their breakfast in the past have usually been pretty good.
Need more plugs in the rooms please.

Room Tip: Request room away from lifts...less noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SharonDEdinburgh
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your constructive comments. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy Breakfast, this is a very important aspect of a guest's stay and have discussed your review with my Head Chef.

I hope this has not deterred you from staying with us again and that we get the opportunity to welcome you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wigan
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Coaching Inn Hotel
Coaching Inn Hotel
#8 of 12 in Wigan

Been to Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!