“Excellent food”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Wigan
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Very tidy hotel with pleasant staff. Ideally located for town centre and has free parking. Most outstanding thing is the food. Haven't had a bad meal yet and still working my way through the excellent menu.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jgoodsell
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank your review and, in particular, for your very kind comments regarding the food. Each and every aspect of a guests stay is as important as the next and I was very pleased to read that your stay with us was enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. Check in was fine and the receptionist was friendly and acknowledged my Gold A-Cub member status with a welcome drink. The room itself was fine and the bathroom looked recently refurbished which was a pleasant surprise. Sadly I felt uncomfortable before entering the room due to the poor lighting in the corridor. I’m not sure if the lights were on a movement sensor but the corridor was very gloomy and unnerved me a bit as a woman on my own.
I had an evening meal in the restaurant which was okay. The food was fine but nothing special. The same could be said for breakfast the following day. All in all it was okay for one night but I wouldn’t want to stay for longer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank YorkshireWildgoose
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that you were not totally satisfied with your stay as this is of the utmost importance to us. I accept your comments regarding the lighting in the bedroom corridor, we are currently looking into this to see if we can rectify this issue.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at the Mecure Hotel on a Saturday night just over 2 weeks ago. At 5am we were awoken by residents banging on hotel room doors in the corridor. They were shouting to get inside one of the rooms, they were wedding guests from a reception that evening. We rang the hotel reception to complain but nothing happened and this continued until they finally got into their room. Then at 9am the residents in the room adjoining ours woke up and started up loud conversations again, it was so noisy you could hear every element as if they were sitting on the edge of our bed. In a good standard hotel, you would not expect to be placed on the same floor as all the wedding guests and especially not in an adjoining room. We reported this to the desk clerk and she said the manager was not available but that he would be in touch. I do not normally write trip advisor reviews, especially to give negative feedback but we spoke to the hotel twice over the course of our stay and have yet to receive the response from the management that we were promised.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms have no sound proofing.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Junevre
Please accept my sincere apologies for the unfortunate circumstances that you encountered during your stay with us. I was very disappointed to learn of this and have spoken to my reception team and night managers regarding this. As I was on annual leave at the time, I am sorry that I was not able to speak to you personally. We do try to allocate non-adjoining rooms unless requested however, as I am sure you can appreciate, this is very difficult during busy periods.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hotel staff were helpful and the dinner and breakfast were what you would expect from a 3 star business hotel. The hotel looked a little worn in places and some staff looked as though they were on work experience, but very helpful.

Room Tip: No advice regarding choice of rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tony c
Thank you for your review. We do participate in a work experience scheme to give students the opportunity to improve their practical skills through on-the-job training, however we do take the initial necessary steps to ensure that this does not affect the level of service to our guests. The hotel is on a continuous programme of refurbishment and we continuously monitor for any areas that need improvement/updating.
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I've stayed in Oak Hotel several times and the last time it was for 8 weeks.
Hotel is the only one (for now) in Wigan and it's very good. Not all employees on the reception know very good how to handle some problem/mistake but they are very polite and they are trying to help you.
Service is very good but English breakfast is boring specially if you are staying longer. There is no heating in bathroom and heating in room is not very good. Wi-Fi in room is very very slow but rooms are very nice with huge bed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The most important thing to us is that our guests enjoy their stay, regardless of how long they are with us and I am pleased that overall you found our hotel comfortable. I am sorry that you were not totally satisfied with Breakfast and take on board your comments. I do hope that you will choose us for your next visit to the area. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights recently. The best thing here is the bed. It is comfortable. The hotel over all is very dated IMO. Staff were very friendly. But slow when it came to table service. Especially at breakfast. I was part of a large group and we waited at least half an hour for a jug of milk like. The coffee is grim. The shower is a tricky to work. The place could do with an uplift but the beds are good as I said. Close to city centre.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Centre p
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
I was a little disappointed to read your review and that your stay was not completely to your satisfaction. The hotel has recently had a £1.1m refurbishment, including all bedrooms and public areas, so your comments that the hotel was dated were rather a surprise to me. I do apologise for the delay in service, this is not acceptable and I have spoken to my Restaurant Manager and Breakfast Supervisor regarding this.