“Raw Chicken”

The Tavern Bar&Thai Restaurant
Price range: US$22 - US$40
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Rich in its Eastern references, The Tavern Bar and Thai Restaurant offers Wigan���s diners a sumptuous dining experience with a strong Thai feel. Passers by may mistake The Tavern to be just another high-end pub but stepping inside this old Victorian drinking establishment, you���ll discover an exciting fusion of East and West, the antique wood carved bar surrounded by high tables and stools yet lit by printed silk lamps and dotted with pretty pink orchids. Through to the expansive dining room, The Tavern becomes increasingly sophisticated with a romantic atmosphere. The space is surrounded by beautiful Thai artefacts and yet more plants, the lighting low and warm and tables generously spaced. As well as the traditional dishes Thai restaurants are known for, The Tavern���s talented kitchen offers a fine selection of its own creative takes on South East Asian cuisine, using authentic ingredients such as lemongrass, galangal and coconut milk, flown in direct from Thailand weekly, to evoke the traditional flavour of Thai cookery.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had heard good reviews about this place and after an alright starter, my Chicken Pad Thai arrived. I realised after about ten minutes that some of the chicken was raw. I told the waitress at the end of the meal and she apologised. There was only three people in the entire restaurant who were eating therefore serving raw food was unforgivable. When I got my bill, they knocked off the price of one beer but charged me the whole price for the chicken. Very poor customer service.

2  Thank JEdgehill
foodlover272014, Guest Relations Manager at The Tavern Bar&Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for taking time in giving us a review,

I have investigated this matter and confirming the story line with our CCTV.

The staff have been serving you the food as you stated, however they have asked you on whether everything is okay with your meal shortly after the food was served and you at that time didn't address your concern about the 'raw chicken' making the assume that everything is fine. However once you finish your meal with an empty plate, there was nothing left to been seen by the 'raw chicken' then you have informed them of the matter. If you have address the matter earlier we would of course take care of the matter and cook you a brand new dish to ensure that you were happy and that the chicken is cooked. As there were no chicken left on the plate I cannot truly investigate into this matter future, but I have discussed this with our chef to ensure that all our food is cooked to our standard and that something like this will not happen in Tavern.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was a regular at the Tavern when the live music (Wigan Music Collective) gigs were there and perhaps me missing that put me off visiting its replacement earlier - but once I got there - WOW!

The bar area is exactly the same (no bad thing) and the inside decor is aesthetically pleasing and very much matches the delicious, carefully crafted meals we were given. The dishes were stunning, service well timed and curtious and prices reasonable. It was also pleasing at the variety of vegeterian dishes available - though everybodys meals looked great.

The restaurant is well geared for groups (with advance notice) and would be lovely for couples.

The only thing that could have topped it was if there was still someone in the corner playing an acoustic guitar - but that's just being greedy!

Well worth a visit - check it out!

1  Thank andymook

Hi,

Thank you for giving us a great review. We do have music events at the tavern, please look out for more information on our Facebook page to keep up to date with event, news and offers.

Tavern

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Treated ourselves to a meal out at the weekend, wanted to try somewhere we hadn't been before in the local area. We saw the reviews on here so thought we would give the Tavern a try! We were not disappointed, lovely place, friendly staff, great atmosphere and fabulous food - there was a little hiccup with one of the meals which was put right without any fuss. We will definitely be returning in the near future :) great value too!

Thank you for giving us a positive review, we looking forward to be seeing you in the near future.

Taven

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great food. I have visited several places in Thailand and believe the food is on par. I love thai food and will definitely be visiting again when in Wigan as I live in Edinburgh. Only disappointment was that there was no sticky rice and mango on the dessert menu. Service was excellent. Thank you

Thank you for giving Tavern a feedback, we looking forward to be seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We ate at this great restaurant last night (26/04/14), and what a great meal we had. From the mixed shared starter to our main course curries.

Great flavours, textures and presentation I can't find any fault.

You would necessarily link Wigan and great food!!! I am happy to say that you really can!!!!

We will be back.

Thank you for taking your time in giving Tavern a positive feedback.

We looking forward to be seeing you very soon.