“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Wigan
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We have just returned from a two night All Inclusive break at the Oaks. Arrived on Sunday and was checked in by Dimitrius. A welcoming prompt and professional check in. We had room 507 which was well presented and serviced to a good standard throughout our stay. Thanks housekeeping. All the food was well cooked and presented. The drink was free flowing. A big thanks to Kay Natasha Melissa and Sandra for making our stay so good. If you do another All Inclusive we will be back. Superb value for money. Thanks

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel and for your wonderful comments. I was delighted to read that your stay with us was so enjoyable and have passed a copy of your of your review to all staff. We do offer all inclusive packages throughout the year, with our next one being for the Easter period.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently for a night as we were going to Robin Park as it was the closest hotel I could find. When I checked in and out it couldn't have been any smoother or straightforward. The staff at reception were friendly and welcoming. My room was nice, clean and tidy and I got a good nights sleep. In the morning there was a bit of road noise caused by and ambulance or some kind of emergency vehicle but that is not the hotels fault. We had a bar snack when we arrived of pizza and a toasted sandwich which was nice and tasty. In the morning our stay included breakfast and that too was good, and set us up for the rest of the day. Breakfast was a buffet there were only scrambled eggs on show but we were fine with this. Tesco is right next door and the kids went there and topped up on snacks for the evening and it is 24 hours so if you need anything else this is only a couple of minutes away across the road from the hotel. There is a nice bar area which had a nice quiet atmosphere. Many people were eating in the restaurant and people were in the bar for a few drinks. I am due to return to Wigan next year and will certainly book this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
I am delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable. Thank you for especially for your very kind comments regarding the food, which I have passed on to my Head Chef.
We look forward to seeing you again next year.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for one night . Hotel location is good. Front counter is very friendly . Was shown to one room, hallway was very dark and smelt of cigarette which I'm very sensitive too as I suffer from asthma . They changed our room ,and we were given a really spacious clean room with king bed . Overall I would stay here again .

Room Tip: Close to everything
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your review and was pleased to read that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments regarding the smell of cigarette smoke on the corridor was of great concern. I have spoken to my Head Housekeeper regarding this, as we are a non-smoking hotel and we have introduced new methods to prevent this policy from being abused.
I was pleased to read your kind comments regarding the bedroom and, in particular, that you would stay with us again. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel for one night and found our stay rather disappointing. On arrival the car park was full of vans so parking was tight. Reception was okay and the staff were helpful. The bar area lacks character and warmth. Food prices are pretty steep for what they are and drinks are quite pricey, wines being particularly expensive. Our room was quite spacious but the lighting in the bathroom was poor. We also found a pair of socks left by the previous guest and a large screw on the carpet. House keeping had failed to do their job thoroughly. Our sleep quality was average, as other guests have commented; there is a busy room along side and a hospital nearby so expect sirens during the night. I don’t think we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silverfox468
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. I was sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We do try to keep our drinks prices in line with competitor hotels, but obviously cannot compete with bars and social clubs.
I do apologise for the problems you encountered in the bedroom and have spoken to my Head Housekeeper regarding this, as this is certainly not to our usual standards. With regards to your comments about external noise, we receive very few adverse comments regarding this as the nearby road quietens around 9.00pm and I am sure you can appreciate that we cannot be accountable for any noise from the surrounding area - the hospital you mentioned is actually situated more than a mile from the hotel.
I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and would be happy to personally ensure that this was as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
Bangor, N Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed a couple of nights at Mercure Oak while in Wigan on a training course as it was the closest hotel to where the course was taking place. Check in and out was smooth and straightforward, and the staff were friendly and welcoming. My room was warm, clean and tidy and I was able to get a good nights sleep. There is a bit of road noise if you are in a room at the front of the hotel but it isn't too intrusive and dies off around 10pm. Food in the restaurant was very good indeed, with plenty of choice on the menu, and Franco is a great host. Breakfast too was very good, enough to really set you up for the day. Just one thing to note - although the breakfast is a buffet there are only scrambled eggs on offer. Poached or fried eggs are made to order (it means they are fresh and not dried up from sitting under a heat lamp) but I only found out about this when I overheard another guest asking. Perhaps a small notice is needed at the breakfast bar? If you need anything else while you are here the town centre is only a couple of minutes away and there is a huge 24hr supermarket directly across the road from the hotel. For those who like a walk or a run there is a riverside path along the side of the supermarket which goes right up into the countryside. My colleague said the hotel doesn't have much atmosphere but this really isn't a problem as we were on business, not a holiday, and the restaurant and bar are both fine for a quiet meal or a few drinks. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PaulHFromCranley
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was very pleased to read that enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your very kind comments, particularly regarding the staff, which I have passed on to all departments.

I acknowledge your comments regarding the poached and fried eggs and we have ensured that guests signs are more visible in the restaurant area to avoid any delays. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

We had to move into a hotel as our house is being gutted so we stayed here for 4 nights, the room was nice, the staff where friendly and a special mention to the housekeeping team as I forgot to pack my electric toothbrush but they put it to one side for me, would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your review, I was very pleased to read that your stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable. I have passed on your very kind comments to my Head Housekeeper and other Heads of Department.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wigan
Macdonald Kilhey Court
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Haydock Hotel
Mercure Haydock Hotel
#3 of 3 in Haydock

Been to Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!