Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
  • Pool
US$70
US$74
Priceline
The Brocket Arms Hotel(Wigan)(Great Value!)
US$59
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Travelocity
Priceline
All reviewstown centreinclusive breakcomfortable bedgreat weekendstayed here for nightsnight porternight staybath showerdw stadiumgood nights sleeptea coffeewedding receptionbar areafull englishyogurtevening mealnight's sleep
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights with my family. On check in staff just give you room cards and a wifi card don't ask if we needed help bearing in mind my nan is 73 years of age carrying luggage. Wifi didn't even work. Room was very dull had to have lamp on at all times. gOod thing was the bathroom and the cleaners we're lovely compared to the actual hotel reception staff.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jayde97
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for your review. I was extremely disappointed to read your comments regarding check in and have discussed these with my Head Receptionist and her team. I apologise that no assistance was offered with luggage, as this is the normal procedure for guests. I do understand that this must have given you a negative view of the hotel, but can assure you that this was, in no way, our normal standards of service and immediate action has been taken as a result of your review.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week in this hotel, it's wasn't the worst hotel ever, food tasted like it was was reheated and wasn't very nice , the rooms very quiet nice but they could do with a clock ! Cuttery and glasses weren't very clean but the hotel was nice and is a nice place to stay!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lauren0010
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. Please let me assure you that all our food is prepared freshly and is never re-heated. It is always of concern when a guests experience is not to their expectations and I do hope this has not marred your impression of the hotel.

Assuring you of our best attention and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Was booked into this hotel for 2 nights. Parking not a problem and hotel reception was clean and tidy. Reception staff were friendly but distracted by staff from elsewhere popping over to borrow keys and ask questions so we weren't the priority when booking in. After being given our keys we were not directed to where the rooms were and it wasn't obvious as people in reception were blocking the small sign pointing down a corridor. Room was ok, near the lift and stairs so some noise from that and overlooking a busy road junction so plenty of noise from that. Best to ask for a room away from the road if you can. At breakfast the first morning it was busy and crowded. Again no clear idea of where to go to be seated, a few signs would have been nice. Had to wait in the lounge for a table to be ready and then when we were seated a bit later the waiter continued to lay the table over and around us as we ate which wasn't great. Cooked food selection was ok but the scrambled egg had lots of uncooked liquid run off, no other egg option and no bacon in the 5 minutes we stood waiting so we gave up and just had continental options which again were quite limited although there was a very wide range of juices on offer which was good. We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening and there was a wedding on when we returned that night but it didn't cause any disturbance in our rooms. The second morning breakfast was better organised as there seemed to be a manager on duty and she was very efficient. Loads more cooked food on offer and constantly being topped up but she needs to learn to smile more as well as being efficient as if was a bit cold dealing with her and it is also bad practice to loudly tell staff off in front of guests. Even worse that the staff members answer back under their breath! That said, what we had was good. Checking out again seemed to get in the way of the other things they wanted or needed to do and we weren't asked if we'd had a nice stay or anything. Customer service needs improving and teaching staff to smile more and focus on the customer while dealing with them could help. Room was clean and tidy and well set out although the strange small rail and hangers by the door rather than a wardrobe was bizarre. Bed was very, very soft which is great if you like that but I prefer it less so but it wasn't uncomfortable and so not a massive problem. Bathroom was clean and tidy and shower pressure was good. A few tweaks and this could be a very good hotel, it just has some staff issues.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JCP1970

Thank you for review. All comments are incredibly valuable to us in order to maintain and improve the services that we offer to our guests. I have discussed all the points you raised with my Heads of Departments and can assure you that we are treating these extremely seriously.
All our guests should receive the same high levels of standard and service at all times and I apologise that this was not the case during your stay.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us in the future and am confident that you will receive the standards that both you and I expect.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had two nights stay at the hotel on bed and breakfast basis with friends in June 2014. Clean rooms and comfortable beds.
Excellent buffet breakfast with as much as you wanted to eat at the start of the day.

My only complaint was that some staff members seemed a bit glum at the time of our visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, however your comments regarding the staff were slightly concerning as we normally receive very positive comments regarding customer care and service. I do apologise if you felt that this was not to the standard that you and I both expect.

Please visit us again soon - we look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The room was all that you needed and very clean.
The food was well cooked but service was a little on the slow side.
As we were with a coach party we ate in the Conservatory, which was a very pleasant room overlooking
a garden.
There is also a pretty garden with a seating area off the reception area.
Would stay in this Hotel again

Room Tip: We had room 106 on the ground floor - although it overlooked the laundry area of the Hotel it was very quiet and clean. Some members on our coach party who were at the front of the Hotel said it was a bit noisy with many ambulances going past.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

A copy of your very kind comments has been passed to all departments. I do apologise for the slight delay in service and hope that this did no detract from your enjoyment.

We hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.