“Not quite up to Mercure standard”

Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Wigan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for one night . Hotel location is good. Front counter is very friendly . Was shown to one room, hallway was very dark and smelt of cigarette which I'm very sensitive too as I suffer from asthma . They changed our room ,and we were given a really spacious clean room with king bed . Overall I would stay here again .

Room Tip: Close to everything
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your review and was pleased to read that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments regarding the smell of cigarette smoke on the corridor was of great concern. I have spoken to my Head Housekeeper regarding this, as we are a non-smoking hotel and we have introduced new methods to prevent this policy from being abused.
I was pleased to read your kind comments regarding the bedroom and, in particular, that you would stay with us again. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel for one night and found our stay rather disappointing. On arrival the car park was full of vans so parking was tight. Reception was okay and the staff were helpful. The bar area lacks character and warmth. Food prices are pretty steep for what they are and drinks are quite pricey, wines being particularly expensive. Our room was quite spacious but the lighting in the bathroom was poor. We also found a pair of socks left by the previous guest and a large screw on the carpet. House keeping had failed to do their job thoroughly. Our sleep quality was average, as other guests have commented; there is a busy room along side and a hospital nearby so expect sirens during the night. I don’t think we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silverfox468
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. I was sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We do try to keep our drinks prices in line with competitor hotels, but obviously cannot compete with bars and social clubs.
I do apologise for the problems you encountered in the bedroom and have spoken to my Head Housekeeper regarding this, as this is certainly not to our usual standards. With regards to your comments about external noise, we receive very few adverse comments regarding this as the nearby road quietens around 9.00pm and I am sure you can appreciate that we cannot be accountable for any noise from the surrounding area - the hospital you mentioned is actually situated more than a mile from the hotel.
I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and would be happy to personally ensure that this was as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
Bangor, N Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed a couple of nights at Mercure Oak while in Wigan on a training course as it was the closest hotel to where the course was taking place. Check in and out was smooth and straightforward, and the staff were friendly and welcoming. My room was warm, clean and tidy and I was able to get a good nights sleep. There is a bit of road noise if you are in a room at the front of the hotel but it isn't too intrusive and dies off around 10pm. Food in the restaurant was very good indeed, with plenty of choice on the menu, and Franco is a great host. Breakfast too was very good, enough to really set you up for the day. Just one thing to note - although the breakfast is a buffet there are only scrambled eggs on offer. Poached or fried eggs are made to order (it means they are fresh and not dried up from sitting under a heat lamp) but I only found out about this when I overheard another guest asking. Perhaps a small notice is needed at the breakfast bar? If you need anything else while you are here the town centre is only a couple of minutes away and there is a huge 24hr supermarket directly across the road from the hotel. For those who like a walk or a run there is a riverside path along the side of the supermarket which goes right up into the countryside. My colleague said the hotel doesn't have much atmosphere but this really isn't a problem as we were on business, not a holiday, and the restaurant and bar are both fine for a quiet meal or a few drinks. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PaulHFromCranley
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was very pleased to read that enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your very kind comments, particularly regarding the staff, which I have passed on to all departments.

I acknowledge your comments regarding the poached and fried eggs and we have ensured that guests signs are more visible in the restaurant area to avoid any delays. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

We had to move into a hotel as our house is being gutted so we stayed here for 4 nights, the room was nice, the staff where friendly and a special mention to the housekeeping team as I forgot to pack my electric toothbrush but they put it to one side for me, would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your review, I was very pleased to read that your stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable. I have passed on your very kind comments to my Head Housekeeper and other Heads of Department.
london
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stay at this hotel a lot for Business and Leisure (we even spent xmas eve there!) and on every visit it has been spotless and friendly (although it must be said, some are more welcoming than others). Joseph the night porter is an asset and nothing is too much trouble for him. He takes great pride in his job and works really hard! I'm from Wigan so it's nice to go home and experience good Northern hospitality. I always recommend this hotel.
Thanks x

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
I was very pleased to read that your stays with us have been comfortable and enjoyable and even more so that you have chosen to stay with us on a number of occasions.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding Joseph, which I have passed on to him and the Reception Manager.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Elland, Halifax
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on the All Inclusive deal, 7th and 8th Feb. We were a group of 8 and everyone of us had a fabulous time. We loved it. Rooms, food, bar, seating area etc etc. Brilliant. 1 tiny gripe if any was that the pillows were a bit hard for me but I don't make a song or dance about it, they didn't ruin my stay in the slightest. Perfect location for shopping and what a lovely little town it is. Biggest B and M bargains in the world haha! We will definitely come again. Don't listen to the bad reviewers, I definitely think they were in a different hotel. Go and make up your own mind.
See you again soon Wigan.......

Room Tip: Myself and my partner had room 514 and was spot on.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your very kind comments.
Customer satisfaction is our highest priority and I am always delighted to read that guests have enjoyed their stay.
We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wigan
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Mercure Haydock Hotel
Mercure Haydock Hotel
#1 of 3 in Haydock

Been to Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!